Masters programs in Analytics

I was not sure where to post this, but since analytics is more Statistics related than anything else, I am posting it here.

So there is a lot of hype lately about big data and analytics. Anyone here who can shed some light on which colleges have the best programs? Most of the analytics are starting out in 2013 or 2014, so I am confused if I should look at just how good the school is or should I be considering how established their analytics program is.

Also, I have been out of school a while and have good experience in IT and project management. Do not have any experience with analytics though. Will this be a disadvantage? Or will schools appreciate the fact that I am trying to make a career change and learn something that I am really really interested in?

Thanks for all your help!

Thank you. Their long list of pre-reqs is quite overwhelming though.

Any thoughts on Northwestern?

Unfortunately I don't know very much about most of these programs.  As you said, most are very new and so there aren't any data on placement, save for NC State.

Unfortunately I don't know very much about most of these programs.  As you said, most are very new and so there aren't any data on placement, save for NC State.

Thanks again. It is tough making this decision about studying data sciences when there is not enough data :)

I strongly disagree with the recommendation for NC State.

This is a Master's degree. As such, brand matters a lot, since it seems like you will go into industry.

Look into:

For non-online programs

- Columbia (MS program starting this year)

- NYU (MS program started last year)

- Stats/CS degree from a strong machine learning school (Stanford comes to mind)

For on-line

- Berkeley

- Northwestern

Edited by DMX

This is a Master's degree. As such, brand matters a lot, since it seems like you will go into industry.

and I disagree with your strong disagreement about the NCSU recommendation! They appear to have a strong placement record (though unsurprisingly NC-heavy) and are completely transparent about outcomes: http://analytics.ncsu.edu/?page_id=248

Look into:

For non-online programs

- Columbia (MS program starting this year)

- NYU (MS program started last year)

- Stats/CS degree from a strong machine learning school (Stanford comes to mind)

For on-line

- Berkeley

- Northwestern

I'm going to conditionally second DMX w.r.t to NCSU. I'm work in big data and analytics and I work with a LOT of the hiring companies for that particular MS program.

Your profile says you're in India. If this is true then I can't help.

If you're in the states and already working in IT then I'd say you're probably already a fit at most any company on the hiring list for 2013. Most of the people at MOST of those firms do not have MS's. If you wanted to go to any of the companies on that list then you're better off just staying in the professional world. You'll save a lot of money in tuition and make a lot of money over the time you're not in the program.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about some of the firms on their hiring list.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Texas A&M has recently added an M.S. in Analytics through their Department of Statistics.  Although the degree is new, the courses are all well established and offered both through Mays Business School and the Department of Statistics (both are excellent). 

More info can be found here:

http://analytics.stat.tamu.edu/

• 1 month later...

Does this lack of endorsement for NCSU apply to their PhD in stats program as well?  I'm given to believe that they are a very good department and fairly highly regarded in industry and academia.  Do you have any reason to believe this is not true?  I'd really appreciate the input as that is currently my number one choice.

NCSU has one of the best stats PhD programs in the country.

For analytics, NC State is the brand. This year, their class already has reached 97% with job offers and you can see the comapanies here http://analytics.ncsu.edu/?p=6944

Edited by emco

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'll be applying for MS Analytics for Fall 2015. Anyone who was asking questions about UT-Austin got in? I'm looking to get in there. Anyone from India who got in? I'm very confused about their method of scholarships etc.

Thanks in advance?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to name it but some recommendations are just ridiculous. It does not make sense at all. I don't really want anyone making a bad decision from false advices. As of September 13, 2014, MS in Analytics program offered by Northwestern's McCormick Engineering School is the most competitive program. If you want to understand and assess the quality of the program, check out the student profiles (either current students or alumni). In one sense, if you get admitted, you will be a part of the group. Which group of people would you like to belong to?

Student profile really tells a lot about the program. Who are they? Where did they come from? What academic achievement did they have? (GPA, GMAT, GRE) Where did they intern? What did they learn throughout the program? Where do they work after the program? These information well represents the program. Don't ask questions on this cafe. Go check it out yourself. You will learn a lot more than all those stupid answers from this cafe.

Northwestern's alumni are way more talented and have more impressive track records than the ones from NCSU.

Hi,

I'll be applying for MS Analytics for Fall 2015. Anyone who was asking questions about UT-Austin got in? I'm looking to get in there. Anyone from India who got in? I'm very confused about their method of scholarships etc.

Thanks in advance?

Hi Madhulika,

Even I am applying for MS Analytics for 2015. Which colleges are you applying to?

Thanks,Trina