Skype vs in person interview??

I posted this in one of the general forums too, but I find that people in the psychology forums are more active and respond to more posts..

So I have a question regarding interviews for counseling psychology programs. I’ve received 3 interviews so far but two of these fall on the same day.. one of the programs is one of my top choices for academic and personal reasons (my partner would have a job in that city by transferring locations through their current job), the other program is also high on my list and provides better funding, Lower cost of living, etc. Both are great schools. School A has declined me any alternatives to the interview day but School B said I can do a skype interview as an alternative (school B is higher on my list though). My question is whether doing my interview via skype could hurt my admission chances at all as I really don’t want to do anything to automatically bump me down the list if that makes sense. This is the only way that I would be able to interview with both schools... but I’ve received conflicting advice on this from different people. Any advice is appreciated!!!

Personally I would do the Skype interview if the two schools are somewhat close on your list (top 1 and 2). I would start off the Skype call, or say in an email to the POI, that "while school B is my top choice, I already committed for an on campus interview with school A, and I don't want to destroy bridges between  professor X in case an opportunity arises where I can work with them later in my academic career" or something similar. 

I think it also matters how highly you think you place on their application list. If one is a stretch school while the other is more realistic, go to the other. 

Edited by Developmental33

I would NOT say that you do not want to destroy a potential working relationship with Professor X, I don't think you need to go into that much detail by giving names. Also, of course everyone interprets things differently, but for some reason saying that doesn't sit right with me personally. On one hand it could come off as impressive that you are thinking so far ahead, but on the other hand it could come off as going to an interview even when your heart isn't in it and wasting the department's resources (I assume they are paying for your travel and arranging housing accommodations for you) while simultaneously taking away an opportunity from another equally qualified student who may want the opportunity more than you do. Not saying that any part of the latter is true but that is how it could be interpreted. Just saying "School B is one of my top choices but I have already committed to attending an interview during the same weekend elsewhere/at School A" is sufficient.

Aside from that, if I were in your shoes, I would also go to the in-person interview at School A and the Skype interview at School B because I would not want to cut School A off my list just because I like School B more. I'm the type of person who likes to keep my options open, because who knows after visiting/meeting students and faculty whether or not I will still like School A less? 

Unfortunately, the reality is that you do miss out on certain opportunities by doing a Skype interview over going in person. No one can say with 100% certainty that the Skype would either have no effect or would hurt your chances. I will say however that I was accepted into one of my top choice schools following a Skype interview. 

Edited by 01sonal