UC's

I'm hoping for SD and R since I looks like a no-go now :(. SD has had abysmal funding the past few years though.

I didn't look into programs at SD and R but I went to high school in R area...have to say that SD is a much exciting place to spend 5-7 years than R.

btw, anyone apply to Davis?

I did, sleepycat! My app wasn't that strong there, though.. I may have discovered a grammar error or two. : / Whoooops.

I did too. lol When you think we will hear back because I am dying right now to hear anything?

Sorry to hear it. Any left?

I've got a few schools to hear back from still but they're mostly my super reach schools that I probably shouldn't have applied to. I think I was a little too ambitious in where i sent my applications and possibly underestimated the field of applicants I would be going up against. I wish I would have sent more applications to the 20-50 range and less top 20.

I have to hear back from Chicago, UPENN, NYU, Penn State, Yale, UCR, Purdue, and Washington. Chi, penn, nyu I'm definitely not expecting anything considering how things are going with 30 ranked schools already. The only "higher up" (for me) that I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for is PSU. Other than that, I think Purdue would be crazy to deny me, Boulder is doubtful unless they're wanting to bring in a theorist grad and maybe UCR but we'll see.

Anyways, lesson learned I guess. I should have reassessed where I was applying a little better. I have a fall back of a funded masters program that I'm a shoe-in. (albeit horribly horribly funded)

I think you still have much reason to stay hopeful...In my situation, it seems as though I might be rejected from many programs ranked in the twenties, and was accepted by one arguably within the top ten. As long as you are a good fit for some of the top tier programs you have applied to, I think you have every right to be optimistic about your chances for acceptance. Keep in mind, sometimes lower ranked programs might assume that you would not decide to matriculate if you are an especially strong applicant-this might be the case for you! Stay positive-I am sure you will be surprised by where you will end up come fall!

received a weird email from uc davis today...

...We are in the process of making a decision on your application for admission. You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on February 17, 2012, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site. Please contact the Sociology program if you have any questions regarding this decision.......

according to the result survey from past years, davis used to call admitted students, is this one telling me that "hi there, you will be rejected in three days?"

Edited by undmich

Maybe tomorrow? I also applied to UMass Amherst and it looks like that could be next week judging from past years, so maybe next week is the big week for us, sleepycat

OMG! I thought Amherst was next month! I hope I hear on the 18th, 21st or 24th, those are my lucky days!

I got a call from a professor at UCSD last night and wanted to share the info:

He said last year they had a huge cohort- 17 people- and they are going smaller this year. They are only expecting to have a cohort of 10 this year. Many of the current students applied for outside funding and they are waiting in the results of that to determine this year's situation. If you go to the open house, they should have some definite numbers for you there. He DID mention that everyone who is accepted should get a one yesr fellowship, but the amount of the stipend is not yet determined.