I am going to a private university in Nebraska and I'm in the accelerated degree program, which means I'll be done in March of 2017. I'm currently getting a 4.0 gpa. If everything holds up, I'll graduate with a 4.0 and get on the Dean's Honors List. 

I'm planning on applying to eight graduate schools, three of which are Ivies. I called each grad school and asked if there was a set amount of experience to get into their program and they all replied with no. They said they mostly look at the parts of your application that are your personal statement and your GPA and GRE scores.  

I am majoring in Child Protection and Juvenile Justice so my masters will be in social work, but I'm unsure of what to do to boost my application so I have a shot of at least trying to get in. I will have work experience by the time I apply and I'll try to gain as much knowledge as I can. 

I'm planning on applying to UPenn, Columbia, and Yale. I know they're very selective but what do you think I can do to make myself a better candidate?  

Thanks for the help guys. :)

14 hours ago, emylauren2794 said:

I am going to a private university in Nebraska and I'm in the accelerated degree program, which means I'll be done in March of 2017. I'm currently getting a 4.0 gpa. If everything holds up, I'll graduate with a 4.0 and get on the Dean's Honors List. 

I'm planning on applying to eight graduate schools, three of which are Ivies. I called each grad school and asked if there was a set amount of experience to get into their program and they all replied with no. They said they mostly look at the parts of your application that are your personal statement and your GPA and GRE scores.  

I am majoring in Child Protection and Juvenile Justice so my masters will be in social work, but I'm unsure of what to do to boost my application so I have a shot of at least trying to get in. I will have work experience by the time I apply and I'll try to gain as much knowledge as I can. 

I'm planning on applying to UPenn, Columbia, and Yale. I know they're very selective but what do you think I can do to make myself a better candidate?  

Thanks for the help guys. :)

First of all, I don't think Yale has an MSW program?

MSW programs are not very selective. I think Columbia accepts something like over 70% of the applicants. You shouldn't have a hard time getting in anywhere. The more experience you have volunteering is great, so if you have a chance to do a volunteering placement over the summer that connects with social work, that would be beneficial. Other than that, don't worry about it. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that Columbia and UPenn offer very little scholarship money for their MSW programs. I ended up not applying to either because I knew I couldn't afford to go. You can see the ones I applied to in my signature.

Good luck! You'll do fine.

MSWs, compared to, say, a PhD program, are not that selective, especially the more expensive privates. However, personal statement and experience are very important from what I know. GRE scores mean very little.

10 hours ago, tudor3x8 said:

I am fairly sure Yale does not have an MSW program. They do have a post-MSW program for fellowships.

MSWs, compared to, say, a PhD program, are not that selective, especially the more expensive privates. However, personal statement and experience are very important from what I know. GRE scores mean very little.

Their program would be masters in social and behavioral sciences.

• 2 weeks later...

Many school's websites have class profile information that shows the acceptance rates, GPA, and other stats.  I applied for the 2010 MSW season and at that time there were huge amounts of people going back to school and the acceptance rate was a lot lower than it is now.  In you personal statement show that you know what you are getting yourself into, that you have overcome adversity, you understand policy, and that you will be a great addition to our community.  I would go to a highly ranked MSW program that will best holistically meet your needs so that you can get what you need and have a leg up by the name. 

The ivies aren't really known for their social justice programs: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/social-work-rankings