Sub-par projected GRE scores

Ilikekitties

I took a practice GRE test last week and I scored poorly (150V and 141Q). I had leftover time for most sections. Are these scores good enough to get into any "good" graduate schools? Of course it will depend on my application as a whole.....but would they exclude me from schools?

I would like to take the GRE in January.

Some universities have GRE requirements... Sometimes this isn't even up to the departments. If you have time and money then you might want to retake it. I didn't have great GRE scores and got into a couple of good programs, so don't let that bring you down, but consider retaking it if you can. 

Good luck!

I will elaborate further. Call the programs you intend to apply to and ask what their general GRE scores are for those who have been accepted in the past few years, and also ask them how they feel about GRE scores in particular. Mine have all said it wasn't the final deciding vote of who did and did not get into their program.

I had really general GRE scores and was accepted to 3 out of 4 programs I applied to and the 4th one wasn't really a good fit to begin with but I wanted to see for myself.

...and I have damn near perfect GRE scores and didn't get in anywhere last time!

Make your statement and CV as strong as you can possibly make them and go out of your way to make contact with your POIs; give whatever time and energy you have leftover to worrying about your GREs. Only that and nothing more :)

Without studying, I scored 154V/152Q on my first (Kaplan) practice test.

After putting it aside for a while and studying for ~2 months, I ended up with 168V/158Q(/5.5W).

Studying definitely helps, and there's a good chance you'll do better on the actual thing.

Also, I HIGHLY suggest that you schedule a later test. Anytime after noon, but the last time I took mine it was at 5pm and I loved it. I did better than previously. I wasn't hungry or sleepy or grumpy or any of the other dwarves. 

My test is scheduled for 8 am which is smack dab in the middle of my smart time.  My synapses will be firing at full capacity.  But I'm a morning person with a work day that starts at 5:30am. 

Nice. Optimize your smart time. Always. 8 am is my relatively smart time....but it is my relatively smart in pajamas time. Shower and pant acquisition is beyond me before 10. I would say just one more thing about the GRE. I'm super happy with my scores and won't be retaking, but my essay score was pretty meh. So maybe read a few practice ones on a test prep website, if you can find one. 

...and I have damn near perfect GRE scores and didn't get in anywhere last time!

Make your statement and CV as strong as you can possibly make them and go out of your way to make contact with your POIs; give whatever time and energy you have leftover to worrying about your GREs. Only that and nothing more :)

Wow! That's really helpful to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I drew the line with the GRE. I bombed the math, but with a full-time job, teaching and other responsibilities, I had to weigh the importance of literally relearning all of high school math (either myself or by taking a GRE course AGAIN) and just focusing on my other application factors. I decided my life was more important than math, and if that keeps me out of academia forever, then I don't even want to join their stupid math club.

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

I found the Manhattan tests to be more difficult than the ETS tests, including the actual GRE, and sometimes their verbal questions and answer choices seemed...not quite right.  My actual scores (170V, 156Q) were 2-4 points higher than the Manhattan practice tests I took, so I wouldn't worry too much.  But I found a few of the Manhattan strategy tips helpful for raising my scores from my early practice tests, so if you have time to read through some of that material, that would be helpful.  Good luck!

NOWAYNOHOW - I'm also working full time at a school (organizing ALL the tests instead of teaching this year).  And a few days before the GRE, I decided the math could go to hell, because I don't really see what most of the GRE math has to do with cultural anthropology.  Pleh.