Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2010-2011

LisaRog

An important note: last year's application deadline was a full month later than this year's: last year is was Dec 1 (2009).

So it took them about 5 months to get back to us last year. By that logic, we should expect to receive word any day now.

The Fulbright coordinator at my school told me that the earlier deadline was a result of budget issues. In other words, because they have few staff who can process applications, they anticipated that the process would take longer than last year's. They pushed the date up because in order to deliver results around the same time as they did in previous years. Based on this information, I would not start worrying until the end of April or early May.

For those of you who applied last year, did your results come by regular mail or email from your university? I don't expect that we´ll hear til the end of the month or even May, but I'm curious. Also, do you know if Fulbright Hays requires an orientation stateside or in-country meetings throughout?

For those of you who applied last year, did your results come by regular mail or email from your university? I don't expect that we´ll hear til the end of the month or even May, but I'm curious. Also, do you know if Fulbright Hays requires an orientation stateside or in-country meetings throughout?

Email from university coordinator.

No idea about requirements.

I don't think it was in May. I think it was early April last year.

no, last year we heard on 4/28/2010... so end of April (and that was without a big federal budget crisis looming on the horizon)

anyway, we'll see soon enough when they notify this year.

Regarding notification timetable: everyone finds out at the same time of their status -- finalist, alternate, or rejected -- at the same time, regardless of regions.

hope this helps

I just received the following e-mail from my university's Fulbright coordinator:

Hi there,

The US Department of Education Program Officer for the Fulbright-Hays DDRA informed me that they hope to have funding decisions in May. The process has been caught up in the continuing resolution/budget battle. I know many of you are anxious for news. Thanks for your patience. I will inform you of results as soon as I hear.

Thanks for posting this.

I just received the following e-mail from my university's Fulbright coordinator:

Hi there,

The US Department of Education Program Officer for the Fulbright-Hays DDRA informed me that they hope to have funding decisions in May. The process has been caught up in the continuing resolution/budget battle. I know many of you are anxious for news. Thanks for your patience. I will inform you of results as soon as I hear.

This is good to know, but it is also disappointing. I had hoped that maybe their budget for this round was already set and not involved in the current trouble. Oh well, it is what it is.

Cause for concern?

The budget deal includes proposed cuts of nearly $50 million from Title VI...

"Overlooked in this report is the hatchet taken to International Education and Foreign Language programs, which lost $50 million, cutting funding by 40%. This will gut a host of Title VI and Fulbright-Hayes programs, including the National Research Centers and FLAS fellowships (complete list below).

Programs Authorized Under Title VI of the Higher Education Act

* American Overseas Research Centers

* Business and International Education

* Centers for International Business Education

* Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships

* Institute for International Public Policy

* International Research and Studies

* Language Resource Centers

* National Resource Centers

* Technological Innovation and Cooperation for Foreign Information Access

* Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Program

Programs Authorized Under the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act (Fulbright-Hays Act)

* Fulbright-Hays Training Grants--Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad

* Fulbright-Hays Training Grants--Faculty Research Abroad

* Fulbright-Hays Training Grants--Group Projects Abroad

* Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad--Bilateral Projects"

I urge you to write to your senators and representatives. Here is a draft of my letter:

I wanted to write to plead for your help in saving the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Research Abroad program.

As you probably know, the budget compromise reached last week cuts $50 million from the International Education and Foreign Language programs, cutting funding by 40%. If the current budget is approved, this will gut a host of Title VI and Fulbright-Hayes programs, including the National Research Centers and FLAS fellowships.

As a graduate student, I can tell you that our research would not be possible without federal funding. I believe that the work I do is important, and that if I were funded, I would be able to produce and publish important scholarly findings. However, without federal funding, I will not be able to complete my research. This represents a risk not only to me, but also to all those whom might have otherwise benefited from my research.

I urge you to protest this attack on the single most important source of funding for doctoral research conducted abroad. Thank you.

Feel free to copy/paste/amend as you see fit. Please help get the word out!

I urge you to write to your senators and representatives. Here is a draft of my letter:

Feel free to copy/paste/amend as you see fit. Please help get the word out!

Thank you for sending this along. I wrote mine when I first heard about this back in February and just finally got a response back last week. The response is actually quite lengthy, so I won't quote the whole thing, but here are some of my favorite parts:

"I believe that it is in the national interest of the United States to carefully and strategically provide funding for selected humanitarian, peacekeeping, and diplomatic initiatives around the world. For example, food security is directly related to world-wide economic growth and security. When individuals are able to access affordable and sufficient food for their families, they will be less likely to turn to violence and crime as a way of survival. In this way, our productivity and security are linked to the safety and well-being of other countries.

That being said, I am deeply concerned about the future financial stability of our government due to our overwhelming national debt. Regardless of the party, administration, or Congress in charge, our federal government has spent well beyond its means for many, many years. I am committed to fiscal responsibility, and lately our government has been anything but fiscally responsible.

There are many worthy goals for us to pursue, but we simply cannot do everything that everyone wants. Our children and grandchildren already will be left with an enormous burden and continuing down this path jeopardizes America's economic standing in the world. With a truly responsible federal budget, I fully believe that we could adequately fund those essential programs that are core federal responsibilities and that enhance the liberty, opportunity and welfare of all Americans.

As I suggested before, we need to ensure that our foreign assistance is directed to programs which are critical to our national security interests. The insight you have provided in your letter will certainly help my staff and me more effectively consider this issue as we debate future foreign assistance spending levels."

I'll respond. I'm just trying to find non-sarcastic things to say (as in beyond "boy, good thing military spending doesn't lead to violence! or "oh yeah? well I don't think your job is really that important either, buddy!"

