Berkeley MSW

psych12345

• 3 weeks later...

I have a specific question about the UC Berkeley application. For the analytical question, how specific should we get? For example, one of the recommendations I am making is for mental health services on university campuses to have "ample drop in hours." Should I be more specific or is that description sufficient? They ask about recommendations and operationalizing those recommendations, so I want to know what those look like. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2015, 1:30:28, pickfights said:

I have a specific question about the UC Berkeley application. For the analytical question, how specific should we get? For example, one of the recommendations I am making is for mental health services on university campuses to have "ample drop in hours." Should I be more specific or is that description sufficient? They ask about recommendations and operationalizing those recommendations, so I want to know what those look like. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. 

I feel like both of your questions are relatively generic to social work MSW apps.  As far as your question about TAing goes, no, that is definitely not relevant social work experience.  When admissions asks about relevant social work experience, they are getting at volunteer or paid work with human services organizations, non-profits, or policy organizations, not academic coursework or teaching.

As for your analytical question, I would suggest going beyond that description.  We were asked to identify a social need and address it.  I wrote about the history of desegregation of schools in my hometown and the disparities in education that continue due to racism, educational policies, and housing issues.  I explored relevant scientific literature on integration policies and practices, then proposed a strategy.  Your page limit will dictate the depth of your paper, to an extent, but I would be as specific and concrete as possible.

On 10/25/2015, 11:44:37, esimanon said:

Current MSW at Berkeley student here - what are your questions?

If you wouldn't mind, I also have a question about the program!

I'm interested in going into clinical social work. Does Berkeley have a strong clinical base or is it more research or administration focused?

would it be appropriate to mention things specifically about the school in my SOP? for example, "i'm interested in the clinical track, and i know UC Berkeley has a post MSW program with their CAPS program. i would love to pursue that as i'm especially interested in mental health on college campuses"

something along those lines? thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow. Just saw the replies. Feel free to pm me if you prefer that to replying in the thread. I just wanted to get a general sense of the program, diversity within the student body, quality of instruction, etc. Was also wondering what courses consisted of. Currently in a very presentation/groupwork heavy program that I am not thrilled about (doing group work for the sake of doing group work). I applied, but definitely still interested to hear people's experiences. 

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, psych12345 said:

Wow. Just saw the replies. Feel free to pm me if you prefer that to replying in the thread. I just wanted to get a general sense of the program, diversity within the student body, quality of instruction, etc. Was also wondering what courses consisted of. Currently in a very presentation/groupwork heavy program that I am not thrilled about (doing group work for the sake of doing group work). I applied, but definitely still interested to hear people's experiences. 

Thanks!!

My MSW program at a state school was group work heavy, too, and some of it was horrible.  Most of it, in fact.  You'll find in the field of social work that collaboration is emphasized because it's crucial to your success as a social worker.  Most social workers are a part of some sort of team.  I think you'll be hard pressed to find a program that doesn't require at least a little bit of group work.

Even in my PhD program, collaboration and teamwork is a part of the program. :\  It's rough, but necessary.

Yea totally. I think some of it lends itself to learning and practice in collaboration, and some less so. I am not thinking I can avoid it by any means, just wondering about proportion more than anything I guess too. 

Just an aside....did you get licensed post-msw, pre PhD, or go straight into the PhD?

I did not get licensed, though I am planning to.  I went straight into my PhD because of my life circumstances (age, family, etc.).  I wish, wish, wish that I had been able to take a few years to develop some practice experience because I would be eligible to take more jobs and a different variety of jobs.