NDSEG Fall 2014

gellert

What are people putting down for memberships/certifications?  I really feel like I have nothing here...

I am a national member of IEEE and SWE, but no certifications.

Have other people put Dean's List or graduating cum laude as Awards & Honors? If so, how did you fill out the "Presenter" blanks?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been able to find any good info on the probability of getting one of these awards, beyond knowing that only about 200 are awarded?

It's been in the back of my mind a lot since the submission deadline...

Thanks, but I should've clarified that I meant more in terms of a breakdown by field. Mostly just something to ease my concerns that there might be a slight inclination against chemistry projects being chosen, which is something I've noticed for the award distribution for the NSF GRFP. Then again, it's not really something worth worrying about since it's all up in the air now.

Thanks, but I should've clarified that I meant more in terms of a breakdown by field. Mostly just something to ease my concerns that there might be a slight inclination against chemistry projects being chosen, which is something I've noticed for the award distribution for the NSF GRFP. Then again, it's not really something worth worrying about since it's all up in the air now.

Ahh, apologies.  I am honestly not sure, and I'm also unable to find that info... If anyone else has it, I'd be interested as well just for curiosity's sake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's disappointing...looking at the various years of fellowship forum topics, it seems like the fellowship announcement days keep getting pushed to be later and later. :/ From what I've heard about at least the NSF GRFP, they're basically just waiting til April so they don't mess with admissions and have already decided on their awardees.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump on this for now. The NSF people are getting antsy; I want to believe some of us NDSEG are just more calm and collected but its probably just because we're a smaller group :).

I also think that the general consensus is that they most certainly won't come out for at least another week, if not two.

I wish the NDSEG people could give us a better date estimate than "mid-April." Even if they were like, "yo it ain't comin' out til April 12th." I'd rather know that I'm waiting for a late-ish date than just wait day to day and not know anything.

Oh well. As my dad always used to say: If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

Just a bump on this for now. The NSF people are getting antsy; I want to believe some of us NDSEG are just more calm and collected but its probably just because we're a smaller group :).

haha, as someone in part of both groups (oh the anxiety!) in the recent past, since 2010, NSF has always announced first and then a week or so later NDSEG announces. not claiming its intentional just observing 

NSF:

2014: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 @ 2:00 AM

2013 : Friday, March 29, 2013 @ ~2:00AM

2012: Friday, April 1, 2012 @ ~2:00AM

2011: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 @ ~12:50AM

2010: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 @ ~1:00AM

2009: Friday, April 10, 2009 @ ~1:00AM

2008: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 @ ~2:00AM

2007: Monday, March 23. 2007 @ ~11:20 PM

NDSEG:

2014: April  10

2013: April  3

2012: April 13

2011: April 18

2010: April 12

2009: March 31

2008: March 29?

2007: April 2

haha, as someone in part of both groups (oh the anxiety!) in the recent past, since 2010, NSF has always announced first and then a week or so later NDSEG announces. not claiming its intentional just observing 

NSF:

2014: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 @ 2:00 AM

2013 : Friday, March 29, 2013 @ ~2:00AM

2012: Friday, April 1, 2012 @ ~2:00AM

2011: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 @ ~12:50AM

2010: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 @ ~1:00AM

2009: Friday, April 10, 2009 @ ~1:00AM

2008: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 @ ~2:00AM

2007: Monday, March 23. 2007 @ ~11:20 PM

NDSEG:

2014: April  10

2013: April  3

2012: April 13

2011: April 18

2010: April 12

2009: March 31

2008: March 29?

2007: April 2

Hey, I'm in both, too! Thanks for the comparison of when they're announced--a shame that NDSEG is announced later, as I'm personally more excited about that one...

Hey, I'm in both, too! Thanks for the comparison of when they're announced--a shame that NDSEG is announced later, as I'm personally more excited about that one...

I'm also in both. Personally, I think I'm much more competitive for the NDSEG than I am the NSF GRFP. It then follows that I am much more anxious to hear from the NDSEG. I should write a scientific paper on how time slows down relativistically the closer you get to when the fellowships announce winners.