SIPA Admission - got it

Hi,

I am an International student. I got through SIPA - MIA. The cost of the program is a big concern for me.

Can anyone comment on employment statistics for foreign students. The only way I can possibly pay the loans is if I get a job in US. Is it easier to get loans from US (for foreign students)?

Thanks in advance. And congrats to all those who got in!

Edited by MPAIndia2010

Hi - I have a similar concern with respect to SIPA as well as other related schools (including Fletcher).

Can somebody shed light on this? Are there any good scholarships available where I can still apply?

Thanks a ton for all your help.

Hi,

I am an International student. I got through SIPA - MIA. The cost of the program is a big concern for me.

Can anyone comment on employment statistics for foreign students. The only way I can possibly pay the loans is if I get a job in US. Is it easier to get loans from US (for foreign students)?

Thanks in advance. And congrats to all those who got in!

Edited by International_Relations

Hi - I have a similar concern with respect to SIPA as well as other related schools (including Fletcher).

Can somebody shed light on this? Are there any good scholarships available where I can still apply?

Thanks a ton for all your help.

As for the funding issue, I think it seems to be kinda late to apply for most of the major scholarship programs (fulbright, UN, WorldBank...) so maybe you can try in your home country and see whether they offer funding there? Also see with your local UNESCO commission.

From the Admission blog:

The Admission Committee continues to move right along in finalizing decisions.  I just wanted to provide quick update and state that over 60% of our decisions have been made.  In addition, I can let you know that decisions will be posted well into next week.  So hang in there, we still have a way to go but are working as quickly, and accurately, as we can and appreciate your patience.

20% more... Anyone got a reply yesterday or today from the admission committee?

Also, did someone contact SIPA to find out when those possibly receiving scholarships will be notified? 

From the Admission blog:

20% more... Anyone got a reply yesterday or today from the admission committee?

Also, did someone contact SIPA to find out when those possibly receiving scholarships will be notified?

Still have yet to hear back from SIPA. I'm wondering if there is any order to this process though. It seemed on the first few days (at least according to the Results Search) that a vast majority of the decisions were admits...then there were several rejections in the days afterward. Are they saving rejections until last to give out? Probably not, but if so, it seems a cruel trick. Ugh...as much as i try not to read too much into everything, it's hard not to.

I haven't received word from SIPA yet, and am reading into it that either:

A. I'm a borderline case and they're deciding whether to accept or reject me

OR

B. I'm being considered for a fellowship

I'm thinking it's A and I'm at least happy they didn't reject me right away (my personal statement was not terribly strong)

OR

I'm thinking it's A and I'm at least happy they didn't reject me right away (my personal statement was not terribly strong)

Agreed. I'm probably A as well. I'm just out of undergrad with little to no work experience, so I'm not expecting to get in exactly. But wouldn't it be nice if we were in the B category?

OR

I'm in the exact same situation as you, Minerva473. Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of situation A vs. situation B?

I'm in the exact same situation as you, Minerva473.  Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of situation A vs. situation B?

Well given the fact that already 60% got an admin answer, and approx. 10% get 1st year funding, I guess the likelihood to receive a scholarship is 1/4. Not bad knowing we had only 10% chances at the beginning of the process! 

No, don't ask me, I HATE maths, it's just that sometimes it's useful to try to distress!

Well given the fact that already 60% got an admin answer, and approx. 10% get 1st year funding, I guess the likelihood to receive a scholarship is 1/4. Not bad knowing we had only 10% chances at the beginning of the process! 

No, don't ask me, I HATE maths, it's just that sometimes it's useful to try to distress!

The SIPA blog says that decisions have been made for 60% of applicants, doesn't say anything about notifications. It looks like they're releasing their admissions in batches, especially since it doesn't seem like many people have gotten notification since last Fri.

I wouldn't fret too much. They were sending out acceptances, rejections, and wait listings last week and continued to send them past March 20 last year based on older posts. We all still have just as good a chance as anyone!

<I haven't received word from SIPA yet, and am reading into it that either:

I'm a borderline case and they're deciding whether to accept or reject me

OR

Glad to see I'm not the only one doing the math on SIPA's prolonged silence...

On the one hand, there have to be more rejections and waitlistings to come. On the other hand, the admissions blog said that the school offers twice as much in funding as there is money available (in anticipation of turned-down offers), so maybe even more than 10% are in for an offer?

Edited by econister

. . . of course, that's 10% of admitted students, so even double that would only leave the remaining 40% of us with a 1/5 shot or so

Yeah but in this case you may prefer being pessimistic!!

Received a decision at 2:42 est. Denied. Good luck to everyone else.

I'm actually neither upset or offended. I would have been an excellent student there and an even better alumnus. Their loss, really. biggrin.gif

I wonder if it's because the third word in my essay was missing one out of two letters? ohmy.gif Nah, it's probably my undergraduate GPA. That's rather myopic considering how much relevant professional experience I have.

I think a more interesting question is when was their app submitted. A friend of mine submitted his weeks ahead of me and already got results. Me, nothing...yet.

I believe they said that they started the review process at the end of Jan. Likely it's accelerated at this point this some apps had to wait for extra material, be re-reviewed etc. I hope I hear in the next week.

I was admitted to SIPA, submitted my application the day before the deadline, and was notified on March 4th of the admissions decision. Also, my last name starts with "E."

Still nothing from SIPA, and little help from the admissions blog as of late. Getting sort of frustrated at this point. When would be the appropriate time to call and ask for an update from admissions? I don't want to pester them or anything, but it's difficult having to wait so long after decisions already started going out.

I haven't heard from SIPA either...

It seems that last year quite a few decisions dragged on to toward the end of March... I would wait at least another week before contacting them.

Still nothing from SIPA, and little help from the admissions blog as of late. Getting sort of frustrated at this point. When would be the appropriate time to call and ask for an update from admissions? I don't want to pester them or anything, but it's difficult having to wait so long after decisions already started going out.

Congratulations! Was SIPA your first choice? What are your plans in terms of funding?

I'm still waiting to be contacted. This is such a different experience from Heinz and Chicago's CIR (for those I was contacted in mid-to-late February).

Just heard from Sipa too: got admitted, with no funding though... Im happy, but in the same time quite worried about how to pay for it. I'm waiting for a Fulbright reply, if not I think I'll take on a loan in euros to pay for the school!

Good luck to all those remaining. Wensday should be the day funding notifications will be out!