Any stasticians here?

I wonder if those who completed their PH.D's in Stat like their work. People often fall into accounting, engineering, law, etc. because they can't figure out what else to do, and they become disillusioned with their work.

Perhaps some people go into stat grad schools because they don't know what else to do with their math background, etc. So how's the life after the grad school, is it similar to what you imagined it would be like?

Really, you think people go to grad school for stats because they are indecisive about what to do?? ?maybe so, that isnt the case with me.... With a good math background you could always go the actuarial rote, I want to do statistics(biostatistics) because I really enjoy it a lot.

With a good math background you could always go the actuarial rote

Yes, but this is another example of a field that is rarely intellectually satisfying, where people are frequently "disillusioned with their work" per OP's concern. It's easy to find people who have tried out actuarial work, because it's a field that's so easy to break into; it's much harder to get detailed data (no pun intended) on professional statisticians with PhDs.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So for those of you in Biostatistics, what made you become a Biostatistician or is it a formidable transition for a graduate of just Statistics to go into Biostatistics?