Chicago Harris

DeltaAA

I got admitted with no funding as well. Super stoked! The Harris Twitter was driving me CRAZY with the suspense, haha.

Does anyone have any thoughts on UChicago without funding-- is that a choice most MPP students make? Is it worth it to take out loans for everything? I know that answer varies with every individual person, but I would love to hear others' thoughts on attending without funding. I'm weighing Duke Nicholas School (Master of Environmental Management) with 20k funding, but Chicago is my dream school. What is everyone else thinking? 

I got admitted with no funding as well. Super stoked! The Harris Twitter was driving me CRAZY with the suspense, haha.

At first glance, I read "suspense" as "nonsense."  Really glad we don't have to deal with the Harris admissions nonsense anymore.  

About going to Harris without any funding--I'm struggling with the same problem.  I ultimately want to get a PhD and go into research/academia, and I don't know if it makes any sense to get into a ton of debt this early in the game.  I asked a friend who's on a PhD admissions committee at Stanford and he replied with the following:

"It seems like schools often choose candidates they know and like, so if you would like to pursue a phd at Harris, it makes sense to go there now and try and impress them by working hard for two years; in contrast, if you think you would want to pursue a phd at USC - it makes sense to be there for the MPP.  For me personally I would get a masters from the program who would let me do more high-quality research from the get go, because that would keep me engaged and potentially produce publishable work. I would not go to a place where there is little mentorship in terms of research because people are too busy, travel a lot, or are too busy with consulting outside of academia."

Apologies to hbhagz if this doesn't apply to you, but I figured I'd post it in case it helps anyone else!

About going to Harris without any funding--I'm struggling with the same problem.  I ultimately want to get a PhD and go into research/academia, and I don't know if it makes any sense to get into a ton of debt this early in the game.  I asked a friend who's on a PhD admissions committee at Stanford and he replied with the following:

I have exactly the same concern. In addition, I am an international student and so need to be doubly cautious about any dollar debt. Harris seems like the right school for us as it 'appears' more theoretical but the no-funding situation makes it a very difficult choice. Also i would be interested in knowing the general scene around TA ships, RA ships etc (if any) at Harris. 

Admitted with no funding. Not likely to attend as the school is so expensive to begin with but going to send the admissions director an email with questions regarding assistantship opportunities. I will let you all know what I find out!

Edited by uncgrad2009

Congratulations to those getting in, Harris sounds like such an amazing school.

I had a question for those admitted without funding; are you considering attending and paying full tuition + living expenses? I'm applying for the Fall '15 cycle and I can see myself getting in to some similarly priced schools without funding and I'd like to hear any insight or thouhghts on attending at full cost.

Congratulations to those getting in, Harris sounds like such an amazing school.

I had a question for those admitted without funding; are you considering attending and paying full tuition + living expenses? I'm applying for the Fall '15 cycle and I can see myself getting in to some similarly priced schools without funding and I'd like to hear any insight or thouhghts on attending at full cost.

I'm asking about non-Harris School based funding opportunities and will share what they say when that comes my way. 

Edited by uncgrad2009

Thank you uncgrad2009!  I wanted to email the admissions director too but I guess if you're doing it I shouldn't be asking the same set of questions twice.  Looking forward to his response soon :)

Hi everyone: 

This is what the Director of Admissions stated in an email: 

"There are several opportunities for our students to pursue research and teaching assistantships. However, due to the workload in the core, we encourage our students to wait until the 3rd quarter of the first year. 

That being said, however, I will happily add your name to the aid reconsideration list. We will review the list regularly and make decisions accordingly between now and April 15th. We, however, cannot guarantee that you will be awarded additional aid, but we will fully reconsider you for scholarship. Stay tuned!"

Make sure you get your name added to the aid reconsideration list!

Just received email from Chicago regarding another status update- they're now offering me a scholarship that covers half of tuition. Yesterday I had nothing so this is good news!

Just received email from Chicago regarding another status update- they're now offering me a scholarship that covers half of tuition. Yesterday I had nothing so this is good news!

Same. A bit confused as to why the change, though if accurate I'm obviously not complaining. I just sent them an email to confirm which is actually correct...

I contacted them yesterday and got a notice for an award today.  Considering that they estimate cost of attendance as 67k/year, it hardly makes a dent but is just enough to make me feel sick to my stomach every time I even think about turning the offer down.  

Ahhh!!! UChicago I love/hate you so much.

Edited by jzhu

To the people getting scholarships today: did you contact Chicago or did this just happen out of the blue?

In my case, out of the blue! I have not exchanged even a single email with the admissions office. 

Guess I got luck! 

I contacted them yesterday and got a notice for an award today.  Considering that they estimate cost of attendance as 67k/year, it hardly makes a dent but is just enough to make me feel sick to my stomach every time I even think about turning the offer down.  

Ahhh!!! UChicago I love/hate you so much.

Seriously. I was ok with turning it down with no money but even a little bit makes that decision SO MUCH harder. 

I also got a scholarship offer today after emailing them yesterday. My account was updated with the new amount within 20 minutes of receiving an email from admissions placing me on the aid reconsideration list, so not sure if the decision was made before or after that. 

To the people getting scholarships today: did you contact Chicago or did this just happen out of the blue?

Totally out of the blue for me—hence my contacting them to make sure it wasn't a mistake!

Seriously. I was ok with turning it down with no money but even a little bit makes that decision SO MUCH harder. 

Mo money mo problems   :D

My scholarship notice was out of the blue too, after originally receiving a "no funding" with my original admission decision. So happy about it though! (11k)

Darn. No $ for me. No update either. I feel left out!

Then again I never did get any sort of email stating that my application had been updated in the first place. I have only seen it on the website.

Success!  I was reconsidered for financial aid and received some $$ through their Dean Scholarship.  For those who cannot attend due to the lack of financial support, I definitely suggest to email them and request to be placed on the reconsideration list.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Edited by dazed