MPA/MPP/IR 2012 Applicants

Technically yes, but I was MGHD not MSFS. I haven't heard of anyone getting word for the MSFS yet - I think they let people know a little later (actually "mid-March").

Both SFS and Elliott (and even Pickering) are killing me right now....after that first letter from SIS I've become addicted to knowing and as a result of that, extremely useless at work. For my sanity and my employer's sake RELEASE THE LETTERS ALREADY!!

I just have to whine (a bit), imagine the following, even after everybody gets back their results, I still have to wait for 2-3 weeks for the financial aid to get to Fulbright office, before getting even the first bit of news. Although 2 of the schools I'm being applied to already released results.

I'm going nuts!

Both SFS and Elliott (and even Pickering) are killing me right now....after that first letter from SIS I've become addicted to knowing and as a result of that, extremely useless at work. For my sanity and my employer's sake RELEASE THE LETTERS ALREADY!!

Word.

Work is pretty much me refreshing this forum and gmail every .5 seconds. I don't even know what my weekend is going to be like if I don't hear anything by later today. :blink:

Technically yes, but I was MGHD not MSFS. I haven't heard of anyone getting word for the MSFS yet - I think they let people know a little later (actually "mid-March").

Applied to MAGES

Updated:

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPAff, MPA

Schools Applied To: UT - Austin, UNC, UCLA, Georgetown

Schools Admitted To: UT - Austin (3/6), UCLA (3/6)

Schools Rejected From: UNC (2/21 - after interview)

Still Waiting: Georgetown

Undergraduate institution: University of Chicago

Undergraduate GPA: 3.16

Undergraduate Major: History

Last 60 hours of undergraduate GPA: 3.45

GRE Quantitative Score: 720 (156)

GRE Verbal Score: 640 (162)

GRE AW Score: 4.0 (Didn't finish either essay - good way to start a test)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2

Years of Work Experience: 1.5 - 2

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked in the financial development department at the YMCA national offices, mainly working with grants and funding allocation; currently a teacher for a low-income school (Advanced Algebra I and Geometry).

Languages: English (native), Spanish (competent)

Quant: Took Calculus and statistics in undergrad, but as an American History major that was pretty much it (a bit of Econ too - peer pressure). I think I have pretty strong quantitative skills though and am looking forward to getting back into it. I'll probably take the third Calc sequence over summer. I'd like to continue on to linear algebra, analysis, etc. I like math.

Strength of SOP: I don't know, it turned out alright. I just tried to tell the truth about why I wanted to attend the programs. It's important to me that my job means something and challenges me. I have experience in public affairs and have found it rewarding, and I basically outlined these sentiments as clearly and concisely as I could.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): One from my supervisor from a previous position was really exceptional - I'm not sure if it's any different than what adcoms usually see but it was really touching to read on a personal level at least. One from my senior thesis advisor that was probably pretty good. The other from a recent colleague that was probably just OK.

Other: Don't really have any interesting hooks, honestly. I like to play soccer?

Got accepted into UC Berkeley (MPP), U Chicago (MS Envir Sci/Policy), Cornell U (MPA), Yale U (MEM, wait listed)...eagerly waiting for HKS and WWS results....Good luck to everyone....

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP

Schools Applied To: The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Public Policy

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: I had my interview early last month. I'll know the final decision on Sunday/Monday via GraSPP's website!

Undergraduate institution: Unranked state school

Undergraduate GPA: 4

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 4

Undergraduate Major: History

GRE Quantitative Score: 163

GRE Verbal Score: 165

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1

Years of Work Experience: 1

Describe Relevant Work Experience: My job is just a glorified clerical position at a major international electronics manufacturer. My supervisors have agreed to expand my responsibilities and to work in the summer if I secure admissions however.

