University of Michigan MSW Applicants

LotusInABox

How long did you have to wait before status was changed from "Application is Complete" to where you saw you were accepted on Wolverine Access? I'm just overly anxious so it might be too soon but just wanted to see. 

I received notice of acceptance on Wolverine Access about a month and a half after I finished my application (I submitted my application well in advance of the early application deadline), and received my official email about a week later. It may be a faster process now though.

From my reading, if your application status says Complete, they have made a decision. If you do not have notice on Wolverine then you most likely are either wait listed or denied. Wait list's and acceptances get an e-mail sent to whatever e-mail they stated on the application that they have reached an admissions decision (sometimes takes a few days to come into your regular e-mail after the decision is made) and it states the decision on there. Denials get decisions through snail mail. This is what I have learned from knowing students at UofM and from reading different articles. BEST OF LUCK!! UofM is one of the hardest schools to get into :) Even being wait listed is an honor. Ann Arbor is an amazing city, the faculty for the MSW program are top notch, and the resources available for any specialization are fabulous. A good way of looking at it, if you are denied from ANY program, maybe they knew you would not flourish in their program and that they do not have the resources to support your goals and future endeavors :) The waiting part is the hardest but take a deep breathe and know that you are not alone!!!! 

Has anyone here visited U-M? How did you like it if you have? I'm doing a tour of the SSW building and attending a class tomorrow afternoon. I've lived in Ann Arbor for 10 years, but I've never been inside any of the campus buildings before.

Hey Nochal. I'm like you, I grew up in the Ann Arbor area but had never been to the school of social work building until I visited this past fall. The school was very beautiful and modern inside. The building layout seems pretty straightforward, and the commons area seems like a great place to study or hang out between classes.

The class I sat in on was awesome as well. Most of the students were advanced standing or second year students, but at no time did I feel out of place. The professor went out of her way to include me in the class and have me actively participating, despite me being just a visitor.

The students were also very welcoming and inclusive. They did mention that there is lots of competition between students, but that it is usually friendly. That being said, I wouldn't expect anything less from a graduate program at U of M.

Sounds like you had a great experience overall. Unfortunately, due to campus closing for this winter weather, I have to reschedule my visit. It's too bad since I was really looking forward to going now that I've heard about your positive experience!

Sounds like you had a great experience overall. Unfortunately, due to campus closing for this winter weather, I have to reschedule my visit. It's too bad since I was really looking forward to going now that I've heard about your positive experience!

It was absolutely a great visit. Definitely worth the time. It took Michigan from the school I thought I wanted to go to, to the school I was positive I wanted to go to.

MissyTee, when did you apply?

I had the application in on the 1st but one recommender did not get her letter in until a week into January which was super frustrating. Once I knew everything was in, I checked into Wolverine Access to test it out. When it said "Application is Incomplete", I frantically called Michigan to see if something was really missing. After that call it changed to "Application is Complete". It really hasn't even been that long since then, but it feels like it. Continuing the waiting game...

I really feel like we shouldn't be held responsible for late recommenders ugh. But you have been waiting almost a month, so who knows you may hear something soon! My application status wasn't complete until I called them either, which was a little annoying.

I just got an email today from Michael McDermott saying that my initial application processing has begun with directions to set up my Wolverine account. The view decision link has not appeared yet, so I'm kind of a bit stressed but trying to take it easy. About how long after you got sent that email did you guys start hearing back? I sent in my stuff on Dec. 18th. 

I just got an email today from Michael McDermott saying that my initial application processing has begun with directions to set up my Wolverine account. The view decision link has not appeared yet, so I'm kind of a bit stressed but trying to take it easy. About how long after you got sent that email did you guys start hearing back? I sent in my stuff on Dec. 18th.

I got my unofficial acceptance about a month after receiving that email. Official acceptance about two weeks after that.

I got my unofficial acceptance about a month after receiving that email. Official acceptance about two weeks after that.

I got this message on January 15th (I submitted my application on Nov. 29th). Someone else mentioned above that if the application on the Wolverine Access account says it is complete, that it means that I was wait-listed or denied? I'm assuming, based on what you just said, that this is not the case?? So nervous. I got accepted into Wayne State University, Michigan State University, and now I'm just waiting on U of M before I make a decision!

Someone else mentioned above that if the application on the Wolverine Access account says it is complete, that it means that I was wait-listed or denied?

The decision regarding your application is still being decided until a "View Decision" link is available on Wolverine Access. 

I was wondering, did anyone apply to the advanced standing program at U of M? If you did, did it say in your decision on Wolverine Access anything about being accepted into the Advanced Standing program? Mine says I was accepted into the MSW program, and I'm wondering if this means Advanced Standing, being that that is what I applied for. Please reply if you know!! :)

Hey Flinn,

My official acceptance letter detailed the program length I was accepted in to. Also under the "Degree Progress" tab and the "Academic Requirements" subsection it indicates my major and exactly how many credits I need to graduate.

If it's not in one of those places I would recommend giving the school a call to verify. Hope this helps!

I was wondering, did anyone apply to the advanced standing program at U of M? If you did, did it say in your decision on Wolverine Access anything about being accepted into the Advanced Standing program? Mine says I was accepted into the MSW program, and I'm wondering if this means Advanced Standing, being that that is what I applied for. Please reply if you know!! :)

Just as Stupid Guns said, the details of your acceptance will be outlined in your acceptance letter which is attached to your acceptance email. (Which I received 3 days after I was accepted on Wolverine Access.)

Your Advanced Standing status, Practice Method, Practice Method Minor, and Practice Area will all be detailed in the attached acceptance letter. It's all labeled at "tentative" until they receive your official undergraduate transcripts, of course, but that's where I saw my adv standing status confirmed.

So, it's been a bit over a month since my last recommender got her recommendation in (I submitted all other materialson December 1). Still no change in my status on Wolverine Access, no email, and no rejection letter in the mail. I had sent a request for an interview via their "Contact Us" box on their website and have not heard anything back. I will email the office directly now about the interview but I doubt that will change anything. Do you think they might just be holding off until they have better estimate of enrollment to give me a decision? It frustrates me because I love everything about Michigan but my interactions from schools with other schools have been much more pleasant.

So, it's been a bit over a month since my last recommender got her recommendation in (I submitted all other materialson December 1). Still no change in my status on Wolverine Access, no email, and no rejection letter in the mail. I had sent a request for an interview via their "Contact Us" box on their website and have not heard anything back.

I don't know much anything about their interviewing process. Unfortunately, I'd guess that your application was lumped in with the March 1 deadline applications. The U-M rep that spoke to my BSW class last Fall really stressed that applications had to be "complete" with all 3 letters submitted by the deadline. I think someone in my class even asked her about a scenario if a letter writer submitted late and the rep still said it wouldn't be reviewed until it was "complete." I don't think it'd hurt anything if you contacted them to ask if your application was received, though. It's really unfortunate, since you really did everything right, it was just that the recommender was late. 

Edited by Nochal

Nevermind all my bitching and moaning about never hearing. After swearing off looking on Wolverine Access for days until I got an email, I decided to peek this morning after getting multiple emails about the Peace Corps program and the Ask a Student webinar because I thought "Really? You're sending these to me and you still have no update? Ridiculous." But there was finally a "View Decision" link and notification of acceptance. I am beyond relieved. Thank you everyone for answering my questions!