Research Experience vs GPA

Buffalofan4255

I have a relatively low cumulative GPA coming out of undergrad, particularly because of my intro 100 level courses. 

My overall cum is 3.32. But my three majors (Economics, Geography, and International Trade) are 3.39, 3.77, and 3.77, respectively. 

However, I have 3 years of research experience in 2 labs and will be publishing a literature review under a non-profit student-run think tank I founded.

Outside of other stuff (like 13 internships - one with NASA HQ, president of clubs, being a Senator of my student association, and being a student representative to my department), what is the typical breakdown of research experience vs GPA? 

Also - I applied to an Oxford MSc, which says they require a 3.7, but after emailing the PD, she said that high marks in relevant courses and research experience weigh heavily. But I don't know if that's just a saying to get me to apply. The program's acceptance rate is a little under 50%. 

Any thoughts?

The program's acceptance rate is a little under 50%. 

I agree with iphi. Also, I would give anything for a ~50% acceptance rate. My programs are at 4-7%.  

What if a school only lists upper division gpa requirements and only asks you to report upper division on the app? If my upper division gpa is well above their requirements but my overall is below that, would it matter? 

Got rejected w/o an interview, despite having high marks in my upper levels as opposed to lower levels. Go figure...

-_-

Maybe they thought the fit wasn't the best. There are so many potential reasons as to why you didn't get in.

Thirteen internships? You should be fine, for real.

Honestly, like everyone else has been saying, I think it's a balancing act, and each application is unique— some applicants' strengths are in numbers, while others' are in experience, their statements, letters of recommendation, etc. There are so many variables— but I think the high level of experience you have is a more than appropriate antidote to a 3.3 GPA. I only have one internship under my belt that's related to my field (worked my way through college waiting tables so I didn't have a lot of spare time for interning), but I managed a 3.8 GPA, close to a 3.9 in my major. For some programs, that may be enough for me, but others may look for the opposite (i.e. your kind of application). It really just depends. That said, I've got more than plenty of faith in you!

Thanks for the responses and words of encouragement everyone.

Just got another rejection, this time from imperial from business school (innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Management). Sent my application last week, and they haven't even received my glowing recommendation from my supervisor at NASA headquarters in DC, and got rejection email this morning.

Probably either my GPA or its already filled, I don't know. Damn.

Applying to my further safeties, Buffalo, Ohio State, and Edinburgh. Getting worried. I would really like to get into LSE, UCL, or Toronto though, as they've been my favorite programs thus far.

Edited by Buffalofan4255