Languages: English (native), Japanese (fluent), Mandarin Chinese (fluent), German (2 years of college courses)

Quant: I only enrolled in the minimum class necessary to secure my history degree although I did independently dabble with higher level curriculum and I performed some quantitative fieldwork to enable the completion of my undergraduate thesis. I have the introductory economics courses under my belt but they were quantitatively light.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I spent about two weeks sporadically writing the SOP. I wrote one outline and then one draft making my revisions on the fly. I probably should have disciplined myself and spent more time planning as I don't consider myself a terribly skilled wordsmith. However, I do think (hope) that any structural weakness was offset by a laser focus career plan and my specific knowledge of both Japan and the Tokyo program.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I'm as certain as is possible that my two letters are substantial. I did a ton of award winning coursework under both my professors. I enrolled in no less than five of their courses each. I feel I am privileged enough to call both good friends. Moreover, I gave them ample time (four months) to compose these letters.

Other: I won all of the departmental and university-wide awards available to a history student. My thesis was published. I served on several academic advisory councils. I graduated in three years which, some have said, may be a liability. I have several well-funded acceptances from T14 law schools that would allow me to defer for the two years necessary to pursue this MPP; I mention this because it was a moderately important point in my SOP.

Accepted today!

Haha the detailed accounts in SIPA's blog scares me for some reason

For real. Frankly, in my personal essay, I didn't write about "[my] commitment to public service and [my] exploration of the world and of [myself]." I wrote about what I did, what I want to do, why I want to do it, and why SIPA and I go together like peanut butter and jelly. It was straightforward, concise and dense. Are they looking for the kind of flowery, self-involved ramblings you find in undergrad applications to Sarah Lawrence and Bennington?

For real. Frankly, in my personal essay, I didn't write about "[my] commitment to public service and [my] exploration of the world and of [myself]." I wrote about what I did, what I want to do, why I want to do it, and why SIPA and I go together like peanut butter and jelly. It was straightforward, concise and dense. Are they looking for the kind of flowery, self-involved ramblings you find in undergrad applications to Sarah Lawrence and Bennington?

That was the feeling I was getting from the application, which makes me question how good of a fit it is for me. My essay was like yours, I would think more professional and realistic.

Dear God, thank you. I don't know how the perception got created that good SOPs involve some "touching" story from your childhood, using the word "passion" about 50 times a paragraph, and acting like a MPA/MPP degree is an emotional fulfillment quest rather than pragmatic professional training. I'm not arguing against fleshing it out with personal touches, but fundamentally you're saying I have skills/experience X, want career Y, and think [institution] has Z classes/professors/programs to make it happen.

Not to mention the importance of "show, don't tell" - you want to tell the adcoms in flowery language how passionate and invested you are about your field, or point to specific real-world accomplishments that speak for themselves about your commitment?

Edited by MYRNIST

Dear God, thank you. I don't know how the perception got created that good SOPs involve some "touching" story from your childhood, using the word "passion" about 50 times a paragraph, and acting like a MPA/MPP degree is an emotional fulfillment quest rather than pragmatic professional training. I'm not arguing against fleshing it out with personal touches, but fundamentally you're saying I have skills/experience X, want career Y, and think [institution] has Z classes/professors/programs to make it happen.

Wait, so you guys are telling me my "One score and 8 years ago, my parents brought forth into this a world a child destined to work passionately in the service of the United States government in an unglamorous but steadily progressing career. In my early fetal development my infinite passion for...." might be over the top?!?!

I could be way off but it seems to me that the people who are the most qualified (and that have the most relevant work experience) will have less flowery essays because 1. they'll have more of substance to talk about and 2. they won't glamorize their intended profession since they already know what it entails.

While I do think you should speak to motivation, if only so they know you're not trying to sit out the bad jobs market, I think that flowery language just makes sure that admissions knows you're spraying perfume on BS :D

Also, I hate how useless SIPA's blog is. Really, I do not need to know the top 5 male/female names. Just give me my admissions decision!

Wait, so you guys are telling me my "One score and 8 years ago, my parents brought forth into this a world a child destined to work passionately in the service of the United States government in an unglamorous but steadily progressing career. In my early fetal development my infinite passion for...." might be over the top?!?!

LMAO!

This totally made my morning!

dude I couldn't resist your SoP if I were in the admission committee