Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

MSW Group Interview at Hunter College..suggestions??

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Capricorn87

Capricorn87

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hey everyone:
I have my group interview at Hunter College School of Social Work next week and i'm not sure how to prepare so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never been on a graduate school interview so I don't know what to expect. What types of questions are typically asked for MSW programs? Please Help Me :-)

#2 gilgo

gilgo

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Hey everyone:
I have my group interview at Hunter College School of Social Work next week and i'm not sure how to prepare so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never been on a graduate school interview so I don't know what to expect. What types of questions are typically asked for MSW programs? Please Help Me :-)

Hi, capricorn -- I had my interview yesterday. There were 9 of us in a round table discussion and there was one interviewer who would ask a question and each applicant had a chance to respond. It was pretty relaxed but I was nervous and don't think I did very well. Have a very clear explanation of why you want to go into social work and why Hunter specifically -- and then be prepared to answer questions pertaining to the field -- they are not really tough questions but I think if you have had very little experience in the field you might not know how to respond. He gave us several scenarios and asked us to respond. One thing I would suggest is not to answer right away, which is what I did -- because after two or three people answer it gives you a good sense of where to go with the question and makes it easier to respond but make it your own. Some examples are what would you do if you were a caseworker and in someone's home and they did such and such ... how would you handle it? or if someone was offensive or hostile how would you deal with it, etc.? Mostly common sense. Be prepared to answer something about culture, race, challenging populations and your own interests.

My best advice is take our time answering the question, don't rush through it out of nerves, use your common sense and be as natural as possible. I think the interview is fairly cut and dry -- it's being nervous that screws you up -- so just relax.

#3 sumeily

sumeily

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Program:MSW

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

My interview is this week and I am so nervous. I don't know what to expect. Ive been catching up on current events, especially on social issues hoping that it will come in handy. How did your interview go Capricorn?

#4 arch1209

arch1209

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Hi Friends....

My interview is also this week and super nervous about it. All the best to you guys!!!

#5 Gwasek

Gwasek

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights, NY

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have my Interview for Hunter MSW program on April 29. I would love to hear more suggestions on how everyone did. I hope we all make it into the program. I would imagine if we are getting called for an interview that we passed phase I; the written application and references part. I do have seven years experience in the field but am still very nervous. I do not do well under pressure. It usually takes me some time to answer. I think we should really make sure we listen to exactly what they are asking and, as the other blogger wrote, DO NOT RUSH.. That will only hurt us in the end. Good Luck to All !!! :unsure:

#6 sumeily

sumeily

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have my Interview for Hunter MSW program on April 29. I would love to hear more suggestions on how everyone did. I hope we all make it into the program. I would imagine if we are getting called for an interview that we passed phase I; the written application and references part. I do have seven years experience in the field but am still very nervous. I do not do well under pressure. It usually takes me some time to answer. I think we should really make sure we listen to exactly what they are asking and, as the other blogger wrote, DO NOT RUSH.. That will only hurt us in the end. Good Luck to All !!! :unsure:

#7 sumeily

sumeily

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi,

I had my interview on a friday and a week later I received an acceptance email--after the interview there isn't much waiting :). As far as the interview goes its more of a group discussion. There were 8 people in my group. We were given 2 scenarios and each given a chance to reply the "what if". There was also the question of why SW and how one is preparing to embark on the journey. There isn't much to it. I was actually shocked that specific questions were not asked about CV or related experience. Overall, it was fairly easy. Do take your time to answer, don't be the first :) and just go in relaxed because its very informal. Of course do dress business casual :). Let me know how it goes.

#8 Gwasek

Gwasek

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights, NY

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

I had my interview on April 29 and still have not recieved an answer.. Ahhhhhh.. I just wish they would let me know already .. I feel it went well .. :mellow:

#9 steelash

steelash

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHunter College
  • Program:M.S.W.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hope you all were accepted!!! For those who might be reading this now, I am interviewing at the end of this month for the Spring 2012 semester. If anyone will be interviewing for that same semester would you be interested in "practicing?" That is, a mock interview - brainstorming scenarios, etc. to prepare ourselves when the time comes. I am always a little anxious when it comes to these types of roundtable interviews.

I live in Queens so I am mobile.

#10 az1

az1

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

For those of you who have already had your interview, do you remember what types of questions were asked? How long the interview took? I realize that it is a group interview, so everyone's experiences could be different, but would just like a general idea of what it is like. Thanks!

#11 mgf86

mgf86

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

For those of you who have already had your interview, do you remember what types of questions were asked? How long the interview took? I realize that it is a group interview, so everyone's experiences could be different, but would just like a general idea of what it is like. Thanks!

Hey - Just a question since I saw you're also applying for the Fall of 2012... have you heard anything about your application, on the site does it just say that your application is complete and has been submitted or does it say that it is being reviewed? I'm wondering this because I wanted to know how long it takes them to start actually reviewing the applications for Fall 2012; maybe they wait closer to the deadline so they can compare aps?

#12 mswcandidate

mswcandidate

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

Hi everyone. I applied to Hunter Oct 1, they asked me for an interview at the end of Oct. Went for my interview on Nov. 2 and received my acceptance on Dec. 5 for the fall 2012. So they did start to look at the fall 2012 applicants.

My group interview lasted almost 2 hours, there was 8 in my group.

#13 az1

az1

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hey - Just a question since I saw you're also applying for the Fall of 2012... have you heard anything about your application, on the site does it just say that your application is complete and has been submitted or does it say that it is being reviewed? I'm wondering this because I wanted to know how long it takes them to start actually reviewing the applications for Fall 2012; maybe they wait closer to the deadline so they can compare aps?

Hunter's website just says that my application is complete/submitted. They definitely review applications as they are completed/submitted. When did you submit your application? Other people that have applied say that it takes roughly a month to hear about an interview, if you're invited for one.

#14 michelenancy

michelenancy

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHudson Valley, NY
  • Program:2 Year MSW: Albany, Hunter, Fordham

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

Took me a month to hear about an interview. I have mine on 2/24. I'm really hoping it doesn't take an entire extra month to receive notification after that!!

I'm really nervous since my undergrad is NOT social work, it's social science with a minor in psychology. I have taken 3 undergrad social work classes which AT LEAST helps, but I feel not as in the loop!

gguuuhhhh.

#15 kajeta

kajeta

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hi everyone,

For those of you who had your Hunter interview recently - any additional thoughts, comments or helpful pointers? I have mine on Friday. Bit nervous. Plus, it is a Skype interview - never had one of those. Any help would be much appreciated!

#16 msw_hopeful

msw_hopeful

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Program:Silberman School of Social Work

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hi all,

Just heard back from Hunter for an interview (applied to Hunter, NYU, Fordham and Yeshiva...this is the first program that has got back to me). I have mine on March 6. Really nervous but my strategy is just to be as honest and as I can! I don't think there is much more I can do with just under a week until then. Any additional advice/suggestions? Very open to anything. Thank you (:

Good luck to all!!!!

#17 mswapplicant

mswapplicant

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hi everybody,

My application for Hunter was complete on January 25, 2012...anyone else applied the same time and still didn't hear from them? I'm getting nervous.

#18 az1

az1

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

I have my interview on March 13! Looking forward to it - how have other people prepared?

#19 mswapplicant

mswapplicant

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

az1- when was your application completed?

#20 jbd1

jbd1

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Program:msw

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

my application was complete january 17th.. i interviewed last friday and was accepted yesterday. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users