Ford Fellows Open

MrRoots

Confirmation: yes, it appears when changes are made, the same name is removed from HM and added to Fellows. Just observed it happening again, where "Wooden, Isaiah Matthew" was removed from HM and added as a Dissertation Fellow.

*edit* well looks like you beat me to the punch there! */edit*

Edited by rubethecube

Confirmation: yes, it appears when changes are made, the same name is removed from HM and added to Fellows. Just observed it happening again, where "Wooden, Isaiah Matthew" was removed from HM and added as a Dissertation Fellow.

*edit* well looks like you beat me to the punch there! */edit*

That may mean all awards are coming from the Honorable Mention list.. so if your name isn't on the HM list (mine is not) you got neither.. :(

yea, I don't think they're going to add any more HM to that list. in past years there were only 216-219 HMs in the Dissertation category, for example, and right now once they move the rest over to being awarded they'll be around that number. my guess is if you're not on HM, you're not getting anything and that's me :( sucks to go from being HM, then an Alternate, to nothing... ah well. congrats to everyone else!

yea, I don't think they're going to add any more HM to that list. in past years there were only 216-219 HMs in the Dissertation category, for example, and right now once they move the rest over to being awarded they'll be around that number. my guess is if you're not on HM, you're not getting anything and that's me :( sucks to go from being HM, then an Alternate, to nothing... ah well. congrats to everyone else!

But we don't know that the awards are all being pulled from the HM list. Each year they've steadily increased the # of HMs because of increased # of applicants. So they might not pull the remaining ~80 entirely from that list. 

First, these lists are amazing! But I wish I didn't know they existed, as I can't stop refreshing them!

Last night around 11 pm eastern time, there were 690 honorable mentions and 43 awardees. This morning at 7 am eastern time, there are 689 honorable mentions and 46 awardees. Thus, two of the awardees that were added last night did not come from the honorable mention list (although one did). 

From that, I would guess that if your name is on the HM list you still might get bumped to an awardee. And for those not on the HM list, you still might get the award. So basically there is still hope for us all until they fill up the awardee list completely. 

ROFL WOW!

... So I went to the Ford Fellowship webpage and clicked on the link for the 2013 roster (2014 isn't "there" yet). On a whim, I changed "2013" to "2014" in the URL. APPARENTLY they have a partial list already up!! Can someone confirm I'm not hallucinating? So far they have 19/60 predoc and *edited, sorry* 15/36 dissertation posted, and 4/24 post-doc posted */edit*. I'll post below in case they take it down haha!

http://nrc58.nas.edu/FordFellows20/ExtRpts/PressReleaseRoster.aspx?RptMode=AW&CompYr=2014&Layout=wwwLibs%2fUtil_Web%2fPageLayouts%2fApplPrintLayout

Oh no! Now I am hooked........refreshing, refreshing, refreshing........please help! Must not look......but then this is really helpful! Thanks

Well, I wasn't going to click the links to save myself some sanity points as I'm working in some heavy data sorting today.

My heart sank when I saw my name on the HM list. Remember I told you I heard 4 people I know who got award notices? Well, one of the predoc winners and one of the diss winners are on the winners list. The other two, both dissertation applicants are currently listed as HM even though they received award notices Friday. I expect those names to migrate to the other list over the next few days.

The thing is, they've already all been notified (the 4 I know) I'm just going to hope and pray my name gets moved. I don't now what I'm going to do if I don't get funded next year.

There is a crisis in this country where PhDs are getting used for cheap labor in the university and we don't get enough funding. We put our hopes in awards like the Ford. The fact that this process causes so much anxiety is not right. The first two times I applied I got HM and the third time nothing. Nothing else in grad school has affected me as much emotionally and physically. I felt sick and hopeless. I hope none of you feel that way. This award is not a marker if your ability or potential do succeed in your fields. The way you feel, that sinking feeling, is a symptom of what is wrong with the academy.

Fight on and don't give up.

Well, I wasn't going to click the links to save myself some sanity points as I'm working in some heavy data sorting today.

