DAAD

Horb

I applied for the Speak Write Institute in Marburg (a small, inexpensive city compared to others) and for the GI in Bonn as my second choice. I thought about Swäbisch Hall, but I wanted to try a new area as I studied in Tübingen during undergrad.

I'm glad to hear that it covered so much! I'm dying to keep up my studies on German in Germany. Thanks for the info. I'm now going to be hoping I get an email or something soon! 

Today marks week 8 since submitting my application. I still haven't received confirmation that they received it (though my tracker for my mailed application says it got there on the day of the deadline). Should I email or call someone or wait longer?

They never confirmed with me that they received my application - I emailed (in a mild panic) and they informed me that they had received it weeks ago. Always good to check but it seems that their confirmation mechanism may not be 100%

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed a change in their application status on the DAAD portal?

Yes, I just checked now... it says rejected. :( I thought we weren't supposed to hear until late March at the earliest?

Has anyone else noticed a change in their application status on the DAAD portal?

Yes, I just checked now... it says rejected. :( I thought we weren't supposed to hear until late March at the earliest?

Hey guys! My status changed as well - to "application rejected" :(. If you look at past years, they have pretty much notified all through March depending on the year and grant type (I was going for a 10-month research grant). The application status box has also shown fishy/misleading things, so there's still an extremely minute chance it doesn't mean anything, though. Googling isn't turning up anyone who's ever seen this status before, though I wouldn't be surprised if this were new given last year's "Selection Made" debacle. 

I ended up getting a fellowship that pays nearly 1.5x as much per month and lasts 12 months, so I'm not that upset, but of course the security of knowing more than one institution thought your project was worthwhile is always nice. Meh. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything else! Best of luck to you!

Edited by umamam

I haven't heard anything. But I applied for the intensive language grant and there is no portal for that.

Edited by Horb

Ohhhhh "selection made" sound promising! I hope you hear via email or something soon that you got it :)

Thanks! In one of the threads from past years it says that their status changed in about a week from "selection made" to "funded"...It's been about two or three days since I first checked the portal and noticed the first change...I'll keep checking...

I've also applied for the summer intensive language grant, so I'll post as soon as I hear anything. I've got my friends checking my campus mailbox for me for snail mail...

I heard for the summer intensive that you get an email first, then snail mail later (from two people who I met on GC who won it). I'm really hoping we hear back soon! 

Also, where/what programs did you apply for for the intensive grant? I did Marburg then Bonn as my second choice.

I got "selection made," too, and when I hover my mouse over it, it pops up a little text bubble saying "Selection Made - Row 1 column Application status - Selected."  Don't wanna read too much into it, though, because of last year's confusion...but maybe this means we'll all hear the official word soon?

Here's hoping! :)

I got "selection made," too, and when I hover my mouse over it, it pops up a little text bubble saying "Selection Made - Row 1 column Application status - Selected."  Don't wanna read too much into it, though, because of last year's confusion...but maybe this means we'll all hear the official word soon?

Here's hoping! :)

Hey! Thanks for the "hovering" info! It also says "Selection Made - Row 1 column Application status - Selected" -- !!!  I'm trying to remain cool and cautious, but...whatever! I'll just smile a bit more until I receive a rejection :0

Just a word of caution about the hover text - it sounds very likely that the "selection made" folks might be getting the scholarship anyway, but my status on the portal says "Application rejected" and hovering over it brings up "Application rejected - Row 1 column Application status - Selected". I'm guessing that second part about "Application status - Selected" might just refer to the fact that your application status has been selected (i.e. to be accepted or rejected), or it might be a glitch, so be cautious about reading too much into that!

Edited by zadigblue

I created this account just to tell you guys about that "selection made" thing.

When I select the column with my mouse and hover over it, the tooltip tells me "Row 1 column, Application Status - Selected". When I select another column with my mouse, lets say "Funding program number", the tooltip tells me "Row 1 column, Funding Program Number - Selected".

"Selected", or "selection made" in that hovering info box means that you selected that column using your mouse. That's my guess!

I hope this helps DAAD portal applicants now and in many years to come lol. I'm personally still waiting for a decision about my Study Scholarship for a two year MIA program at Hertie School of Governance: my application status still says Paper Copies Received. 

Edited by lukebonanno