Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

I'm not going to worry about it. I have this internship, with Canon. As much as I want CLS, I have to notify the internship by Tomorrow. For anyone who has experience with this, are you allowed to rescind your commitment for a program/internship without being penalized? 

I really want to receive the CLS now, mostly just to meet you all. I've done summer language intensives before, but I think that the applicant pool the CLS draws would make for a really interesting and dedicated cohort. 

Anyway, I'm sending out lots of positive thoughts today for all of you and our collective chances! I know it's stressful right now for a lot of us, but we just have to keep moving forward. All of you have to be pretty amazing to have gotten this far. Try to remember that, if you can, because this won't be your last opportunity, I'm sure. Remember to be kind to yourself, if you're able!

11 hours ago, Rachael said:

Anyone else applying for Persian? If so, what level? 

I am a semi finalist for advanced Persian. It's good to hear from someone else applying for the Persian/Tajikistan CLS program.

What level have you applied for?

!سلام

This will be my fifth semester of Persian, so high-intermediate/advanced. What about you? Also, are you a grad student or undergrad, and what's your field? 

I hope we get good news soon! 

1 hour ago, Rachael said:

!سلام

This will be my fifth semester of Persian, so high-intermediate/advanced. What about you? Also, are you a grad student or undergrad, and what's your field? 

I hope we get good news soon! 

Salam! We are probably in the same proficiency category. I'm a grad student studying Persian since 2010 but mostly informally with private tutors while living in the Middle East.

4 hours ago, RoscoeRaven96 said:

I'm not going to worry about it. I have this internship, with Canon. As much as I want CLS, I have to notify the internship by Tomorrow. For anyone who has experience with this, are you allowed to rescind your commitment for a program/internship without being penalized? 

Usually if it's within the first 1 to 2 weeks of accepting you can. Over that would be a hassle for them. I have a feeling this week may be the week just because any longer would be almost detrimental at this point since they have to start preparing visa paperwork and enrollment into the universities for the summer. For some countries I know the process is extensive and long (China?)

Ask if you can get a few days extension. Also if you do plan on declining and want to apply again in the future I would just write a short but nice letter/email stating you are appreciative of the opportunity ,but CLS is more in line with your goals however you do look forward to applying again in the future etc etc. Something to that extent.

Edited by hobakie

56 minutes ago, فارسى said:

Salam! We are probably in the same proficiency category. I'm a grad student studying Persian since 2010 but mostly informally with private tutors while living in the Middle East.

Nice! I'm also a grad student. I'll post on here again whenever we get the news -- if everything works out, we could very well be in the same class in Tajikistan :) 

43 minutes ago, ImagineHagens said:

If it makes any of you feel better, I found this job posting https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/index.php?%2Fjob%2Fapply&clientkey=58AA089E0E2C786B7FE4217373F3BCBD&job=2340&jpt 

so maybe they've just been understaffed lol

? Its not just the program, the entire state department is understaffed. Many people quit because of the new administration so it's understandable that there are major delays.

That and from what I understand they are just being held kind of in a limbo because there are too many major changes going on without an actual plan for the repercussions. Its sad honestly, I hope these programs continue to get funded, more than ever we need to strengthen ties with foreign countries who are just as unsure about our administration as we are. But that's a completely different conversation?

Edited by hobakie

Finalist for Persian! AHHHHHHHH! :D

I'm sorry to those of you who weren't selected. This was my second time applying -- my application was MUCH stronger this year. Definitely don't get your hopes up, and do, try, try again! 

Hey everyone,

Really appreciated reading your thoughts throughout this process.

I was selected as an alternate for Arabic. Does anyone have any information about how alternate selection works or how likely it is to be accepted? Or is the whole thing just a crapshoot from this point on?

Thanks! And congrats to finalists!

1 hour ago, calpal said:

Hey everyone,

Really appreciated reading your thoughts throughout this process.

I was selected as an alternate for Arabic. Does anyone have any information about how alternate selection works or how likely it is to be accepted? Or is the whole thing just a crapshoot from this point on?

