Applying for FinAid

kbui

Besides the FAFSA, is anyone else reluctant to write all the fellowship essays that respective schools require for a chance to get more funding?

I feel like if I write the 7+ fellowship essays, which some also require recommendation letters, and I don't get accepted, I would've wasted so much time. One thing that I might do, if the stars do not align this year, is that if I do get accepted but do not get fellowships or enough funding, I might defer and then apply for fellowships knowing that I'm already accepted.

What do other people feel about applying to fellowships/scholarships when an acceptance is not secured?

I have only applied to department and/or university fellowships which 1) I am clearly eligible for and 2) align with my research interests, regardless of whether I have been admitted. 

There were a couple diversity-oriented fellowships that I applied to because they were part of the initial application process. Since then, I've been invited to apply to fellowship opportunities by programs still reviewing my application and by programs that have already accepted me; however, the focus of the fellowships aren't directly related to my policy interests so I don't want to waste anyone's time by submitting an application just for a shot at additional funding.

Edited by RCtheSS

14 hours ago, kbui said:

One thing that I might do, if the stars do not align this year, is that if I do get accepted but do not get fellowships or enough funding, I might defer and then apply for fellowships knowing that I'm already accepted.

Last year I was in a similar position. I got into my top choice program at JHU but I didn't receive sufficient funding, so I considered deferring. This is basically what their admissions director advised me:

1) Deferring probably won't happen. Schools are extremely reluctant to grant deferrals for anything other that extreme, unforseen circumstances.

2) If you decide you are going to wait a year anyways, you might as well work another year, improve your app, and reapply entirely.

If you get accepted to a school now, chances are you won't do worse with more experience. If anything, you may get better funding offers. You can also apply for fellowships more selectively given your confidence in being re-admitted to a particular school.

@Poli92 Do you think this is the case? I deferred when I got accepted into YSPH, but I also had a Fulbright so maybe that's why they were so ready to have me defer...

I should rethink my plans then if that will be the case for HKS and SIPA.

Edited by kbui

@kbui I would guess that the Fulbright had a lot to do with it. 

Of course your mileage may vary,  but the possibility of not being granted a deferral is something you should keep in mind.