Gates Cambridge 2017-2018

gowes93

3 minutes ago, Gradhop said:

Hi, I also emailed by department sometime in January.  They told me that they were not allowed to tell me if I had been put forward for the Gates as "ultimately the decision lies with the University". I too, did not know what they meant by this but I decided to let it go.

We're now in March after all, so the grueling wait is almost over.  Best of luck to you and to us all.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I remember seeing someone in this thread mentioning something about receiving a written message from the department regarding the interview outcome and being nominated for the scholarship, so I assumed that the department would tell us if we had been nominated...I guess maybe different departments may have different ways of doing this. I also think the best way is to let it go! Hope for the best and goof luck to you too!:)

1 hour ago, Lele2017 said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. I remember seeing someone in this thread mentioning something about receiving a written message from the department regarding the interview outcome and being nominated for the scholarship, so I assumed that the department would tell us if we had been nominated...I guess maybe different departments may have different ways of doing this. I also think the best way is to let it go! Hope for the best and goof luck to you too!:)

Hi just to clarify I was told that I was going to be 'put forward' and not confirmed that I have been nominated. Anyway we'll know soon and good luck to you :)

Edited by akh276

9 minutes ago, keti said:

Gates Cambridge Scholarship interview. I was admitted in December and my department didn't require an interview. 

Congratulations! I'll be hoping for an email in the next days then... It's going to be painful.

1 hour ago, keti said:

Hello! Be expecting interview invites soon! Got mine this morning (social sciences). 

Ah Congratulations! Good luck with the interview!

I assume all successful candidates within the social sciences would have been notified around the same time.  If that's the case, then I guess I did not make it but at least the wait is finally over. Fingers crossed for the rest of ya!!

Edited by Gradhop

1 hour ago, Gradhop said:

Ah Congratulations! Good luck with the interview!

I assume all successful candidates within the social sciences would have been notified around the same time.  If that's the case, then I guess I did not make it but at least the wait is finally over. Fingers crossed for the rest of ya!!

Hopes up! They may notify us separately – per department or per country, let's say.
Fingers crossed and think positively for a few days more!

7 minutes ago, Thaís Carlo said:

Hopes up! They may notify us separately – per department or per country, let's say.
Fingers crossed and think positively for a few days more!

Let's hope. But it's the weekend now so I don't think we're going to see anything... :( trying not to take this as a rejection 

11 hours ago, kaightconhead said:

I checked last years thread and it seems like the interview invites were spread over a few days. Hopefully this could mean something good for a few of us? 

How many days of offers based on your research? Did you see a pattern?

1 hour ago, luiswel said:

How many days of offers based on your research? Did you see a pattern?

The Americans were notified on December 13th and 15th and the internationals on feb 27th and 28th (Thursday and Friday from my memory) ... No pattern detected. Not keeping my hopes up but I guess it's not over until it's over 

37 minutes ago, kaightconhead said:

The Americans were notified on December 13th and 15th and the internationals on feb 27th and 28th (Thursday and Friday from my memory) ... No pattern detected. Not keeping my hopes up but I guess it's not over until it's over 

That's the right attitude! Let's hope for Friday and Monday this year! 

1 hour ago, luiswel said:

That's the right attitude! Let's hope for Friday and Monday this year! 

I was asked to reply by Monday whether I would like to accept to be interviewed, so there very well might be a wave of emails on Monday. Fingers crossed for all of you! :) 

Just going out here on an optimistic limb. I have an inkling that emails are split between PhD and MPhil candidates. So far, all the invitees I've seen seem to be doing a degree that leads to a doctorate (  @keti  and @gradapp2048  might just prove me wrong though as I am unaware of their degree status). 

Also, if all those shortlisted are PhD candidates then those who fail to respond by Monday, directly affect the number of MPhil candidates that the Gates can sponsor.

Just a thought as I linger in this limbo of whether Cambridge will be more than just a dream for me or a reality come October ?

UPDATE :

Theory debunked by MPhil applicant on results page who received a Gates' email on Friday.

Edited by Gradhop

10 hours ago, Gradhop said:

Just going out here on an optimistic limb. I have an inkling that emails are split between PhD and MPhil candidates. So far, all the invitees I've seen seem to be doing a degree that leads to a doctorate (  @keti  and @gradapp2048  might just prove me wrong though as I am unaware of their degree status). 

Also, if all those shortlisted are PhD candidates then those who fail to respond by Monday, directly affect the number of MPhil candidates that the Gates can sponsor.

Just a thought as I linger in this limbo of whether Cambridge will be more than just a dream for me or a reality come October ?

UPDATE :

Theory debunked by MPhil applicant on results page who received a Gates' email on Friday.

Stay strong. A) It's not over. B ) Gates is not the only way of getting into Cambridge

34 minutes ago, capplicant said:

Congrats! So they send invitations also after 4pm?

Yeah, someone said they got one at 6pm on Friday. 

I I am going to assume it's over for me then. Good luck to all interviewing! 

9 minutes ago, kaightconhead said:

Yeah, someone said they got one at 6pm on Friday. 

I I am going to assume it's over for me then. Good luck to all interviewing! 

Don't despair, a guy from the TSR forum called the Gates Trust and they said they will send invitations until next Monday.