Thanks! And congrats to finalists!

So the alternate selection process works in this manner. 

Since you are an alternate for Arabic, (and the level you applied for matters too), they basically chose you as an alternate and lined you up behind someone or someones who applied for both Arabic and at the same level as you. They also look to replace people of similar backgrounds. Diversity is the buzz word that sums it up best I suppose. Someone like you in certain ways. 

If one of those people drops out, the ones you are lined up behind, they'll reach out to the alternates.

Edited by UnawareInGeneral

2 hours ago, mrs12 said:

Finalist for Advanced Turkish!

I second Rachael! I applied twice before I even made it to the semi-finals. Don't lose hope.

Congratulations mrs12, I read some of your posts from previous years when I was browsing the boards to understand the scholarship better and I know it's been a process for you in many many ways. I'm glad to see you got it!

19 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

So the alternate selection process works in this manner. 

Since you are an alternate for Arabic, (and the level you applied for matters too), they basically chose you as an alternate and lined you up behind someone or someones who applied for both Arabic and at the same level as you. They also look to replace people of similar backgrounds. Diversity is the buzz word that sums it up best I suppose. Someone like you in certain ways. 

If one of those people drops out, the ones you are lined up behind, they'll reach out to the alternates.

Congratulations on acceptance @UnawareInGeneral and alternate @calpal!

I'm an alternate for advanced chinese. It was expected though since I previously did the program and am in the middle of applying for another state department fellowship (fulbright)

But this isn't exactly how it works. There isn't a ranking behind alternates its mostly up to the program site you are in. If people in your site drop, you may or may not be offered a spot simple as that. They aren't filling any quotas or replacing with similiar people. In fact that wouldn't make since because they number of advanced learners is always smaller than the beginning and that's just because more beginners apply and get selected! If a beginner in your program site dropped, an advanced person for that site can be bumped up and vice versa. From what I know for certain languages the chances of getting bumped up are high. These are usually the ones that have multiple program sites. For language where there is only one site however it seems more iffy because the people who get it are sure they want it.

19 minutes ago, hobakie said:

Congratulations on acceptance @UnawareInGeneral and alternate @calpal!

I'm an alternate for advanced chinese. It was expected though since I previously did the program and am in the middle of applying for another state department fellowship (fulbright)

But this isn't exactly how it works. There isn't a ranking behind alternates its mostly up to the program site you are in. If people in your site drop, you may or may not be offered a spot simple as that. They aren't filling any quotas or replacing with similiar people. In fact that wouldn't make since because they number of advanced learners is always smaller than the beginning and that's just because more beginners apply and get selected! If a beginner in your program site dropped, an advanced person for that site can be bumped up and vice versa. From what I know for certain languages the chances of getting bumped up are high. These are usually the ones that have multiple program sites. For language where there is only one site however it seems more iffy because the people who get it are sure they want it.

Well it is how it was explained to me by the organization that makes the decisions.... sooo.... as far as I know, that's the process. I asked about a month ago, this was the explanation I got. 

Thank you, @UnawareInGeneral! It has been a process, and I'm happy to finally be attending CLS this summer. :3

As far as alternates, I, too, was told the same thing as Unaware last year. That they do a sort of matching algorithm to maintain the overall diversity of the cohort -- and that it's kind of random in that sense. It could be based on level, or background, or area of study, or anything. In a sense you have more likelihood of being taken off the wait list because it's not based on a ranked list, but it's also very iffy. That said, especially for Arabic, I've seen in the past that there are a lot of people getting in off the waitlist. Even people who intend to go might not pass the medical part of accepting, or an emergency could come up, or they may change plans, or receive another amazing offer elsewhere. They could even be assigned to a site that their family isn't comfortable with, or they're not comfortable with, etc. People drop out for many reasons, so being an alternate is not a death sentence by any means. 

If you don't have to commit elsewhere, hang in there! I've heard of alternates being selected up to the week before the program starts. (Ideally it's way before that, but just as a reference!)