Critical Language Scholarship - 2017 Cycle

mrs12

2 hours ago, bbuddhab1213 said:

I actually feel like it'd be early March for some reason

That would be outside the norm for the amount of time it takes to get results. Even during the years when semi finalist notifications came out late, the time after that stays pretty consistent. If it goes into March that will be longer than usual, but nothing is impossible. I know literally nothing about funding for these programs, when it set aside, how it is determined, and who sets the priorities for when/who/why scholarships are handed out. I tried to learn more about that but every link takes you to some sort of public relations type explanation of the program(s) that tells you basically nothing in 1000 words or more. 

1 hour ago, bbuddhab1213 said:

Well, I guess since this is the last full week of February, it could be this week? Otherwise they'd be late. I'll call next Tuesday if we don't hear anything :)

Well it would certainly be nice to know this week. It has a big impact on whether or not I take a summer course to finish my masters or I have to cram in a directed study between spring and CLS to achieve the same end. 

On 2/20/2017 at 10:43 AM, mrs12 said:

This week is pretty likely.

And I empathize with you, @UnawareInGeneral, these things always seem to be staggered unequally with other hugely important decisions and deadlines. 

ive looked back at my notification from 2015 and it was thursday feb. 26th so I would guess today or tomorrow if they want to stick with the late feb deadline.

@hobakie, what time did your notification go out in 2015? Mine came at around 4 PM EST last year.

And also, has anyone else tried to log into the CLS portal? I'm getting some weird results on there, and I wonder if that means it's been updated for the latest finalists? Particularly when I look at the CLS Accepted Students Portal, which has always been there for me because I was previously accepted, the little blurb at the top has now changed. 

@mrs12 there doesn't seem to be much of a change in the login page for me. I've never applied before however, so I don't know anything about what an accepted Student page would look like after they release results. 

Well, I say nothing has changed. I had not logged into that thing since submitting the application in early November so... maybe I just don't remember. 

2 hours ago, mrs12 said:

@hobakie, what time did your notification go out in 2015? Mine came at around 4 PM EST last year.

And also, has anyone else tried to log into the CLS portal? I'm getting some weird results on there, and I wonder if that means it's been updated for the latest finalists? Particularly when I look at the CLS Accepted Students Portal, which has always been there for me because I was previously accepted, the little blurb at the top has now changed. 

I got it at 2:48pm

Just now, saltpeep said:

I think they updated their site: "Applicants will be notified of final decisions about their selection by early March, 2017. "

http://www.clscholarship.org/faqs

@saltpeep It was in the emails they sent us that said late February. I see the spot you are talking about, it has always said Early March there. 

3 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

@saltpeep It was in the emails they sent us that said late February. I see the spot you are talking about, it has always said Early March there. 

Oh, ok. I guess the email has more weight. I guess I will have either a very sad or happy birthday...:unsure:

2 hours ago, mrs12 said:

I don't have the accepted students portal this year since I received it the year before. 

I couldn't wait so I called the office....they said the decisions will be released any time between the "End of Feb. and the beginning of March".  It was definitely the "official" statement and the person was not giving me any hints.  Based on the timeline of past years it seems like we should be notified this week but the official statement makes it seem like it could easily be next week (fingers crossed for this week though!!!!!!)

Dunno why it should go into mid-march, they got the first round notifications out on time, taking weeks longer than normal is confusing. I suppose it's just three working days shy of late February being BS though. 

Edited by UnawareInGeneral

I seriously doubt that they will go into mid-March. They have no precedent for doing so -- it seems that in past years, the latest they've notified is Feb 25 -- and in their email, it did say "at the end of February." 

Also, I'm really frustrated that it's taking so long because I need to respond to an internship offer, and my response is contingent on CLS.

4 minutes ago, lishutochka said:

I seriously doubt that they will go into mid-March. They have no precedent for doing so -- it seems that in past years, the latest they've notified is Feb 25 -- and in their email, it did say "at the end of February." 

Also, I'm really frustrated that it's taking so long because I need to respond to an internship offer, and my response is contingent on CLS.

Eh well last year or 2015, one of the two, it went well into March actually. But those folks didn't get first round notifications until early February, so it made sense that the second stage would take x amount of time longer. But we heard on what, Jan 18? 

I just can't see it going that far unless they are down to one person at State slowly working through every single application.