Berkeley

sociology27

That seems like a really small cohort they are aiming for... wow. My guess is the budget crisis and funding. I think Stanford either wants a cohort size of or offered 14-15 admits (wasn't sure exactly from the wording of the e-mail).. out of about 200 applications.. never would have thought Berkeley would have a lower admission % rate than Stanford. So weird, since I almost didn't submit my application to Stanford thinking that it would be impossible to get in, but thought Berkeley would be easier. (roughly 7.5% vs 5.5%)

I guess many of the public schools have decided that their way of dealing with the budget crisis is to make sure all their admitted students have funding/faculty resources, but need to shrink the size of their department esp. with the cohort size in order to do this.

Has ANYONE heard from the Berkeley Demography/sociology joint program??? I got desperate and wrote to the dept. administrator this tuesday, but not reply.

Any news would be good at this point!

Total speculation, but I was an undergrad at Berkeley majoring in Soc and minoring in Demography and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the joint program was run on a different schedule. There are a handful of faculty that overlap between the departments, but they seem to have pretty autonomous administrative structures.

Also, on the Berkeley v. Stanford comment: I'm pretty sure Berkeley has had similar numbers since before the budget cuts set in. I wouldn't be surprised if financial limitations have some impact on the size of the cohort they're going for, but I've heard that they generally have a lot more applicants than Stanford. It's a public school, but it's still an amazing department that attracts really competitive applicants.

I e-mailed the Sociology and Demography department on Monday. They e-mailed me back on Tuesday to say that admissions decissions were taking an especially long time this year, meaning that they weren't going to meet their mid-February deadline. They said we should know "very soon." Ugh!

Thought I'd let you all know... yesterday, I recieved a reply from Monique (the coordinator for the demography dept) to a query of mine. She also added:

"I also wanted to let you know that I will be meeting with the admissions committee tomorrow afternoon and should have a final list of admittees by the end of the day. I will contact you as soon as possible regarding their decision."

So hopefully the decisions will be out soon!

Thought I'd let you all know... yesterday, I recieved a reply from Monique (the coordinator for the demography dept) to a query of mine. She also added:

"I also wanted to let you know that I will be meeting with the admissions committee tomorrow afternoon and should have a final list of admittees by the end of the day. I will contact you as soon as possible regarding their decision."

So hopefully the decisions will be out soon!

Thanks for that info! Now, counting down the minutes and hours! =P At least I'm in the same timezone as Berkeley!

• 10 months later...

It looks like I got into Berkeley because I received an email from someone name Lee Desser, Graduate Admissions Advisor, but I didn't actually get anything from the department informing me about a student visit day or anything.  Did anyone else get a strange acceptance email like the one posted below?

"Dear Admitted Students,

First, I want to congratulate you on your recommendation for admission into the fall 2013 class of the doctoral program in sociology at UC Berkeley. You've impressed many members of the faculty review committee, and have achieved stellar academic performance. 

Second, I would like to bring your attention to a few scholarship opportunities that may interest you (see attachment). These are great funding opportunities and many of the deadlines are fast approaching."

I would guess that one arm of the bureaucracy inadvertently moved faster than the other. It's probably a good idea to email the grad advisor to confirm, but, I mean it doesn't look like a bad sign...

I'm sure info from the department will be soon to follow.