Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
vvl

Teacher's College 2017 Entry

265 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone attending the admitted student day next week? I'm a little upset that they let us know so late and won't subsidize the cost of transportation! Wondering whether it would be worth the $600 to fly out. 

Edited by smcg92

I was admitted to the Mathematics, Science and Technology department. I am also interested in education policy and social analysis. Anyone that currently attends TC (or anyone who knows), is it possible to switch programs after enrolling? If so, what additional documentation is required? Is it possible to pursue both programs?

Hello Guys 

Is it worth studying at teachers for M.Ed Education Policy for an International Student?  I want to work for nonprofit/consulting firms.  I applied for masters in education after teach for India.  But, now I am getting double minded.

got in Columbia teachers, NYU Steinhardt( Stem program), UPenn School of education international development/education policy.

No aid from any school other than UPenn (5k with assistantship)

I will be grateful if you could help if I should go ahead. 

Hi guys, is anyone from the IED program going for admitted students day. Would love to hear your thoughts on it!

I signed up and will try to go..

On 07/04/2017 at 1:25 AM, Happyleaves said:

I signed up and will try to go..

Any thoughts? How was your experience?

Is anyone else on the fence about choosing Teachers College? I went to the events this weekend for admitted students and had a great experience. I have no complaints about the school or the program, and I was impressed with the caliber of the academic presentations I saw on Saturday. The only thing that is holding me back is the cost. I've narrowed it down to Teachers College and Boston University. I estimate that if I go to TC I will go about $35,000 further in debt (on top of my current student loans), and if I go to BU I will have to take out about $8,000 in loans. I see this as a major difference, but I also know that if the financial package at BU were not as good, I would probably not even be seriously considering it as an option. I'm aware that for an MA in TESOL, a prestigious degree isn't needed, but I'm trying to think ahead to a potential PhD in the future. Anyone else having similar thoughts?

On 4/2/2017 at 0:11 AM, ed_applicant said:

I was admitted to the Mathematics, Science and Technology department. I am also interested in education policy and social analysis. Anyone that currently attends TC (or anyone who knows), is it possible to switch programs after enrolling? If so, what additional documentation is required? Is it possible to pursue both programs?

I'm also interested in knowing about the possibility of switching programs at TC. I just sent in my deposit. Does anyone know?

13 hours ago, yellow1963 said:

I'm also interested in knowing about the possibility of switching programs at TC. I just sent in my deposit. Does anyone know?

I asked this question to the professors from my department during Admitted Student Day and they said that it is possible. They told me that there is a change of program form that has to be filled out and a fee that must be paid. However, you have no guarantee of acceptance (it's sort of like re-applying but a little easier)

Has anyone received an admissions notification for school psychology? Either admitted or rejected? Thanks!

Accepted to Instructional Technology & Media.

Accepted to the MA in Curriculum and Teaching program. I was selecting my courses and I realised that most of the classes are taught by the post grad students and the faculty mentioned on the website for my program is only taking EdD students. Is this really the case or am I just overthinking? I would really like some feedback from current students on this matter!

Posted (edited)

On 5/16/2017 at 9:53 AM, Gradstud2017 said:

Accepted to the MA in Curriculum and Teaching program. I was selecting my courses and I realised that most of the classes are taught by the post grad students and the faculty mentioned on the website for my program is only taking EdD students. Is this really the case or am I just overthinking? I would really like some feedback from current students on this matter!

Well, since no one has answered, I'll share my two cents.  Note: I'm not in C&T; my department is significantly smaller than yours.  Professors have taught all but two of my classes (the guy who taught those two classes is now a full-time instructor--he was finishing his dissertation when he taught us last year).  

TC is very expensive and can be stingy with financial aid.  Personally, I'd have a hard time paying that kind of money for fellow grad students to teach me.  This may be secondary, but one concern I'd have would be recommendations after graduation.  I suppose all of your recs would come from grad students and not established professors??  

One thing you should do is email the masters advisor and ask him/her to get you in contact with a couple of MA candidates.  Talk to them about their experiences.  That's what I did prior to entry; the tips I got were invaluable.

ETA: Just as an FYI, C&T didn't always rely on grad students to teach (I'm shocked to hear that's common now).  When my mom was a student there, she only had professors.     

Edited by Chai_latte

21 hours ago, Chai_latte said:

Well, since no one has answered, I'll share my two cents.  Note: I'm not in C&T; my department is significantly smaller than yours.  Professors have taught all but two of my classes (the guy who taught those two classes is now a full-time instructor--he was finishing his dissertation when he taught us last year).  

TC is very expensive and can be stingy with financial aid.  Personally, I'd have a hard time paying that kind of money for fellow grad students to teach me.  This may be secondary, but one concern I'd have would be recommendations after graduation.  I suppose all of your recs would come from grad students and not established professors??  

One thing you should do is email the masters advisor and ask him/her to get you in contact with a couple of MA candidates.  Talk to them about their experiences.  That's what I did prior to entry; the tips I got were invaluable.

ETA: Just as an FYI, C&T didn't always rely on grad students to teach (I'm shocked to hear that's common now).  When my mom was a student there, she only had professors.     

Heyy, 

Thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it. So, I spoke to an Ed.M alumnus from my program and he spoke really highly of the program and said it is veryy well taught. He said it was a mixture of grad students and professors and that was something normal. So I guess its all going to be about taking a risk now lol