Snarkiness aside, in my first message to my representatives, I made sure to explain why my particular research is important to the United States. In my response to his response, I plan on stressing that further. Where possible, I urge everyone to do so. The Fulbright was born out of the same atmosphere as the Defense Language Institute, the USIA, etc. -- that is, out of a need for U.S. citizens & government to understand the world better. While most of us intend to fit within this framework as contributing to "international understanding" and knowledge, it can be argued, I'm sure, that our research also contributes to national security interests.

What I'm trying to say, is that by now we've had some practice in spinning our project according to grant/fellowship committee. An effective way of approaching the letters might be to view them as grant applications now spun according to politics.

unfortunately no: the budget being voted on TOMORROW proposes to cut $50million dollars from Title VI, of which the Fulbright-Hays is part of. In this case, the program would lose almost 40% of its funding. There's not a lot of time, so please write to your reps today.

so does anyone know? the funding was continued at last year's level, right?

unfortunately no: the budget being voted on TOMORROW proposes to cut $50million dollars from Title VI, of which the Fulbright-Hays is part of. In this case, the program would lose almost 40% of its funding. There's not a lot of time, so please write to your reps today.

Just to support Lisarog's statement, you can go to http://whoismyrepresentative.com to find your representative and senator's contact info.

Budget cuts to FH and programs like it are terrible, and I support everyone's efforts to combat it. It may be, however, that these cuts will not affect this decision cycle, as they will take effect during the next fiscal year: http://chronicle.com/article/Language-and/127122/

on another note, from the Fulbright advisor at my U:

"For those of you who applied for Fulbright-Hays, I still have not received the results, but expect to hear by early May."

and the waiting continues.....

thanks everyone. I wrote congress, although I don't know how much good it will do.

Hmmm... I don't know. It sounds like the cuts are for this fiscal year, and thus for this year's applicants. Next year's funding levels may be restored to higher levels, but it will be too late for this year's applicants. The Fulbright-Hays process has been delayed b/c they were waiting to find out what the budget would do. That is how I read everything. I would love to be proved wrong.

Budget cuts to FH and programs like it are terrible, and I support everyone's efforts to combat it. It may be, however, that these cuts will not affect this decision cycle, as they will take effect during the next fiscal year: http://chronicle.com...age-and/127122/

"For those of you who applied for Fulbright-Hays, I still have not received the results, but expect to hear by early May."

See the excerpt from another article below. Sounds very much like we are talking about this year.

http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/5920

According to the Chronicle of Higher Learning, by maintaining Pell at a $5,550 maximum, the bill ensures that colleges won't have to backtrack on their financial-aid offers to families for the coming academic year.

"The budget deal finalizes financial-aid packages, allowing millions of families to breathe a sigh of relief," said Rich Williams, a lobbyist for the U.S. Public Interest Research Group.

yeah we are definitely talking about this year...

also, i'm pretty sure the budget passed the house today. this likely means that 60-70 of us who would have otherwise received funding will now be denied.

who else wants to share a cup of dismal misery with me?

See the excerpt from another article below. Sounds very much like we are talking about this year.

http://eastcountymag...e.org/node/5920

According to the Chronicle of Higher Learning, by maintaining Pell at a $5,550 maximum, the bill ensures that colleges won't have to backtrack on their financial-aid offers to families for the coming academic year.

"The budget deal finalizes financial-aid packages, allowing millions of families to breathe a sigh of relief," said Rich Williams, a lobbyist for the U.S. Public Interest Research Group.

Budget cuts to FH and programs like it are terrible, and I support everyone's efforts to combat it. It may be, however, that these cuts will not affect this decision cycle, as they will take effect during the next fiscal year: http://chronicle.com...age-and/127122/

Hi Qahira,

I didn't get that impression from the article -- especially where it says "Ohio State was expecting to receive $3-million for these programs in the current fiscal year, says Mr. Brustein. He is contacting members of Congress in hopes that the cuts can be reversed, though it's unlikely lawmakers will make changes in the plan at this date."

Either way, I agree with you ... even if I weren't to get it and even if it were for next year, since my research is international, this will affect my research in one way or another now or later.

Now I must get back to waiting ...

this seems like something that we should be able to verify. I'm not a fan of rumors.

I tried getting in touch with my university's coordinator, but he is out of the office.

Does anyone have a phone number for someone at the Fulbright Hays office, where we might be able to call tomorrow? (I assume it is already closed today.)

I agree it should be verified, but probably best to do it through university coordinators.

Note also that the financial resources and awards on the DDRA website for "FY 2010" are already out, which makes me tend to think that the budget agreement for fiscal-year 2011 will affect 2011 DDRA awards.

I wonder how they will distribute the cuts internally. Perhaps Fulbright-Hays will get hit less hard because the process for FY 2011 is already well underway, whereas for FLAS people it is just starting?

this seems like something that we should be able to verify. I'm not a fan of rumors.

I tried getting in touch with my university's coordinator, but he is out of the office.

Does anyone have a phone number for someone at the Fulbright Hays office, where we might be able to call tomorrow? (I assume it is already closed today.)

Edited by laska

By the way, Lisa Rog, sorry for missing your earlier informational post. I've been working like crazy on a paper so I was a bit preoccupied and bleary eyed.

Last thing I new, HR 1 didn't cut Title VI/Fulbright. Then blammo, HR 1473 lops off 40%. I mean, seriously, 40%. Really?! You've got to be kidding me. Who cuts 40% from a program one year to the next. Maybe 5%, or if really drastic, 10%.