History writing sample advice?

historygeek

I'm writing an honors thesis next year, which I was hoping to use as a writing sample when I apply to graduate schools. However, I'm unsure if I can produce a super polished piece of work by the December 1st deadlines. I've thought about writing a piece during the summer that relates to my field, or the piece I'm writing for my internship which is in my field, but I'm unsure. Help?

• 1 month later...

I assume you will be applying for F19. If you can start it over the summer do that or build upon a current piece of work. It will be hard to start a research project from scratch in September and finish in December. You may need to go find or wait to access your primary sources. It’s possible, but I would want to have more cushion room for edits or unexpected conclusions.

When schools say polished it means two things: polished in terms of grammar and writing style yes, but perhaps more importantly, polished in the sense that it is a well rounded piece of historical work. The biggest things are situating your primary sources  at the center of your analysis and showcasing whatever languages you have/will need for your field. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with narple about polished.  If you write your undergrad honors thesis with the intention of walking with the highest honors, you'll be in a position to use it for a grad school application.  Your thesis advisor will be your best resource.  Regarding your original question, write both and choose the best one!  

On 12/27/2017 at 6:10 PM, historygeek said:

I've thought about writing a piece during the summer that relates to my field, or the piece I'm writing for my internship which is in my field, but I'm unsure. Help?

Thanks everyone! I’ve tentatively decided on a piece in case my thesis doesn’t work out. It’s a relatively original topic, well-written (I think, at least), and uses a variety of primary sources.