Plan B

Hi_what

Hello people!

I've applied for high energy physics-pheno/theory to 13 universities. I'd organised keeping in mind the ambitious-moderate-safe thing, but now I'm worried if I overestimated myself. My list might have been too ambitious, what if I don't have any safe ones?

If I don't get in anywhere, I'd like to have a backup plan. Maybe like apply to places in Europe with later deadlines. Could you suggest a few places for hep with deadlines after the results of the current applications come out?

At the moment, I don't think I can apply to any more because I am depressed and waiting to get better. It would be a huge help, thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Hi_what said:

Hello people!

I've applied for high energy physics-pheno/theory to 13 universities. I'd organised keeping in mind the ambitious-moderate-safe thing, but now I'm worried if I overestimated myself. My list might have been too ambitious, what if I don't have any safe ones?

If I don't get in anywhere, I'd like to have a backup plan. Maybe like apply to places in Europe with later deadlines. Could you suggest a few places for hep with deadlines after the results of the current applications come out?

At the moment, I don't think I can apply to any more because I am depressed and waiting to get better. It would be a huge help, thanks in advance.

I know in psych - different field - PhD applications open up as soon there is 'money'. So that means any time during the year really. EU may not be 'easier' as I know there's a slight preference for EU citizens due to the grants students can apply to as well during their PhD (i.e., a Dutch PhD student in NL can apply to more sources of money than a non-EU or even another EU applicant).

I know this is vague, but if you can find theory groups affiliated with cern in Europe, you will be in a sweet position if they have funding. I worked at cern once upon a time and there were a surprisingly high number of theoreticians on site. 

Have you considered study at the perimeter institute? Had some friends who went through there for masters (pre PhD) and loved it.