MSW programs in the Bay Area

Twoone

Oh that sucks. Well hopefully your luck changes this year. Did you have any work experience before applying the first time?

Thanks! Yeah hopefully! I did have about 2 years of experience but my grades and personal statement were weak. I'm crossing my fingers for this year.

Yikes! 2 years experience and they still didn't let you in? I don't have that much exp so now I'm second guessing my chances of getting in. How's your reference? anyone with MS or PHD? Barry said he looked closely at experience, reference and personal statement first before grades.

Thanks! Yeah hopefully! I did have about 2 years of experience but my grades and personal statement were weak. I'm crossing my fingers for this year.

Well shoot, I'm starting to second-guess my chances as well.  Some other posters in various topics on the forum were saying that CSUs have been "veeeeeery picky lately" and I didn't know what that really meant for my application.  Sounds like maybe they truly are being pretty darn picky :/

This wait is KILLLLLLLLLING ME!!!!!! Lol

I think I've finally settled down from checking all emails, page websites and gradcafe buuuut come Friday when it's finally March and I think I'm going to be full of anxiety again lol

I tried not to call ... But I did... My application is currently under review... Blahhhhh... So sometime in "mid march or later" I will know the results... The way she said it didn't seem pleasing.. Hoping she doesn't see comments when she pulled up my app that said I wasn't accepted... Don't want to know that displeasing voice was a hint to tell me that I didn't get in...

I tried not to call ... But I did... My application is currently under review... Blahhhhh... So sometime in "mid march or later" I will know the results... The way she said it didn't seem pleasing.. Hoping she doesn't see comments when she pulled up my app that said I wasn't accepted... Don't want to know that displeasing voice was a hint to tell me that I didn't get in...

I bet you're okay.  :)  Just imagine getting a review call from looooots of people checking their apps for 8 hours a day (even if that's their primary responsibility) and I bet it was just a tone and nothing more. :)  Mid-March is going to come up sooooo quick.  The only thing helping me get through it is just getting through this week and then I have a spring break trip for a week and when I come back it'll be March 16th... but I'll be pretty down and out if still no decision has been made.    :unsure:

Yikes! 2 years experience and they still didn't let you in? I don't have that much exp so now I'm second guessing my chances of getting in. How's your reference? anyone with MS or PHD? Barry said he looked closely at experience, reference and personal statement first before grades.

Yeah but my personal statement was not written very well, it was my fault. I could've done better... my references came from 3 people with MSW's.

Well shoot, I'm starting to second-guess my chances as well.  Some other posters in various topics on the forum were saying that CSUs have been "veeeeeery picky lately" and I didn't know what that really meant for my application.  Sounds like maybe they truly are being pretty darn picky :/

Have faith!! Yea, MSW programs are waaaaaaaaaaay more competitive now compared to how it used to be... I didn't get into SDSU last year because of my GPA and I was competing with people who had "international experience". :huh:

Yeah but my personal statement was not written very well, it was my fault. I could've done better... my references came from 3 people with MSW's.

Let me just say that that's been weighing on me the last week or so because I feel like one particular part of my statement could have been written better or looked over more carefully or added things etc. etc. but damn, I was just so exhausted by the end of the 11 pgs. I just wanted it over with.

I chose CYF but I don't mind doing mental health if it meant getting the stipend. Got an email yesterday from the msw stipend dept people as I'm sure you guys might have received one as well. If not, they wanted me to submit my application for the stipend program along with other paperwork but they won't even review it unless they got word that I was accepted.

BTW to the 1 or 2 of you that have been posting relatively consistently on here.... what concentration have you chosen to focus on at SJSU if admitted?

I chose CYF but I don't mind doing mental health if it meant getting the stipend. Got an email yesterday from the msw stipend dept people as I'm sure you guys might have received one as well. If not, they wanted me to submit my application for the stipend program along with other paperwork but they won't even review it unless they got word that I was accepted.

