Electrical/Computer Engineering admission results?

durlov

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, the theory needs a revision :P

My hunch is that the acceptance notification email is generated directly by the person who makes the decision. It doesnt seem likely that the system is of the kind where they send a list of accepted students to the graduate office and the office sends out the emails on one day all of a sudden. The kind of deadline they operate against could be some kind of a soft one where the professors are required to select a specific number roughly by this date, etc.

This means, we probably might even get the acceptance at 12 midnite on a saturday because professors might work whenever they want, probably even from the comfort of their homes. Stay alive. Lets wait through the weekend. They might be in the process of making their minds to choose from their final options or something. Who knows, you might get an email later tonite :)

ok, the theory needs a revision :P

They might be in the process of making their minds to choose from their final options or something. Who knows, you might get an email later tonite :)

I hope the professors flip a coin. I'm pretty lucky :lol: , up until now.

At least, until Feb 21st, people must respond whether or not they are attending the RSVP. So we'll know by then. :roll:

Yup, it looks as though we are just going to have to keep waiting. Logic would say that we should have found out by now, but the fact that nobody has posted an MIT EE admit on the results page (I am pretty sure that we have established that the EECS posts were CS admissions), tells me that we are probably still in the running.

I mean, really, the department has over 850 graduate students. Lets assume that they each year 200 new graduate students join EECS, (worst case: 100 EE and 100 CS - In reality, I think that EE is a larger proportion). This means that they will offer admission to at least 400 students (200 EE and 200 CS) because 50 percent will not take their offer for funding reasons or to go to another school (I read this 50% statistic somewhere else). The chances of NOT ONE of the >200 EE admitted students posting their results here, on yuster, or anywhere else that any of us is watching is pretty slim. Especially considering the fact that most graduate programs out there are significantly smaller than this and we are seeing them post results on the board (I think I saw a post about a department with 8 slots).

Additionally, the lack of a straight answer from the MIT office on the phone (as described by the people who called) seems to indicate that admissions haven't gone out yet. Let the tension resume next week... Or, who knows, maybe they work on Saturdays...

Well, enough speculating. Although this situation is complex, we need to remember that only part of what we know is real and the rest is purely imaginary. (Get it... complex, real, imaginary.... Okay, sorry for the bad joke. It was a poor attempt at some EE humor)

Unfortunately this theory doesn't go well with the RVSP dates:

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/admitted/ (cs)

http://www.eecs.mit.edu/admittees/ (ee)

We should start crafting a theory about second-round acceptance. :-)

This theory just modifies the assertion that we should expect to receive acceptance notifications only during working day/office hours. I agree though, that with passing time, our chances continue to go down exponentially. Btw, I gathered more evidence in support of this based on last years trend. There were a few acceptances that were sent out on saturday as well if u notice carefully.

Here's another reinforcement of one of e^jw's earlier insights. From what it seems, it looks like most people in here do seriously fancy their chances - as in, they genuinely believed they were more likely than not be accepted. Allowing for overconfidence corrections, lets cut down the probability estimate for any one of us here to get in to 0.5. Assuming there are even 5 of us like that here, the chance that not one of us here gets in is 1 in 32, and 1 in 1024 if we assume there are 10 of us (for an upper bound, its reasonable to assume that our "getting in" events are independent, cuz in the real case, if one of us gets rejected, the odds for the rest of us should logically increase)

okay, good luck now.

Alright ladies and gentleman... I have some news...

First a disclaimer. I do not want to be responsible for getting anyone's hopes up or giving false information. I found this out by calling MIT EECS Graduate Admissions.

I had a friend (with a different traceable number and gender) call for me so that any backlash from the bad attitude temp they have working the desk doesn't affect my already sketchy chances.

The lady informed her that NOT ALL OF THE ACCEPTANCES HAVE BEEN RELEASED, and that the notification process will be completed (for Computer Science) by the end of the month.

My friend, being quite the clever one, then asked a clarifying question.

Q: "Does this mean that there are still acceptances waiting to go out?"

A: "Yes."

This call was made at 5:05pm on Friday February 16th, 2007.

So there you have it. At this point in the conversation the lady became quite agitated. The office is probably under a lot of stress. If anyone does call again to clarify (and doesn't wish to use their own name), do NOT use the name Quentin Hapsburg. My friend already used that one in this convo.

Best Regards,

Martin

May be it’s over and may be NO.

I think that the best thing we can do right now is forget about this all MIT stuff at least for the weekend (I know that it is more easily said than done) :D.

And if it is over for MIT let's hope that it will work out for the other universities.

I don't know if we should put too much stock in the theory that this year's dates will be the same as last year's. The decision dates are a result of many variables: when the admissions committee happens to meet, what faculty schedules are like, etc. It seems to me that we are likely to see a number of admissions in the upcoming week.

I am actually doubting if any admissions decisions were sent out yet. With MIT being one of the most applied to programs, at least someone on this site would have heard of something by now.

If we can learn anything from the results last year, it is that when the first round of admits goes out, we will see some of them posted on the results board (on this site or elsewhere). I did notice that one person was admitted for EE on 2/14 this year and was notified by phone. Notification by phone doesn't seem to be the norm, so this person may have been notified a little earlier than most people because of some special circumstance. For example by a potential advisor, by someone else that they were corresponding with, or maybe they were an MIT undergrad.

Also, I think that sometimes MIT will wait until results for competitive fellowships (NSF, NDSEG, etc.) are posted before they will offer admission to some candidates (hence the admit at the end of March last year).

I don't know if we should put too much stock in the theory that this year's dates will be the same as last year's. The decision dates are a result of many variables: when the admissions committee happens to meet, what faculty schedules are like, etc. It seems to me that we are likely to see a number of admissions in the upcoming week.

I heard the EE admissions comitee meeting was on Friday the 9th this year. Hopefully, we'll hear something in a couple of days at least because of the Wed(21st) EE visit RSVP requirement they set themselves.

Let's all take our minds off MIT for the time being.

Has anyone heard from any other schools? I've got one informal e-mail from Cornell saying my chances are good, an interview with a prof, and an upcoming interview for a fellowship, but no official decision yet. Also got admitted to my undergrad uni (in Canada). Haven't heard from MIT, Stanford, Princeton, or Illinois.

from the schools in the above post, I only applied to Cornell. Haven't heard anything. I think I got into Ohio State, but I'm not sure, they invited me to visit the university a while ago. I only have an unofficial email from a prof.

Also, I had an interview with a prof from Lehigh and got into my undergrad university.

Apart from these, I applied to northwestern, northeastern, jhu, upenn and rutgers. Probably I'll end up in Ohio. :lol: