Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Thank you for your kinds words! On the off chance the grantee turns it down I would imagine BU would be willing to work with me... but who knows haha.

Speaking as someone who's B.A. is in History and who has lived in Siena for a month, I think your project sounds totally awesome. Looking forward to spending some time at Teatro Chigi?

Nice! Siena's such a great place. I've never actually been to the Chigi - scheduling conflicts and all that - but I look forward to enjoying it some day!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the primary drops and BU embraces the opportunity to have one of their students be a Fulbrighter!

Why haven't I found out yet WHhyhYYyhyhyyYYyyyyyYYyyYYY!!! I can't do it anymore!

haha, i knew going into this, that Africa would be one of the later countries being notified. We are working on african time here ah! On this time, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't know until June, haha ;-)

haha, i knew going into this, that Africa would be one of the later countries being notified. We are working on african time here ah! On this time, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't know until June, haha ;-)

but north africa is a part of the middle east region of fulbright. jermaine jones said it'd be by mid-april....that gives us one more week of waiting (hopefully at most).

Hi!

This message is for anyone accepted as an ETA to Indonesia. I am wondering if you have received information about pre-departure orientation dates? If so, please post, or post when you do find out? I am an alternate so any information you have is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi!

This message is for anyone accepted as an ETA to Indonesia. I am wondering if you have received information about pre-departure orientation dates? If so, please post, or post when you do find out? I am an alternate so any information you have is much appreciated!

Thanks!

there is no predeparture orientation.

Here's the response I got from Pam that I promised to share with all my Central America/Caribbean buddies out there:

Dear _________,

We are working to get the notification out as soon as possible. I hope by mid-April or so we will be letting applicants know.

Best, Pam

Hopefully this means we will know in the next couple of weeks.

Ok Caribbean / Central America people - one more week (hopefully)!

I just received the email that I will be an ETA to Taiwan!! So incredibly excited!

I also just found out that I'll be an ETA in Taiwan!! I can't wait!

Congratulations, you two!!!

Former lurker turned into first time poster here.

I was recommended for an ETA to South Africa, and I just got one of those very cruel "save the date" e-mails for the PDO. I've been extremely good about almost forgetting the Fulbright in the midst of trying to graduate, work, school and paying for school...but I've had a bad day and opening my email to see the subject: "SAVE THE DATE -- FULBRIGHT ETA" and then realizing it wasn't anything official just felt mean.

I'm right in assuming they sent that to everyone who's a finalist right?

I just received the email that I will be an ETA to Taiwan!! So incredibly excited!

I also just found out that I'll be an ETA in Taiwan!! I can't wait!

I also just received the Taiwan ETA. Have any of you received any information beyond what was in the email? It was very light on info. I also received the Critical Language Scholarship for this summer and don't know if I will be able to attend if the program dates or orientation overlap. If I can't do the CLS, I'd love to let the program know so someone can get off the wait list. I'm not going to be receiving the Fulbright snail mail letter anytime soon because my address has changed. If either of you have any information could you let me know? Thanks!

Former lurker turned into first time poster here.

I was recommended for an ETA to South Africa, and I just got one of those very cruel "save the date" e-mails for the PDO. I've been extremely good about almost forgetting the Fulbright in the midst of trying to graduate, work, school and paying for school...but I've had a bad day and opening my email to see the subject: "SAVE THE DATE -- FULBRIGHT ETA" and then realizing it wasn't anything official just felt mean.

I'm right in assuming they sent that to everyone who's a finalist right?

i had the same experience a few months ago when they sent me my save the date email :/

Hi Everyone, I finally broke down and created an account since I too feel we'll find out our final status this week. I'm a recommended candidate for a full grant to Tanzania. I haven't seen very many post about SSA but hopefully more people will post once they learn their final status.

Hi Everyone, I finally broke down and created an account since I too feel we'll find out our final status this week. I'm a recommended candidate for a full grant to Tanzania. I haven't seen very many post about SSA but hopefully more people will post once they learn their final status.

I'm a finalist for a full grant to Kenya! Really hoping this is the week...one way or the other, I just want the wait to be over.

I'm an ETA finalist for Rwanda and just got the "save the date" email as well. FWIW, I followed up a bit with Jermaine and got the following reply:

Pretty much all the Sub-Saharan African countries have submitted their selections, so my sense is that you and the other recommended candidates for that world region may be notified about your final standing by the end of this month—which is actually on track for when previous years’ recommended candidates for this region were also notified.

I hope this helps.

I'm an ETA finalist for Rwanda and just got the "save the date" email as well. FWIW, I followed up a bit with Jermaine and got the following reply:

Pretty much all the Sub-Saharan African countries have submitted their selections, so my sense is that you and the other recommended candidates for that world region may be notified about your final standing by the end of this month—which is actually on track for when previous years’ recommended candidates for this region were also notified.

I hope this helps.

I was informed last week that the country I had applied to had recommended candidates for receipt, also, but that "the final decision will be done by the IIE in Washington." Does IIE whittle down candidates even after the host country picks? Or do they weed people out with background checks between notifying us? Or maybe because I'm part of a regional grant, they have to figure out how many grants go to each country?... I am a little confused about it all. Oh well, I guess we'll hear soon enough.

Congrats, ETAs to Taiwan!

Oh wow, this is the most SSA applicants I think I've seen on this board. Anyone else apply to South Africa?

I had pretty much anticipated sometime within the next two weeks or so... luckily these next few weeks will be ridiculously full for me. By the way did anyone else notice the PDO was an entire week? I thought it would be more like two days at the most.

I also just received the Taiwan ETA. Have any of you received any information beyond what was in the email? It was very light on info. I also received the Critical Language Scholarship for this summer and don't know if I will be able to attend if the program dates or orientation overlap. If I can't do the CLS, I'd love to let the program know so someone can get off the wait list. I'm not going to be receiving the Fulbright snail mail letter anytime soon because my address has changed. If either of you have any information could you let me know? Thanks!

So far I haven't heard anything else. I will keep you updated! I think in the past the ETA program started around August 1st. Hopefully they will give us more concrete information soon!

I wish the notification dates were more uniform and released before the deadline to respond to graduate school. I've been really fortunate that my program is extending the deadline to respond, but it would be nice to be able to plan out the next few months. I'll either be starting my grad program or moving to Tanzania for a year.

Congrats on the recommendation to Tanzania!! I lived in Moshi and worked on Mt. Kilimanjaro 3 years ago! I also spent some time in Zanzibar - gorgeous! It is such a lovely place! Bahati nzuri, I hope you get it :-)