MPA/MPP/IR 2012 Applicants

First because I have no "big network" whatsoever, the kind you get when you take a solid and prestigious MA. So I'm sure it would boost my career more than keeping the work in the field as I'm doing now. Plus if I'm admitted, especially in Geneva, I would try my best to get a part-time job while studying. Not the Mc Donald's kind of student job I mean, something relevant given my professional profile (been working with refugees - forced migration - project development - fundraising strategies namely). So I don't see it as a professional pause in that respect.

Second because I'm wiling to go for a PhD at some point and being away from univ' makes it really tough. I could definitely find some decent university for that at the moment, but without any form of funding which I can't even think of. On the contrary if you take an MA in a place where you're already planning to get a doctoral degree it seems way easier. Geneva offers a fast-track option to start a PhD while you're still a 2d year MA Student and apparently good funding possibilities so I find it very interesting.

To a lesser extent I also feel very interested in all sorts of topics that I haven't studied, say negotiation-management-leadership-international relations from a political perspective. As a lawyer I've been learning various types of mechanisms, norms and practical difficulties within international law, as a student in social sciences I've been dealing with imaginary boundaries and sociopolitical analysis. But I'm missing the aforementioned skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here and looking to get some good feedback. I haven't applied yet because I am deciding if I really need to take the GRE yet or not since the school I am applying to doesn't require it, but it also can help with admissions. I'm also a vet, so I'm hoping that will help with admissions. I am applying to Penn State University's Online MPA program with a Certificate in Homeland Security and Safety.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPA w/Certificate in Homeland Security and Safety at Penn State University

Schools Applied To: Penn State University (only school I really like with an online MPA program). USC is kinda expensive and competitive, University of Illinois doesn't have the name recognition of Penn State, and I think with GWU you need 2 years of work experience?

Schools Admitted To: N/A

Schools Rejected From: N/A

Still Waiting: N/A

Undergraduate institution: University of North Florida

Undergraduate GPA: 3.25

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.45

Undergraduate Major: Criminal Justice

Minor: Political Science

I also have a Leadership Certificate from a department in my school

Made Dean's list 2x and have had 3-4 scholarships

GRE Quantitative Score: Haven't Taken Yet

GRE Verbal Score: Haven't Taken Yet

GRE AW Score: Haven't Taken Yet

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): Will probably be about 6 months

Years of Work Experience: 5?

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

-I've done 5 years in the Marine Corps Reserve with 13 months on active duty overseas in Afghanistan (OEF).

-I've done a federal internship for 3 months with the US Marshals Service at the federal courthouse

-2 month internship at a law firm

-Was President of a on-campus Student Veterans Association club for 1 semester

-Totalled 12 hours of being a Mentor for an On-Campus Transition group for students with disabilities

-Hoping to have a job in a logistics company in the next few weeks, so that will be something to add

Languages: N/A

Quant: N/A

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Will be strong, have a lot of leadership experience to talk about. Ive also passed the FBI, Customs and Border Patrol Officer, and possible the DEA Special Agent application tests too for which I am applying to.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have one from a former teacher/former ambassador who is running for State Senate in my state of Florida. The other is from my scholarship coordinator and the last is from another department. Should I use all teachers instead of my scholarship coordinator or should I keep her in there as a reference???

Other:

The reason why I don't want to take the GRE is because I have applied to a Virtual Internship with the State Department and if I manage to get it, I need admission to a graduate course by about September. It seems like I may need to be admitted to it by about September and the GRE may take a while to get back and is also costly. I would like to avoid it, but do you think with my GPA that I can get into the online program at Penn State??? I also don't have the amount of real world work experience as some of the other applicants, but I do have plenty of military experience and internship experience. Thoughts?

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, I don't know how active this forum still is, but I figured I would give it a shot. 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): Prospective to University of Michigan Ford MPP
Schools Applied To:
Schools Admitted To:
Schools Rejected From:
Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Large Public School
Undergraduate GPA: 3.97
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.97
Undergraduate Major: Political Science

GRE Quantitative Score: I have until January to take this. Starting the study process now
GRE Verbal Score:
GRE AW Score:

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0-1
Years of Work Experience:0-1 
Describe Relevant Work Experience: I basically have this year off before the 2015 semester starts. I will be spending 5 months working as a International Public Health conference coordinator, and also a strategic communications volunteer for a national anti-discrimination campaign. Then 6 months working in a development NGO in the West Bank. 

Languages: Arabic (hearing/listening fluency, written and reading elementary)

Quant: Precalc, Stats, Political analysis class, and micro and macro. All A's. I am kind of worried because I know the Ford school is very Quant based so I don't have the calc and advanced math courses to back that up. 

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I was born in Palestine and basically lived my whole life in the States but I really do care and want to get an advanced degree to do NGO development and hopefully management in the middle-east.
Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I am working on those now, but since I am fresh out of Undergrad I can get 2 from my profs fairly easily and maybe one from the coordinator of the Anti-Discrimination campaign. I would love to get one from the NGO in the West Bank but won't be there until March. 

Please give me advice, tips, and knowledge on the Ford school's requirements, especially for the GRE (I am kind of worried about how big of a role that will be for admittance)

Other: