In a science Ph.D. program...when do I reveal that I want to leave with a Masters?

neurosciency

I am in my first semester of a neuroscience Ph.D. program. Last fall, at the time that I was applying, I enjoyed research, wanted to be a PI of my own lab, etc. I needed a Ph.D. for what I wanted to do.

However, within the past year I've done a lot of soul-searching and know that my niche is in writing about science. I've always loved writing, learning about all different types of science, and have been having great success freelancing in the past few months.

I know at this point that I want to leave here with a Master's, but the only other person that knows is my boyfriend. I continue on here with classes and my lab rotation like everybody else, but my heart isn't in for the long haul. I enjoy what I learn and do want an advanced degree in neuroscience so I can do something such as regulatory writing, but I just don't need a Ph.D. for what I want to do anymore.

When do I reveal to administrators that I want to leave with a Master's? My program booklet talks about Master's degree requirements, so I know they exist. I just want to get it off my chest. I honestly don't see myself here getting a Ph.D. and know in my heart that I won't. But there are some unknowns that I fear: will I lose my assistantship? Will labs want me to research for them? Will the school even want me there, wasting space?

Most other Google searches I perform yield results with people in their 3rd year and beyond wanting to leave with a Master's, but what should somebody in my situation do? Thanks in advance!

So first, is the MS that your institution grants a coursework MS or a thesis based MS?

If it's the latter, you'll need to pick an advisor/committee, and you should probably let them know before you pick, just because you could cause some serious resentment if they think they're taking on a PhD student and you turn out to be an MS student.

Also, does your program fund MS students? If not, you may be in for some funding cuts if/when you decide to switch paths- although this isn't a given. By and large, if you want to keep up good relations with the department/professors (and since you want to go on and work in the area, you probably do), I'd talk to someone sooner rather than later. Probably the best bet is to sit down with your DGS or your graduate advisor and ask them how to go about it/what can be done, etc.

I'm not alone! Also a first quarter grad student who applied wanting a PhD, and now really don't want one whatsoever. I've found that profs really only want to consider you for PhD studies, and having an RA/TA/Fellowship already (I won an external fellowship since I wanted a phd originally) means they and the administration expect you to earn a phd.

I've done a lot of soul searching since I applied for the fellowship and chose my school, both from working in an academic research lab for part of the summer and from looking at salary data and hiring statistics....for what I want to do, a PhD is a hindrance. I also just don't have it in me to stay in school for another 5-7 years, especially for a degree that will be ultimately useless and (significantly) reduce my lifetime earnings. I realized that for what I want out of life, I don't need 'Dr' in front of my name to be successful.

However....I'm on a three year full fellowship, and am expected to love eat breathe sleep research. I don't, at all. I also can't afford school without the fellowship, so my plan has been to hide the fact I'm leaving with a masters until absolutely necessary, and to just do research rotations until I find an advisor/project I could stay with for couple years while finishing up the coursework masters(no thesis option offered). I feel somewhat bad about leaving with a masters, but at the same time....a PhD isn't right for me and there's no sense being miserable for 5+ years if I already know that. Unless I find an advisor who is OK with me leaving after the MS, I'm really not sure what to do when the time comes to leave. Family pressure to get the phd is also getting irritating.

My advice would be that if you are funded, don't tell anyone until your last semester or two. When you put in to graduate with the MS 'on the way' to the PhD, just have an honest talk with your advisor and explain that a Phd isn't for you, and that you are absolutely certain, and just hope that he/she will give you a good job recommendation.

Edited by Bimmerman

My advice would be that if you are funded, don't tell anyone until your last semester or two. When you put in to graduate with the MS 'on the way' to the PhD, just have an honest talk with your advisor and explain that a Phd isn't for you, and that you are absolutely certain, and just hope that he/she will give you a good job recommendation.

