Changing Fields Please help

Keima

Background: I recently graduated from undergrad with no economics or math courses in college. I also do not have any internship in this field .

Right now, I’m considering switching fields to Economics. I’m thinking first taking free Coursera classes in the field to see if I really like it. Then, take online classes from an accredited univesity, and then a masters, since I have no experience. Can anyone recommend good programs for these? 

As for career wise, I don’t really have a strong goal as to what job I want yet since I just considered all these as possibility. Sorry about all the uncertainties, and I hope I’m posting in the right forum. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 8:36 PM, Keima said:

Background: I recently graduated from undergrad with no economics or math courses in college. I also do not have any internship in this field .

Right now, I’m considering switching fields to Economics. I’m thinking first taking free Coursera classes in the field to see if I really like it. Then, take online classes from an accredited univesity, and then a masters, since I have no experience. Can anyone recommend good programs for these? 

As for career wise, I don’t really have a strong goal as to what job I want yet since I just considered all these as possibility. Sorry about all the uncertainties, and I hope I’m posting in the right forum. 

I would recommend UT's Masters program, as it is only one year and does not have a thesis requirement, though to be honest if you have not background in math it may be difficult to complete the MA. They do have a math camp over the summer, but it is usually just a review for students. I would suggest taking courses at a local community college if you are serious about econ. You need at least Calc 1, but I  would even do up to Calc 3. Calc 2 is pretty useless for Econ, but multivariable optimization is something you will do pretty much nonstop in graduate level econ courses.