Professor Vs. Postdoc LOR

AjjA

I'm in a bit of quandary in regards to my LOR. I have one professor from my school who is willing to write a letter explaining things about my personality but not academic performance ( he doesn't remember me, we were 2000 student in class, yes 2000). The letter he can send is generic for any student. 

On the other hand, I could get a letter from an accomplished postdoc. whom I work with for more than one year. He published three papers as a first author, one of them in science. 

I just want to add (late to the thread, I know) that while I'd go with the post-doc between the two options you listed, getting a post-doc to write you a letter is generally not a great thing, even if they're a very accomplished post-doc.

Is there really no other faculty member who could write for you?

I just want to add (late to the thread, I know) that while I'd go with the post-doc between the two options you listed, getting a post-doc to write you a letter is generally not a great thing, even if they're a very accomplished post-doc.

Is there really no other faculty member who could write for you?

All the faculty I know have nothing to do with research. All of the them are clinicians. Also due to the huge number of students at our school, they write the same letter for everyone without paying attention even to the applicant name. I'm afraid the review committee would contact him to find out the painful truth. It's messed up I know. 

Edited by AjjA

Another choice, an MD/PhD who is now a director of clinical pathology program, he's been mentoring me for couple of years but we haven't had any actual work experience. He is willing to give me a letter similar to this : 

I'm very pleased to write this letter for AjjA who is applying to your PhD program. AjjA received his medical degree from the XXXXX. 

I have known AjjA since his arrival to the US to pursue his graduate education. We kept in close touch where we frequently meet to discuss his academic progression and his future career interest. 

Beside his academics, AjjA has admirable personally traits. He is compassionate, dedicated honest and sincere individual. He is motivated, hard working and dependable person. He shows an interest and commitment to his speciality. His hard work, humble and respectful personality enables him to get along with everyone  and serves well in his pursuit for a career in graduate studies. 

I strongly endorse him to your program and strongly feel that he is an excellent candidate for your program.

Edited by AjjA