Funding for Masters in Psychology?

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone heard of any masters programs in Psychology giving students superb financial assistance? I know that aid varies by candidate, but I was wondering if some masters programs offer full tuition waivers or something comparable to students or is this kind of assistance limited to doctoral candidates?

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone heard of any masters programs in Psychology giving students superb financial assistance? I know that aid varies by candidate, but I was wondering if some masters programs offer full tuition waivers or something comparable to students or is this kind of assistance limited to doctoral candidates?

Yes, I believe there are several that do. I know Villanova offers strong financial support for masters students.

I only know of Wake Forest, and I don't even know if they're continuing to fully fund their students (they did a couple years back with tuition remission and a marginal stipend).

Hello Everyone,

Villanova gives a decent number of full and half stipends. Drexel gives some scholarships but it's like 1-10% of your tuition and fully merit-based. I haven't run into others on the east coast that give funding to master's students. BC might, but they only take 1 or 2 M.A. students a year, so it wasn't very clear on their website.

Hello Everyone,

Villanova gives a decent number of full and half stipends. Drexel gives some scholarships but it's like 1-10% of your tuition and fully merit-based. I haven't run into others on the east coast that give funding to master's students. BC might, but they only take 1 or 2 M.A. students a year, so it wasn't very clear on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

Illinois State University, where I went for my Master's program, has a number of funded Master's programs. They provide you with a full tuition waiver, however, you still have to pay general fees and for health insurance (the latter is pretty cheap, but it's an expense). You generally receive a TA position that requires 10 hours of work per week and gives you a stipend of $400/month. It's not a lot, so I took out loans as well (or you could try to get two GA positions or a part time job elsewhere).

As far as I know, here's a (non-comprehensive) list of colleges that provide funding for some or all of their MA or MS students in psychology:

Claremont Graduate University

Mount Holyoke College

San Jose State University

Villanova University

William & Mary

Boston College

Wake Forest

Central Connecticut State University

Ball State University

And today I guess I just learned about Illinois State and University of Nebraska at Omaha as well. Hope this helps!

• 6 months later...

Bumping to say thanks for the list. It was a big help.

Missouri State has a limited number of GAs that require 20 hours a week in exchange for a full tuition waiver and a stipend of about $850 a month. And the cost of living in Springfield is so low that it's possible to support yourself with just the stipend. MSU was my UG and I've lived here for years, so you can message me with questions if you like.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I got full funding and a TA position at Wake Forest and 50% funding at both Brandeis (25% merit, 25% no-strings-attached financial aid) and the New School. I know that Boston College gives 50% funding to all admitted students. Apparently it's a big deal to get funded more than a marginal amount for your master's, so I really lucked out.

• 5 months later...

I got full funding and a TA position at Wake Forest and 50% funding at both Brandeis (25% merit, 25% no-strings-attached financial aid) and the New School. I know that Boston College gives 50% funding to all admitted students. Apparently it's a big deal to get funded more than a marginal amount for your master's, so I really lucked out.

Caffeinated,

Can you let us know your "stats" (GRE, GPA, undergraduate institution, prior research experience)?

I encountered this list while looking a while back:

University of Colorado at Colorado Springs

University of Northern Iowa

UT San Antonio

Augusta State in Georgia

College of William and Mary

Wake Forest University

University of Dayton

Villanova University

Indiana State University

Western Illinois 

Connecticut College

San Diego State University

Western Kentucky 

Idaho State University

Ball State U.

Towson Univeristy

Georgia Southern

Western Washington

This is a few years old now, but hopefully it helps!

• 1 month later...

Western Illinois University does. They offer full assistantships to most of their accepted students for a 13 hr/week assistantship for the first year (after that you have to apply to other places in the university to get the tuition waiver--usually not too hard to get a job on campus for year 2). It's a small school, but people get in to good PhD programs if they're motivated and independent.