No offense, but this is a really underhanded way to go about it. You're a quarter in, and you know you don't want to stay for a PhD, yet you will continue to take funding meant for a PhD student, as well as a spot in a research group that you don't want, but that someone else might.

Not only that, but it's a risky game- you need the job recs from your advisor, but if they find out that you're stringing them along for a free MS, that will not go over well.

I understand the allure of "gaming the system", but it's ethically shaky, as well as potentially risky.

No offense, but this is a really underhanded way to go about it. You're a quarter in, and you know you don't want to stay for a PhD, yet you will continue to take funding meant for a PhD student, as well as a spot in a research group that you don't want, but that someone else might.

Not only that, but it's a risky game- you need the job recs from your advisor, but if they find out that you're stringing them along for a free MS, that will not go over well.

I understand the allure of "gaming the system", but it's ethically shaky, as well as potentially risky.

I agree that it is "ethically shakey" to not let on until near-end. I honestly can't suggest anything but telling the whole truth. I personally specified I wanted a PhD even though my program is Masters. I specifiedd this for funding purposes, BUT I have every intention of getting a PhD.

Aaron

See, if I had funding provided by the school I would totally agree with both of you. It IS underhanded, and it doesn't sit well with me, but good alternatives are few and far between.

I think you both are hung up on the funding for MS thing, when both OP and I applied as PhD students with every intention of doing a PhD at the time. Life happens sometimes, and the best laid plans just aren't feasible any longer, so it's hardly cheating the system to have a change of heart once the quarter starts (like I had and what the OP sounds like she is going through). Once the term has already started, you've already been accepted and have funding, so...what would you do? Go up to the advisor and say "I've been here three weeks, and am having a huge massive internal debate on whether to stay for an PhD or to leave after my MS, so here, take my funding back and give my research spot to someone else while I sort things out in my mind?" This situation is not the same as intentionally misleading a professor/school/funding organization with talk of PhD but no action, this is changing one's mind after already beginning a program of study.

I have my own funding though, so I am not taking up any funds for another student (and the fellowship is not limited to PhD hopefuls only, so no murky ethics there). Space in a research group is debatable, but with external funds I shouldn't be taking up someone else's slot either.

I haven't really figured out what the best way is to tell professors that even though I wanted a PhD when I applied that I don't any longer yet still keep their interest in having me as a student for doing research and the job recommendations/contacts that would go along with that. Per the terms of my admittance I'm required to do research as an MS student, so I *have* to find some prof to do research. It's a crappy situation, one without a clear 'right' answer. Any advice?

Edited by Bimmerman

Also note that if you have a research or thesis based MS, you really should tell the advisor early. They'll be the ones deciding when you've done enough to graduate and you want to keep them happy. There was a grad student in my department who decided she wanted to finish with her MS and go to med school. She followed the requirements, did a year and a half of research and then told her PI, who promptly informed her that it would be at least another year before he thought she'd done enough to leave with her MS. Knowing her boss, I think she'd have been able to finish much earlier if she'd been honest.

For you especially, Bimmerman, since you have external funding that can be used for an MS, you could probably tell earlier more easily. Three weeks isn't much time to make a decision, but if you're sure by the end of your first 6 mos or so, that's probably a good time to tell your PI that you're thinking of leaving with a MS.

By that time, you'll know them better and also have had the opportunity to show them you're good in the lab, hardworking, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I've decided I'll start by talking to my school's counselor about what I want in my career and see if this program is still a fit for me, then talk with the dean of the grad school about the logistical things such as funding. I'll probably be using my winter break to make some major life decisions. Thanks again.

Let them know ASAP, your project may need to be modified. Some PhD projects do not make for good MS projects, for example you need a project that is going to generate data in a shorter amount of time. If you don't want to be there long term you don't have time to craft a really intricate story. You just want to learn and do enough to bang out a publication or two to get a reputation for yourself. Plus you don't want to look like it took you 3.5 years to get an MS in biomedical sciences.