University of Arizona??

gradschool2013

Good luck! If you need to re-apply next year, it might be worthwhile to apply for an archaeologist job through the USG. They offer permanent and seasonal (so could be like a paid internship).

thank you for the advise, more experience could not hurt- what is the USG? 

Totally rejected from ASU, a little bummed but can't say that I'm surprised! I heard that the dept I applied to hasn't graduated any Phds in ages, so it's not super surprising. Congrats to everyone who was accepted! 

Tulane (accepted)

Univ of Pitt (accepted)

ASU (rejected)

UIC 

LSU 

• 6 months later...

Have you already begun to connect with Brenda Baker and ask if she is accepting grad students? It is one of the best bio arch programs out there, and thus, one of the most competitive. I would start talking with her and ask her how you can make yourself stand out from the rest. Maybe look at recent theses and see if there is a common theme as far as research work and use that in your SOP as an angle that you're interested in the same topics. Definitely will have to argue why their program is the best fit for you, and what you can also bring to their program.

Edited by AKCarlton

I agree with what AKCarlton stated.  It is one of the best programs for bioarchaeology.  I have looked into it but I decided against it because of how competitive it is.  Funding probably won't be easy to come by because of how many grad students they have.  I'd say talk to POIs at the school and see what they say.  But I definitely suggest using it as one of the reach schools if you're interested in it.  However, there are other great programs for bioarchaeology.  Look into Ohio State, they are a great program and have some leading biological anthropologists, including multiple bioarchaeologists, on staff.  What region of interest are you looking into?