Boren 2013-2014

djevojka

Thanks for starting this thread! 

Like postidentity, I received an email asking for a further breakdown of overseas expenses, to be submitted by the end of the week...but I did not receive the formal email that seems to have gone out in past years. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us - good luck, everyone! 

Hi folks! I was looking for this Boren thread and I just found it.

I'm applying to Seoul as well. But I'm worried because I haven't studied Korean before.

I got a survey email but no budget email yet. 

Hi there.  Thanks for starting this thread.  I was beginning to wonder if there would be any current information floating around. 

Like some of you, I received an email about 2 weeks ago regarding a mistake on my application.  I sent the correction that day. 

I haven't seen a formal budget email yet...just the survey email everyone received.

I try not to think about this too much but the anticipation is definitely difficult.  Luckily (or not!), there is so much going on over the next couple of months to keep me busy!  =)

Good luck to you all!

I was quite relieved they allowed me to make a correction - a very easy fix and somewhat minor.  Usually, if there is any sort of mistake, your application just gets thrown out (or so I hear), especially for these national scholarships/fellowships.  So, up to this point, I'm relieved to have any sort of contact that gives me any sense that I'm still in the running for the time being.

JustChill,

I'm in the same boat. I only received the survey. My school has a campus representative though and I think she screened my application before I sent it. Your application was probably flawless.

Applied for the Boren Scholarship to Irkutsk, Russia.

I know for at least my university, they screen the scholarships before any are passed through.  For the fellowships (like mine), we're on our own.  We don't get screenings prior to submission.  I'm not sure if other universities do the same.  =)

Hey all,

I just recieved a budget updat email at 12:32PM from Lisa Mayorga. (Note that I applied for a scholarship, so fellowship emails may be sent out at a different time.)

Good luck to everyone!!

Congrats to you both, danng and Taesan! Last year, fellowship emails went out 2 days before scholarships -- weird that they would have reversed the order, but who knows!

Anyone else heard?

Congrats danng and Taesan! Don't lose hope everyone, last year emails came as late as 9 or 10 o'clock at night. It really depends on when your regional committee meets. 

Lets hope the good news keeps rolling in! Just a reminder to please let folks know if you applied for a fellowship or scholarship when you post. Thanks :)

I was looking over the spreadsheet from last year, and noticed all of the people who received the budget update e-mail received awards or were chosen as alternates. Do you guys know if people get turned down even if they got the e-mail?

whaynes2, 

According to the forums from last year, each Boren applicant has a 15% chance of receiving the award. The applications are divided into world region committees who select 15% of their applications to go to the national committee. If you receive the budget email, your chances of definitely receiving it go up to 66%. That number doesn't include alternates who also have a good shot. I think alternates get notified in late May if someone ahead of them declines the award.

I'm not sure that this is useful at all, but just in case, this is the email that I received last week. (I'm guessing that this is similar to what postidentity and paperhead received, but certainly do not want to make assumptions.) It does not seem to be *the* budget email, based on the language of last year, and I could have forgotten a line/budget item...I'm just too much of a wimp to look at the PDF file of my submitted application. :) (As an FYI, I applied for the fellowship to multiple countries - Tanzania/Kenya.)  

Still keeping my fingers crossed for everyone! Hope we all receive good news soon! 

-- 

Hello from the Boren Awards.

We need to see a budget breakdown for your non-AFLI program related expenses. We don’t need the program costs itself, just any additional home institution fees (What you might be paying your U.S. university) and changes in spring program expenses you might have (Assuming you have an extra spring or summer semester).  

Please attach a spreadsheet to this email and send it back to me by Friday. Please use the same format you used in the application when you make your budget. If you need a copy of your budget please let me know.

Edited by desmonster1018

Eeek - this talk of a correlation between budget e-mails and finalists makes me nervous.  I didn't receive a budget e-mail yet and applied for a fellowship to Jordan.  Have any other fellowship applicants received their budget e-mail?