What's your plan until grad school?

quantitative

I'm just curious what others are doing with their lives in the meantime. I'm currently unemployed and attempting to find jobs I'm qualified for with my B.A.... (Hint: they don't exist.) I'm broke right now, so I need to save up a little $$$. My plan of action is to take the first job willing to hire me, present my research this month at a conference, do school visits next month and work until some point in the summer. At that point, I might take an actual vacation and then move to wherever for grad school in August. :)

What are you doing now and what's your plan until grad school?

Edited by quantitative

Right now, finishing my degrees. As soon as this grad school debacle is over I intend to spend as much time with my girlfriend as possible and actually go out and do things with her. She's put up with so much of my crap during the past few months going from studying for the gre to grad apps to now my anxiety waiting while working on a paper I'm presenting in March at the PSA. Plus, we might only have a few more months together which is a harsh reality to face. I need to try and "live it up" between making the decision and moving to wherever I go.

Continuing to work the two jobs at which I am currently employed (I did work full time throughout my BA so this is a vacation!). I am so excited at the prospect of joining a program next year that I just can't concentrate on anything I do at work!

I'm in an MA program, so I'm trying to focus on my current research and plan for what happens if I'm not accepted anywhere. Basically my life is research, teaching, gradcafe/email/application status check, job search, repeat. I'm ready to eliminate either the anxiety or the job search piece. Today has been way too quiet...

got my degree last year and currently unemployed but I am reading like mad, both Sociology/theory and fiction. However, i am itching to go back to school so :/. I also am working on an article to submit to a non-sociology journal.

Edited by sleepycat

I work as an RA now, and it's not a bad gig, although I think I may have milked it for all the research experience I'm going to get out of it. Maybe I could get a co-authored pub if I stick around all summer, but it would probably just end up on SSRN rather than peer-review. And there's not really any value in minor publications now, right?

My ideal situation would be summer in Latin America doing independent research, volunteering, working, whatever. My research interests are in Lat. Am., and I've done all of my previous research there, so it would be nice to get down and make some connections and bone up on my Spanish before heading to school in the Fall. The problem is that I am incapable of saving money (student loans aaaarghhhh!), so it might be wise just to keep the job.

Besides that, I need to do some serious research on the schools I have to choose from, especially before going to open houses. I don't want them to think they made a big mistake when I get to accepted students day and look like an idiot :mellow:

am i the only one thinking about taking a vacation to travel somewhere and relax before starting grad school on this board?

u guys made me feel i am so slack :mellow:

I've thought about it; I really want to but if I dare dip into what little I have into my savings I fear I'll be wanting to kick my own ass when it comes time to live off of a grad student salary. Maybe I'll get a trip as a graduation gift or something, not counting on it though.

Undmich I'm taking a SERIOUS break.

I worked full time through community college and into undergraduate. I just recently began working part-time (exactly one year ago) for the first time since high school. My most recent gig is for Catholic Charities with homeless people....

I plan to get the hell out of RVA and back to DC no later than 14 days after graduation with a side trip to Las Vegas. I plan to spend May 26-July 8 in DC working as a temporary receptionist (about $14/hr) and hanging out with my childhood friends. I also plan to read as much as humanly possibly!

If anyone wants to go to Vegas in celebration let me know, a few of my friends and I are going May 17-20 in celebration of getting into PhD progams!

Edited by dizzidawn

I'm working as a nanny right now as I finish up my thesis for my M.S. I just got the job and it pays super well and it's very low-key. Highly recommend as an in-between gig if you have childcare/education experience. If I get into a doctoral program, as opposed to my only offer right now- funded M.A.- I will probably throw in a vacation too.

There's a President to re-elect. I've been on it since March '11. I'm on it now. I don't see that changing regardless of grad school outcomes. It's simply too important. After election night '08, one of my closest friends and I spent the evening on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Stayed the whole night. We watched the sun come up. It's an excellent memory. I plan to have a similar evening this coming November. But there's plenty to be done between now and then... plenty.

Edited by socieconomist

All along, I think I have to enhance my ability to deal with quant methods, as I got in such a program quite focused on quantitative research. I'd like to quickly be involved with the faculty's research projects and should excel in my graduate training.

I'm just hoping I get IN a grad school....

BUT, my plan is to move to whatever school I plan on attending early, getting a feel for the town, probably picking up a car sales job to tide me over until school starts. Having a car sales background makes it really easy for me to pick up, move somewhere else, and start again.

I plan on working at a running store, and I am also coaching high school track, which should be an interesting experience...(along with spending as much time as possible with family as well).

I have an uninteresting job right now, 40-50hrs/wk, but it comes with great benefits. I'm a little torn on whether to hold onto it until august or leave early and take a vacaaay. Even if my vacation is "sit in my house and read sociology papers." BUT I could run off to Europe for a few weeks!! Or sleep on the floor of my cousin's apt in NYC!! Adventure!

In general though, for the next few months I will be running calibration tests on small electronics and catching up on the basics of sociology in my "spare time."

I'm finishing my fifth year in grad school. I'm still trying to get accepted into a PhD program. My plan (applying this fall) is to file in absentia to keep my health insurance and finish my thesis, move back home with my parents, make money, throw it at student loans/save up for apartment deposits while hanging out with my friends and taking time to de-stress from the whole application process.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an uninteresting job right now, 40-50hrs/wk, but it comes with great benefits. I'm a little torn on whether to hold onto it until august or leave early and take a vacaaay. Even if my vacation is "sit in my house and read sociology papers." BUT I could run off to Europe for a few weeks!! Or sleep on the floor of my cousin's apt in NYC!! Adventure!

I have the same decision to make - I told my boss that I was admitted and that I'd be leaving in the summer, but that could mean any time June - Aug. I'm already going to start training my replacement this spring. So, I also crave the adventure! Cross-country train trip? Yes. Road trip on the California coast? Yes. Europe? Yes. Have the money to do anything? Not reallyyyy.