Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

1) I am in the same boat as you. 2 for Dec 1 and 6 for Dec 15 but I should really get all of them done this week. I won't but I should.

2) I went to NCA. I spoke to USC's director of the doctoral program. He said they intended to get decisions out earlier because, apparently, USC requires them to submit a list of the students they plan to admit by Jan 30, which is a stretch for them. However, they have not started looking at them and probably will not notify any earlier.

They told me that they are giving people until Nov. 30 to get the rest of their supplemental materials in.  That saved my application since I have considerably higher GRE scores now and one of my letter writers has been unresponsive since mid-October.  Thankfully, I got another letter writer who has been incredibly flexible and kind.    

Edited by The Pedanticist

Do any of your applications list an optional writing sample? 

I have three applications due on Dec 1, and I'm wondering whether to skip honing a writing sample if it's optional. I'd rather spend time working on my statements....

It probably depends on the program.  Some programs that don't list the writing sample as mandatory do consider it mandatory...they just haven't updated their websites.  But I don't think that is true of any of the schools in your signature.

They told me that they are giving people until Nov. 30 to get the rest of their supplemental materials in.  That saved my application since I have considerably higher GRE scores now and one of my letter writers has been unresponsive since mid-October.  Thankfully, I got another letter writer who has been incredibly flexible and kind.    

I heard that too and I'm glad it helped you out. To be honest, though, it bothers me. I could definitely have used an extra month working on my application, had someone told me that. Don't tell me it's due November 1 - don't advertise that it's due November 1st - if it's really December 1st. 

I'm being unreasonably grouchy about it but I was not pleased when I heard that. 

Edited by autumn

My letter writers are being predictably quiet (damn academics, I asked them months ago!)

Thinking positively and hoping it will get done.Just about managed to get USC in for Nov 1st so fingers crossed I can do the next lot!

I'm submitting my MA thesis as my writing sample, not worrying about specificity but treating as just a way of showing how well I can write / research.

I'd definitely include something for a sample even if its optional.

As for the SOP specificity versus general - feeling the same way!

Yeah, the MA thesis seems like a natural choice for a writing sample. For this application, the limit for the optional sample is 10 pages though -- too short for something that reflects the thesis as a whole, and too long for just a section.  :/ 

Anyone else having this quandary? 

Noah - don' fret. I had a letter writer go silent for almost 6 weeks who re-emerged yesterday to say she has the letters on her radar and is swamped but it will happen. She always comes through for me so I trust her.

hermes - one of my places has a 15 page limit, and I found it buried on some other page that it's typical for this to only be an excerpt of something larger, like a master's thesis. 

Noah - don' fret. I had a letter writer go silent for almost 6 weeks who re-emerged yesterday to say she has the letters on her radar and is swamped but it will happen. She always comes through for me so I trust her.

hermes - one of my places has a 15 page limit, and I found it buried on some other page that it's typical for this to only be an excerpt of something larger, like a master's thesis. 

All of my letters are in except for one. I know he's been super busy but it's due Monday so I'm admittedly a little freaked out. I wish I had your trust!

The average of my writing samples is 15, 10 the shortest and 25 the longest. Once again, I really wish some of these elements were standardized.

The average of my writing samples is 15, 10 the shortest and 25 the longest. Once again, I really wish some of these elements were standardized.

I agree! Limits for mine are either 10 or 20. Note that they usually don't indicate whether it's single or double spaced either. I'm going with double spaced to be safe, but it's just unnecessarily adding even more uncertainty into an already opaque process. 

Anyone else confused with Minnesota's application process?  Specifically, the three statements they have you fill out on the application and the three extremely similar statements that you fill out and upload with the TA application.

Why oh why do you need a personal statement/diversity essay in addition to the SOP? WHY? 

So many essays. 

I'm having the exact same problem! ONE school asks for a "personal history" statement about overcoming obstacles. It doesn't help that my background is awfully white bread -- upper middle class white girl from the suburbs. No divorce, no diversity, nada.

My academic career, however, has followed an odd and wandering path, so I'm using the "personal history" space to explain how this path has brought me to applying to this school. 

I'm having the exact same problem! ONE school asks for a "personal history" statement about overcoming obstacles. It doesn't help that my background is awfully white bread -- upper middle class white girl from the suburbs. No divorce, no diversity, nada.

My academic career, however, has followed an odd and wandering path, so I'm using the "personal history" space to explain how this path has brought me to applying to this school. 

I think that's fair. I had one professor say that diversity of perspective is valid, whether that's personally or academically motivated. 

I have the opposite problem. There are plenty of things I could mention but I have no desire to write a woe is me essay. 

Edited by autumn

I have the opposite problem. There are plenty of things I could mention but I have no desire to write a woe is me essay. 

Me too! I'm choosing not to mention them. It's awkward and a little horrible either way. 

Me too! I'm choosing not to mention them. It's awkward and a little horrible either way. 

I have to mention some of them because they are the original motivations for my research but I'd rather just write about my education, research, and experiences.

It is definitely awkward and horrible either way, I agree. 

I think that's fair. I had one professor say that diversity of perspective is valid, whether that's personally or academically motivated. 

Word. 

Yes, one. Putting finishing touches on it. Feel like a loser because I waited til the last minute and my MIT-acceptance brother is telling me there's no way I'll be accepted if I waited until the actual deadline to submit my application.... hrmph. 

Are we supposed to title SOP's??! I can't believe I already submitted an application with no title... I imagine we should at least be writing "Statement of Purpose" on the top..?

Yes, two. 

I just put "Statement of Purpose" as the title. And I highly doubt the time you submit your application has any bearing on your acceptance, as long as everything's in on time.

On that note, I'm STILL waiting for my main LOR writer to submit his letter. Today.

I highly doubt the time you submit your application has any bearing on your acceptance, as long as everything's in on time.

^ 100% agree. 

I've been titling it with whatever they call it (statement of purpose, academic statement of purpose, personal statement). 

I had an LOR writer submit my last UT Austin letter today. I was having a fit. Good luck!