Got the same email.  Crossing my fingers that both admittance to the MSW program and Title IV-E stipend works out for me.  It was nice to get an email even if it was info I already knew just to know that there are live people who will receive things when I send them lol

Got the same email.  Crossing my fingers that both admittance to the MSW program and Title IV-E stipend works out for me.  It was nice to get an email even if it was info I already knew just to know that there are live people who will receive things when I send them lol

You received an e-mail from SJSU? Regarding the MHIP program or Title IV-E program?

You received an e-mail from SJSU? Regarding the MHIP program or Title IV-E program?

Title IV-E.  It just had the same info regarding the app process for the Title-IV E stipend that you can find on their website so nothing actually new or special.

Dear MSW Title IV-E applicants,

It has come to our attention that you have indicated on your MSW Application (2013-2014AY) your interest and intention to apply to the Title IV-E Child Welfare Training  and Stipend Program. 

Please be advised that to be considered for acceptance to the IV-E Program, students must make an application to the Title IV-E Program and include the following:

1) Title IV-E Application  - can be accessed via our website: www.sjsu.edu/title4e
2) Most recent resume - A 1-2 page typed resume, including a list of your relevant paid and volunteer experience
3) Statement of Intent - A 2-3 page typed statement explaining your understanding of public child welfare services. Also, address your interest in and commitment to a career in public child welfare and your view of how this stipend program relates to your short-and long-term career goals.   

Applicants may mail, email or hand deliver completed application to: jackie.nguyen@sjsu.edu, no later than April 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM. 

If you are going to mail in your application, here is the address
San Jose State University - School of Social Work
Title IV-E Child Welfare Program
Attn: Pnina Green and Jackie Nguyen
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0124

If you are going to fax in your application:
Attn: Pnina Green and Jackie Nguyen

Once we received your application and are informed by the School of Social Work that you have been officially accepted to the MSW Program, we will contact you and invite you for an in-person interview.

Edited by StenderB

So at least one person has already heard back with an offer from SJSU so maybe they're starting to roll out acceptances beginning this week??

Good luck again to everyone :)

Hoping I get that phone call...

So at least one person has already heard back with an offer from SJSU so maybe they're starting to roll out acceptances beginning this week??

Good luck again to everyone :)

How did you find out they started sending out admissions? Someone you know or someone on this forum?

Someone commented on the CSU's Fall 2013 forum saying they'd been called

Ahhhhhh... Can't take this torture!!! .. I hope he/she gets accepted to Berkeley so we would have a higher chance of getting in. Lol

Someone commented on the CSU's Fall 2013 forum saying they'd been called

Did anyone else get an email from SJSU about financial aid? I received an email this morning to check my to-do list on MySJSU, which gave me a financial aid form to fill out. But I haven't received notice of acceptance, and my application status still says "Referred to Grad Dept." Confusing!

Edited by carrielynn

Could possibly mean you'll be getting a phone call quite soon for admission. I didn't receive anything.

Did anyone else get an email from SJSU about financial aid? I received an email this morning to check my to-do list on MySJSU, which gave me a financial aid form to fill out. But I haven't received notice of acceptance, and my application status still says "Referred to Grad Dept." Confusing!

Yes, I received the message yesterday and my to-do list items were up on Monday for me to complete for financial aid so I did that and sent what items they need off on Monday.  I hope that's a good sign, but I'm feeling like perhaps financial aid doesn't have anything to do with admission and isn't any indicator; that perhaps it was just financial aid doing their end and getting in paperwork to be considered for max funding if accepted.

Anyone else know if it actually means much of anything?

Could mean chances of getting a scholarship based on your gpa.

Yes, I received the message yesterday and my to-do list items were up on Monday for me to complete for financial aid so I did that and sent what items they need off on Monday. I hope that's a good sign, but I'm feeling like perhaps financial aid doesn't have anything to do with admission and isn't any indicator; that perhaps it was just financial aid doing their end and getting in paperwork to be considered for max funding if accepted.

Anyone else know if it actually means much of anything?