My heart sank when I saw my name on the HM list. Remember I told you I heard 4 people I know who got award notices? Well, one of the predoc winners and one of the diss winners are on the winners list. The other two, both dissertation applicants are currently listed as HM even though they received award notices Friday. I expect those names to migrate to the other list over the next few days.

The thing is, they've already all been notified (the 4 I know) I'm just going to hope and pray my name gets moved. I don't now what I'm going to do if I don't get funded next year.

There is a crisis in this country where PhDs are getting used for cheap labor in the university and we don't get enough funding. We put our hopes in awards like the Ford. The fact that this process causes so much anxiety is not right. The first two times I applied I got HM and the third time nothing. Nothing else in grad school has affected me as much emotionally and physically. I felt sick and hopeless. I hope none of you feel that way. This award is not a marker if your ability or potential do succeed in your fields. The way you feel, that sinking feeling, is a symptom of what is wrong with the academy.

Fight on and don't give up.

Thank you for speaking this. Personally, I feel like there is a lot Ford can do in light of how compulsive we get over waiting to hear back. It's clear that they are pulling awardees from the HM list, but I have yet to hear anything (and I am not on, either). I know it doesn't mean much, but since they've made this lists public, I would appreciate receiving my rejection letter already! 

I don't think they've made the list public, actually. One of our members was just savvy enough to encounter it. 

Hm, my name is not on either list and I must admit...I don't feel terribly low at all. It might be because I don't have a history with this process. It mostly might be that I think anything is possible until the final results are out since we are just speculating now.To be sure, if I do not get any acknowledgement, I'd be really miffed since I sincerely believe that my research and teaching goals perfectly align with the initiatives to increase diversity of underrepresented student groups...as a many of us believe. Basically, what I'm saying is that it ain't over for me until I get a rejection notice LOL. And then there is next year. 

On another note: Anyone else just know that someone is going to call the Ford office today and asks about these lists they see online? 

EDIT ----> I meant to say that they will call to confirm if these are final. If someone does, spread the news. I'm currently rooting for one of my homies to get off the Dissertation List because we study similar groups :-) 

Edited by i.am.me

^^ I wouldn't give up hope yet! My labmate who got the predoc award a few years back didn't get his award notification until early to mid April. It's possible the letters have been sent out already, but I don't think we have enough information to draw that inference. Anyway, hoping for the best!

Let me inform you all that the list will not be the way that you find out. I was offered a fellowship by the Ford Foundation but my name is not up on the list yet presumably because I have not accepted the offer. I am not accepting the offer until I talk to someone on the phone about what happens if I receive offers from other fellowship programs (since it cannot be deferred the first year? Can I accept without the stipend and just get the other benefits?).

So, because they won't list you until you accept the offer, the list is not how you're going to find out.

LOL that's fine, I'm not judging - I just don't want people to be upset and my posts mean to be uplifting!!

On another note, looking at the helpful directory that was just posted...so few people in Education get the Ford. Hmm, curious. 

---

Are other people able to look at their application online? I cannot, just wondering if its normal. 

Edited by i.am.me

Hi guys, sorry for being a debbie downer. I am pretty sure they know it's public though. The list is accessible through their directory, too:

http://nrc58.nas.edu/FordFellowDirect/Main/Directory.aspx?Report=5&SortKey=2014

oh man. now, what i'm really not OK with (although i know it's not these people's fault and it's awesome for them) is that there are some people who won the pre-doc fellowship previously and now ALSO won the dissertation fellowship. COMMON! spread the wealth. there are too many people applying for these things who get nothing for the same people to win BOTH! (again, i'm mainly just horribly jealous) :/

Edited by Anthro14

oh man. now, what i'm really not OK with (although i know it's not these people's fault and it's awesome for them) is that there are some people who won the pre-doc fellowship previously and now ALSO won the dissertation fellowship. COMMON! spread the wealth. there are too many people applying for these things who get nothing for the same people to win BOTH! (again, i'm mainly just horribly jealous) :/

No, just normal LOL