Skype Interview

burgundywave

So I just found out that I will be having a skype interview with a POI at Stanford for a PhD in Geophysics. I'm pretty stressed out about it and don't really feel prepared for it. Do you guys have any advice, tips and experience with this kind of interview?

Any help is appreciated!

THX

I had one today for a POI in chemical and biomolecular engineering department at UNL and it was way more relaxed than I expected. I told him what my research interests are, and then he went into detail about each of his projects, and then about the department/program in general. Asked if I had questions before going on to each section, etc. 

it would be good if you could list projects that you thought were really interesting, and why. IE, when he/she asks, tell me about your research interests?, have some specific papers in mind that you really like. They don't have to be his/hers but they should be related and it should be fairly obvious why you want ot work with that POIs. 

4 hours ago, GeoDUDE! said:

it would be good if you could list projects that you thought were really interesting, and why. IE, when he/she asks, tell me about your research interests?, have some specific papers in mind that you really like. They don't have to be his/hers but they should be related and it should be fairly obvious why you want ot work with that POIs. 

Yes, having specific papers to discuss sounds like a good idea. Thanks :)

5 hours ago, lethalallele said:

I had one today for a POI in chemical and biomolecular engineering department at UNL and it was way more relaxed than I expected. I told him what my research interests are, and then he went into detail about each of his projects, and then about the department/program in general. Asked if I had questions before going on to each section, etc. 

Glad to hear that! Hopefully mine will be similar!

Is it really common for people to have interviews before their applications? Or discuss it thoroughly on email?

I've never got even a "do you have any questions about this or that?" on email by any POI. I wonder what's all that about.

I would not say it's "really common". But it's not rare either. For most of my schools, I submitted my application, heard nothing for a few weeks, and then got an email/phone call "congrats, you've been accepted!" or "sorry, there were a lot of highly qualified applicants but....etc"

I had a couple of Skype interviews before submitting my applications. Both were very relaxed conversations, about 30 min. Try to be friendly and excited about your application. We chatted about my motivations for attending grad school, and the POI discussed potential projects I could work on.

As someone else recommended, I would suggest reading a few papers of the POI. Ask about the department, program, how many grad students they have... Pretty typical questions. I interviewed after work and was in business casual attire, which felt appropriate. 

Good luck!

Edited by cobalt27
Spelling

9 hours ago, cobalt27 said:

I had a couple of Skype interviews before submitting my applications. Both were very relaxed conversations, about 30 min. Try to be friendly and excited about your application. We chatted about my motivations for attending grad school, and the POI discussed potential projects I could work on.

As someone else recommended, I would suggest reading a few papers of the POI. Ask about the department, program, how many grad students they have... Pretty typical questions. I interviewed after work and was in business casual attire, which felt appropriate. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! 

My interview was yesterday and I initially thought it went ok. But the more I think about it, the more I think I screwed up. I shouldn't have answered that, I should have mentionned that, etc, etc. Hopefully it wasn't as bad as I remember it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2016 at 10:34 PM, burgundywave said:

Thanks for the advice! 

My interview was yesterday and I initially thought it went ok. But the more I think about it, the more I think I screwed up. I shouldn't have answered that, I should have mentionned that, etc, etc. Hopefully it wasn't as bad as I remember it!

Ugh haha I'm doing the same this weekend after a UC Davis Skype chat on Friday :grimace: