dependents on the app

hey guys, 

thoughts on including dependents on the app if youre international. my problem is what if the schools reject me based on the fact that i have dependent that i would be leaving in canada while studying in the us? i know they technically shouldn't. but then they dont really care and they will select applicants they think are the best fit. im worried they might think im not the best fit based on the fact that im kinda a liability...

i dont even know... thoughts? advice?

i dont think its viable to email the programs and explain my situation and ask.. it just seems like something they cant make a quick decision about.. i  might be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Jolie717 said:

They ask about defendants on the apps?  (I obviously haven't gotten far in mine if you can't tell).  I would have thought that they couldn't ask, like in a job interview.  

No they don't ask but my dependants are part of my sop. And now I'm worried that the program might reject me.. :/ 

1 hour ago, Pennsatucky said:

Why would they know you are not bringing them? It sounds like the only one judging you is yourself. 

just mentioning them.. i feel like that puts me in that category of people where they might think the program is too heavy load for someone with kids... it got me thinking after someone mentioned that their ad com member said that if they knew an applicant was pregnant they would reject them...

All I can say is there's 5-6 women in my program with kids. The youngest being 2 year old twins to adults.  Whether they mentioned it or not I don't know. If it's a major part of SOP include it. But if you are really worried about it try not to mention it and talk about other things. I think any school that feels negatively about it isn't one you want. Who knows maybe it would help you stand out a little as someone with a different perspective because you have kids. 

3 hours ago, jpiccolo said:

All I can say is there's 5-6 women in my program with kids. The youngest being 2 year old twins to adults.  Whether they mentioned it or not I don't know. If it's a major part of SOP include it. But if you are really worried about it try not to mention it and talk about other things. I think any school that feels negatively about it isn't one you want. Who knows maybe it would help you stand out a little as someone with a different perspective because you have kids. 

exactly thats why im including it :/ 

thanks for the input though!

4 hours ago, jpiccolo said:

I know there are several non-traditional students with children in my school's grad program.  I asked one tonight, and he said he did include it in his SOP as he felt it was relevant and indicated a level of experience with children he believed was less evident in the 20-somethings.  I asked a (20-something) undergrad classmate of mine tonight with kids, and she is conflicted as well.

That being said, I am applying to schools that may not necessarily have as large of a non-trad student population as my undergrad school.  I did a search and was surprised I didn't find more posts like this on the forum.  I think I will talk with some of my professors and ask their opinion.  Since this is a female-dominated field, I would hope that having children would not detract from an application.

13 hours ago, Jolie717 said:

I know there are several non-traditional students with children in my school's grad program.  I asked one tonight, and he said he did include it in his SOP as he felt it was relevant and indicated a level of experience with children he believed was less evident in the 20-somethings.  I asked a (20-something) undergrad classmate of mine tonight with kids, and she is conflicted as well.

That being said, I am applying to schools that may not necessarily have as large of a non-trad student population as my undergrad school.  I did a search and was surprised I didn't find more posts like this on the forum.  I think I will talk with some of my professors and ask their opinion.  Since this is a female-dominated field, I would hope that having children would not detract from an application.

if you could ask that would be amazing! thank you :)

i really appreciate it, im not sure how and who to ask as i dont know any graduates in the program right now

The reason I decided to pursue a career in SLP is because of my youngest child so that's definitely a big part of my application. Maintaining good grades in my 2nd BA courses should show that I'm capable of handling the grad school workload.

2 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

The reason I decided to pursue a career in SLP is because of my youngest child so that's definitely a big part of my application. Maintaining good grades in my 2nd BA courses should show that I'm capable of handling the grad school workload.

yeah, i guess that should be enough right?

On 23.11.2015 20:47:35, OverCaffeinated said:

just mentioning them.. i feel like that puts me in that category of people where they might think the program is too heavy load for someone with kids... it got me thinking after someone mentioned that their ad com member said that if they knew an applicant was pregnant they would reject them...

Haha that was me with the faculty who said that. But I think it was because she missed a week. Only a week. Lol

31 minutes ago, Jolie717 said:

Yup, SLP programs are definitely intense.  I talked to some more of the undergrads I know with kids and they said they will be mentioning their kids but will make sure it fits in with the question - pretty much like what Crimson Wife said.  

ok, thanks, appreciate the help!

I am a grad student with kids and I didn't even think about not including them in my SOP.  Of course, they were my inspiration for getting a master's degree.  I was told by one person they like admitting "mature students" and parents because they have extra maturity, can relate to faculty, and help other students.  Of course, I didn't even stop to question the flip side!  It is a crazy amount of work to do with kids and I recommend part time or a light practicum load if it works with your program!