Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

Well, the deadline for a lot of things is April 5th. If people don't accept before then for a lot of programs, they'll find alternates around that time it seems. For Mandarin however, if anyone is waiting on that, the deadline to accept the scholarship (requires submitting three different things) by close of business today the 15th. So alternates for Mandarin may get news in a few days.

they told the CLSChinese recipients that we had to have our documentation in by the 15th or we wouldn't get a visa from the school, so unless they are just pushing first rounders to accept and they actually can get it on shorter notice or they intend to have Mandarin alternates apply for tourist visas... I dunno how they intend to get in alternates. 

New laws in China this time last year make it take 2-3 weeks longer to get the host school letter of invitation+PSB approval that is now required for everything but a tourist visa. It DOES take longer these days... but I am not on the inside of that whole system so can't say what they are doing with the three weeks earlier deadline for Mandarin. Mebe its to give alternates a chance to get a visa by a hair's breadth...

deadline is 3 weeks earlier... takes three weeks longer to get approval... yeah, that's makes sense... 

edit: The decline option on CLS accepted student portal has disappeared (it was still an option even you had submitted acceptance until just recently) so there should be some notifications of some sort for a few alternates. The first chance to accept for Chinese at least lapsed at 5PM EST today.

Edited by UnawareInGeneral

Yeah I was only wondering since my email said that finalists had to let them know by the 15th. I am for Korean so I don't know if this date is different for others, however. Thanks for the info Unaware!

I'm an alternate for Arabic, so inshallah we'll be getting a tad more guidance from CLS on what the next steps are for us. I just don't want to be taken by surprise by any paperwork/deadlines!

Edited by Aziiza

Hi guys! I'm an alternate for Turkish - keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade. I emailed CLS and they said they are still working on the first round of notifications for alternates. Few more days probably.

Congrats to all the finalists so far~

Did any other alternates just get the email from CLS, "Alumni Resource Directories Correction," but not the original email it is apologizing for? lol

(But seriously, curious if any other alternates got this email. I assume the finalists did?)

9 minutes ago, jennymerri said:

Did any other alternates just get the email from CLS, "Alumni Resource Directories Correction," but not the original email it is apologizing for? lol

(But seriously, curious if any other alternates got this email. I assume the finalists did?)

Finalists received an alumnus information email yes, and the follow up that apologizes for the accidentally included extra portions. Odd that the alternates got the apology but not the initial email.... dunno what that says about the way they manage their communications, if it says anything at all. Weird though. 

2 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Finalists received an alumnus information email yes, and the follow up that apologizes for the accidentally included extra portions. Odd that the alternates got the apology but not the initial email.... dunno what that says about the way they manage their communications, if it says anything at all. Weird though. 

Definitely weird. Figured you guys had gotten both emails. I was hoping this meant my address got put into a new email group list (updated list of finalists with bumped alternates?) but I didn't wanna speculate too much for fear of reading too much into it. It's probably an error as you said.

1 hour ago, jennymerri said:

Yep, I'm an alternate who got the same email apologizing for the error (but not the email containing the error).

Kind of a cruel way to play with my heart, CLS. I'm sure it was just a mistake though.

Does anyone know when/if we will get our results from the pre-program OPI testing? I just took mine for Arabic this morning but when I checked the FAQ it didn't say anything about us receiving a pre-program score, just a post-program one?

1 hour ago, screel45 said:

Does anyone know when/if we will get our results from the pre-program OPI testing? I just took mine for Arabic this morning but when I checked the FAQ it didn't say anything about us receiving a pre-program score, just a post-program one?

You find out post program. They'll tell you both scores then.

41 minutes ago, 3sparky said:

Have any alternates heard anything back? Or does anyone know when we should expect to hear something?

I haven't heard anything yet. I emailed CLS yesterday but they didn't give any helpful info.

17 minutes ago, jennymerri said:

I haven't heard anything yet. I emailed CLS yesterday but they didn't give any helpful info.

People have been bumped up for Korean and Turkish (in Azerbaijan) so far. Other languages from what I know have not. Some of these were as early as the 22nd. So it's really as soon as someone declines.

Edited by hobakie

30 minutes ago, hobakie said:

People have been bumped up for Korean and Turkish (in Azerbaijan) so far. Other languages from what I know have not. Some of these were as early as the 22nd. So it's really as soon as someone declines.

Bummer, I am waiting on Turkish. I applied for intermediate though, and I feel like it's a lot of beginners who get bumped? Maybe it's just me? Trying to remain hopeful.

Edit: Thanks for the new info!

Edited by jennymerri

4 hours ago, hobakie said:

Was there a round of bump ups like they have done in the past where they send out multiple emails all at once? I'm an alternate for Korean so I guess it's case by case now. Thanks for the info hobakie!

2 hours ago, Ganny said:

Was there a round of bump ups like they have done in the past where they send out multiple emails all at once? I'm an alternate for Korean so I guess it's case by case now. Thanks for the info hobakie!

Its always been case by case I thought. But someone who got accepted to korean told me several Korean alternates were bumped.

14 hours ago, hobakie said:

Its always been case by case I thought. But someone who got accepted to korean told me several Korean alternates were bumped.

Thanks for the information! I am still hoping, but at this point it will probably be some weird circumstance that may cause someone to decline.

Alternates, don't lose hope, I'm in the process of finalizing my medical forms and I can attest as to my experience last year that accepted students withdraw or are unable to complete their forms for a myriad of reasons. It's a lot of information, and sometimes through the process you realize the program isn't right for your situation or things don't line up correctly. You can never tell what might happen, which is why there's no official date for alternates being bumped up -- it happens as it happens.

Hey everyone, I'm a Russian Intermediate CLS finalist for 2017. I've been really overwhelmed with various university and travel stuff over the past 3 weeks and I made a dumb mistake filling out the post-acceptance forms (I forgot to send my official transcript until the morning after the hard deadline). I've been told that my application is going to go "back into review", and I really have no idea what to expect, as I've never done any program at the level of seriousness as the CLS. I've done all I can to make it up. Does anyone have any experience with this, or know what to expect? I don't feel like this is the sort of thing that eliminate me from the program, but I'm still semi-worried. 

Thanks.