My current school wants me to stay for my PhD but I don't want to. Diplomacy help please?

PinkGibbon

Question

Hi everyone!  I'm currently in a terminal masters program at a PhD-granting university.  I am going to finish out my masters here, but I don't like the PhD programs they offer and I feel like a few other universities are more in line with my goals.  However, several people (including mentors, a work study boss, and an administrator) are expecting me to stay.  How do I broach the subjects of asking for references or turning down opportunities that extend past my MS graduation date without sabotaging my last few months here?  Should I be afraid of retribution, like in some posts I've read?

1 answer to this question

I think you could simply say that at this time you aren't interested in pursuing a PhD and leave it there. Obviously, that won't work if you are currently applying to PhD programs. If you are, then talk about the fit between your interests and those at other programs.