Gates Cambridge 2017-2018

gowes93

For those that have gotten a gates interview invite, did you get a college membership first?

I only got accepted by my college today.

Edited by mechbuster

6 hours ago, mechbuster said:

For those that have gotten a gates interview invite, did you get a college membership first?

Yes, my college membership was sorted in December itself but I don't think being accepted into a college has any bearing on how they process your Gates application.

On 3/8/2017 at 7:53 AM, mechbuster said:

I still don't have a college selection so it seems to be irrelevant? What college did you get?

On 3/7/2017 at 11:44 AM, Gradhop said:

What panel btw? @luiswel

Physical sciences

Anyone knows how many panels there are?

2 minutes ago, luiswel said:

I still don't have a college selection so it seems to be irrelevant? What college did you get?

Physical sciences

Anyone knows how many panels there are?

There are 4 - Arts, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences and Social Sciences.

30 minutes ago, luiswel said:

I got Jesus College. Still looking forward to an interview invite.

Anyone got any more invites this week?

Edited by mechbuster

2 hours ago, akh276 said:

There are 4 - Arts, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences and Social Sciences.

4 panels, 25 interviews per panel, that is 100 potential scholars. There are 54 positions so it comes to 50/50 odds. May the odds be ever in our favour. Regardless a great accomplishment for those interviewed and let's stick together and hope for the best. <3

Thanks @avril3 for your response.

Let me remind you and others that departmental nomination does not ensure being invited for an interview. Nominated students undergo another whetting process. In all, 250, are nominated by various departments, as per the website, but only 110 make it to the interview. This choice is made by a committee of gates officials. The numbers are different for American students, and I'm talking about the rest here (Round 2).

Ditto! At last the wait is finally over! Well done to everyone. Don't feel too down about the rejection. I have followed the stories of some  Gates Scholars/alums and discovered that they didn't even get shortlisted the first time they applied! I think if we're all  good enough to get into Cambridge - one of the best institutions in the world - then we're equally good enough to go out and do some great things in the world. 

Good luck to everyone here who got an invite.  I'm rooting for you all!

2 hours ago, Gradhop said:

Ditto! At last the wait is finally over! Well done to everyone. Don't feel too down about the rejection. I have followed the stories of some  Gates Scholars/alums and discovered that they didn't even get shortlisted the first time they applied! I think if we're all  good enough to get into Cambridge - one of the best institutions in the world - then we're equally good enough to go out and do some great things in the world. 

Good luck to everyone here who got an invite.  I'm rooting for you all!

Good luck to everyone and I think you will be great. My understanding is that people shortlisted for gates are first in line for other awards. 
If I may, what does the email say? 

2 minutes ago, luiswel said:

Good luck to everyone and I think you will be great. My understanding is that people shortlisted for gates are first in line for other awards. 
If I may, what does the email say? 

The funding bodies are completely independent so being rejected from Gates does not mean you're advantaged for other awards, unfortunately.

The email is a generic rejection mentioning they had a lot of applications and they had to make hard decisions.

The rejection e-mail – at least as I see it – doesn't even mean we have been shortlisted. They probably have sent it to all the applicants. Also, as @capplicant just said, the funding bodies work independently.

I was reading about the Cambridge Trust again and I just realised they take the candidate's financial situation seriously into consideration. This alone distinguishes this selection process from Gates'. Good luck for us all, keep your fingers crossed! And please let us know as soon as you start to hear from other funding bodies (we have from late march to july, it will be a tough ride).

Edited by Thaís Carlo

@Thaís Carlo Actually not all Trust Scholarships take into consideration the candidate's financial situation. The Vice Chancellor and International Scholarship (fully funded + stipend for PhD) are only based on merit, and given to the highest ranked applicants across the entire university. You can see this here. And about 120 of those have already been offered this year, you can see the list here. But there are some other postgraduate scholarships, who are maybe not fully funded that look at applicants' financial conditions. You can read more about that here and here

Goodluck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gradapp2048 said:

Does anyone know how many days after all interviews have been conducted we can expect to hear back? 

Extremely fast. This might be one of fastest turn around times there are--it might be slightly longer for international. For USA, interviews were on the 1/27 and 1/28 and decisions were announced 4-5 days later on 2/1. Since you guys interviewed in the middle of the week, 4-5 days would mean this weekend (which I doubt), so maybe next week at the latest? It seems the year before (2016-17) there were announced within 1-2 days and my friend from Peru interviewed in 2015-16 application year and he was told within a few days IIRC. It might be possible you find out in a day or so.

14 hours ago, gradapp2048 said:

Does anyone know how many days after all interviews have been conducted we can expect to hear back? 

I asked while leaving and was told the first email would go out by Friday and the second one on Monday.

3 hours ago, akh276 said:

I asked while leaving and was told the first email would go out by Friday and the second one on Monday.

Great to know. Are these 2 rounds of acceptances? Monday cohort to fill in spots that were declined? 

Edited by gradapp2048