MSW programs in the Bay Area

Twoone

Talked to Molly from the dept and got those numbers. A phone call is "highly qualified" after that they send you an email to accept their offer. So that would put you there.

Thanks for the response.  Where did you apply? Are you still waiting to hear?  If so, my fingers and toes are crossed for you. 

Thanks for the response. Where did you apply? Are you still waiting to hear? If so, my fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Only applied to sjsu and still waiting

do you get something special for being highly qualified?...no word for me yet

No just a phone call. They want to make that person feel extra special so that they'll attend sjsu

hmm any news?

They are set to make all admission decisions by the end of this month. So that means we will get an email and status update ony mysjsu of whether we were admitted or rejected. I guess thats better than waiting in may like some did last year.

Okay! so i take it you haven't heard back either lol...well there is still time.... Would you consider re applying another yr?

yeah...  but this time I wont be an idiot and only apply to one. IF I dont get in then I'll be applying to sfsu, east bay, sjsu, csula, ucla, ucsc, and csudh...   going to be very expensive. :(

yeah thats smart. I'll probably do the same. I think, and apply much earlier! I think its important to apply as soon as the application opens lol ... but yeah i would def do UCLA and CSUDH, maybe SJSU lol depending if i still feel hurt or not lol jkjk

Update for SJSU to those still awaiting admission or just news:

440 applicants for the MSW program

There are a total of 160 spots open.

80 of those spots have officially been accepted by applicants.

Phone calls are given to those whose application are considered "highly qualified"

Emails are given to those who they believe are "not the best but would be a great fit for the program"

7 professors are currently going over applications.

Should all be reviewed by mid April.

I lost hope... Thanks to this update I have regained faith! hehe. My status on mysjsu is still "Referred to Grad Dept". I wonder if the Title IV-E application statement is being reviewed as well for the maybe's... I feel a lot more comfortable with my writing on that than my personal statement... =/. Good Luck to all of us still waiting!   

I FINALLY got my call yesterday. Just a heads up for those  that have not heard back... last friday, I emailed Molly to check my status.. she said  i had been missing a document and had sent me an email in Feb. I NEVER received said email, nor did I have anything on my to do list. So on Fri I resent the doc and on Monday I emailed her again to verify it's receipt. She replied that my file had been sent through on Monday. I got my call Tuesday! Double check on everything if you haven't already. Had I not emailed her, I could not have gotten in!

I FINALLY got my call yesterday. Just a heads up for those  that have not heard back... last friday, I emailed Molly to check my status.. she said  i had been missing a document and had sent me an email in Feb. I NEVER received said email, nor did I have anything on my to do list. So on Fri I resent the doc and on Monday I emailed her again to verify it's receipt. She replied that my file had been sent through on Monday. I got my call Tuesday! Double check on everything if you haven't already. Had I not emailed her, I could not have gotten in!

Congrats on your acceptance!! What is your area of concentration?

Congrats!!

I FINALLY got my call yesterday. Just a heads up for those that have not heard back... last friday, I emailed Molly to check my status.. she said i had been missing a document and had sent me an email in Feb. I NEVER received said email, nor did I have anything on my to do list. So on Fri I resent the doc and on Monday I emailed her again to verify it's receipt. She replied that my file had been sent through on Monday. I got my call Tuesday! Double check on everything if you haven't already. Had I not emailed her, I could not have gotten in!

Congratulations gghunts!! Was your application considered to be late because of that document not going through.?i went through a frustrating situation where one of my references didn't email my letter correctly on time and now my application was considered late once I was notified and had her submit it again. I had submitted all of my application materials in november and now I don't think I have much of a chance of getting in. I'm not sure when/if they look at late applications.

Luckily it wasn't considered late since I forwarded the original email with the date on it. For some reason, it got lost. Anyhow, my concentration is Health/Mental Health. You should have seen me crying like a baby with my 3 kiddos in tow when I got the call! Good luck to those who haven't heard back yet.. and congrats to those who have!!

Congrats gghunts!! =D

Can someone please write Molly's phone number and e-mail? I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Hey SJSUMSWApplicant,

I haven't heard from them yet!! It's killing me!!

For your infromation, in February, I got an email from Molly because one of my recommendation letters was not submitted correctlly.

The email was

msw.sjsu@gmail.com

I am not sure if she has a specific email, but you can try this.

Hope it helps!!

Edited by Kuchan

Does anyone know the etiquette for asking who are reviewers are/were?  I think I'm just so excited about being accepted to the program that knowing who reviewed my application means a lot to me.  Are reviewers kept confidential?

Does anyone know the etiquette for asking who are reviewers are/were? I think I'm just so excited about being accepted to the program that knowing who reviewed my application means a lot to me. Are reviewers kept confidential?

Yeah I think they are kept confidential... I asked to find out who was reviewing my application and she wouldn't say lol

I FINALLY got my call yesterday. Just a heads up for those that have not heard back... last friday, I emailed Molly to check my status.. she said i had been missing a document and had sent me an email in Feb. I NEVER received said email, nor did I have anything on my to do list. So on Fri I resent the doc and on Monday I emailed her again to verify it's receipt. She replied that my file had been sent through on Monday. I got my call Tuesday! Double check on everything if you haven't already. Had I not emailed her, I could not have gotten in!

Congrats, that was quite fast just by submitting a missing doc. They may already have finished reviewing all the apps and are now trying to see who gets priority.

Luckily it wasn't considered late since I forwarded the original email with the date on it. For some reason, it got lost. Anyhow, my concentration is Health/Mental Health. You should have seen me crying like a baby with my 3 kiddos in tow when I got the call! Good luck to those who haven't heard back yet.. and congrats to those who have!!

Awesome! My concentration is in health/mental health as well! Finally, someone who has the same concentration as me. 

Yay for Mental Health! This school year I've been interning with some of the current SJSU MSw students (due to my BS being an online degree, I needed a local sight and scored getting to work with these ladies!) I constantly pick their brain and they are both SOO happy in the MH concentration!! Must say, they work HARD!!!