What are the consequences of early termination of a Fulbright Masters grant?

Nighlander

I've been awarded a small Fulbright grant from the portuguese commission to do a Masters program in the US that I shall arrive at in 2 weeks.

The remaining costs of the whole program have to be supported by me, coming from a middle/low-income family that can't even support me (or understand what grad school is). I've booked a trip and housing for the beginning, but I'm not sure I can invest in so much debt as to what is needed to finish the program. It is a very practical masters program though, to which just being exposed to is very valuable, even if only for one or two semesters and I don't want to lose that chance. What happens with the Fulbright Comission if I have to drop out halfway, while technically having the funds, but not being willing to end up in that much debt, only to come back to Portugal for 2 years and having no means of repaying it, compromising my financial independence for 20 years for 2 years of grad school?

Anyone had a similar experience/background?

Thanks!

Edited by Nighlander
Typo

The consequences for early termination should be spelled out in the agreement you signed from the Fulbright Commission. Have you checked all of the documents they've given you to see what they say?

I know people leave Fulbrights for medical reasons (physical/mental health complications) but I don't know anyone who went into planning to possibly leave early. It think if it is a medical reason, you're fine, but if you are doing it for monetary reasons, then that'll be different. You should consider talking to them about the grant / finances issues.