Applying for Fall 2017

PhDavid

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from Penn's composition program? I know someone posted about having an interview with them, but it's been really quiet...

12 minutes ago, earplugs said:

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from Penn's composition program? I know someone posted about having an interview with them, but it's been really quiet...

I'm waiting too... haven't heard a peep. E-mailed a faculty member back at the beginning of February, but he couldn't give me any info one way or the other (and gave no indication of the time-line). I have a feeling that the notification of a granted interview is a good sign that we're no longer in consideration.

Thanks for sharing your info, Spank! I also think that no interview probably means rejection, but it's been a month since the report... Anyways, thanks again!

Edited by earplugs

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like it's been pretty dead for the last week or so.  Maybe it's the calm before the storm. 

I'd like to think I've been pretty patient up to this point, but now I'm waiting for an email about an assistantship that should be coming at any moment. It's killing me.... Decisions from Austin and Umich ought to be out soon too. My heart skips a beat every time I get an email...

Edited by PhDavid

On 3/6/2017 at 3:02 PM, ra42890 said:

Applied to doctoral programs at Teachers College and University of Washington in music education. Anyone heard anything from either of these places?

When I sent an updated CV to them in February, the woman told me that they would have decisions by the end of March, hopefully earlier but it seems like it's going by that timeline. I believe schools on the quarter system has their last week of the quarter this week, 

On 2/25/2017 at 1:14 AM, tammtam said:

has anyboy heard from UCs after Berkeley? UC Davis, UCSD, UCLA, UCSC? Well I saw someone posted his or her result of UCSC at the result section but only that and no more. And of USC?

Being an international, perhaps I stand the least chance above all the other applicants this term... I have ten more schools to hear about but seems like the worst nightmare is about to reveal itself.

I have still not heard anything from Davis, their quarter ends on the 24th so I'm hoping for something this week.

A little late to the party. I applied to NYU (Steinhardt), Berklee (Valencia Campus), and USC (Thornton) for a Master of Music in Screen Scoring/Film Scoring. 

• I was admitted to NYU on Feb 28 via email. 
  • Invited to interview at Berklee on Feb 23 via email. The interview went very well but I have not heard a decision since then. 
  • No word from USC, which is my first choice. 

Has anyone heard anything back from Thornton for any masters degree program? Same question for Berklee. 

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

14 hours ago, musicdegree4me said:

Read the history - can you summarize the schools you got into? Are you going to do a masters and then PhD?

Just curious to see how it turned out for you. 

I applied to four PhD programs and six masters programs. At this point I have been rejected by three of the PhD programs, and assume I will be rejected by the fourth (Umich) any day now, and was recommend for the MAPH program at UChicago (a special one-year master's program in the humanities) to which I was accepted and subsequently turned down for lack of funding. Of the masters programs I was rejected by two, accepted into three (Louisiana State University, University of Arizona, and Ohio State University), and hope to be accepted by the fourth and final (Northern Arizona University) in the coming days. One of these acceptances came with a fully funded teaching assistantship, which will continue on to a PhD if I choose to stay after my masters. I will most likely end up at this school unless a better offer (unlikely) comes from one of the schools I am still waiting to hear from. 

Edited by PhDavid

Hi, I'm new to thegradcafe and figured this is the best place to share experiences for grueling applications.

I've recently applied to 2 schools in Canada: University of Toronto and York University, of which both are in music composition. Got rejected from both and York's response is that they didn't have enough funding for international students at graduate level. Had to email their faculty directly about this since I couldn't find any admission email address on their site.

Anyway, I will be trying again for UoT this year for their fall 2018 intake. Has anyone ever applied/been accepted here for music composition? Any tips for my second attempt?

On 3/24/2017 at 7:34 AM, PhDavid said:

I applied to four PhD programs and six masters programs. At this point I have been rejected by three of the PhD programs, and assume I will be rejected by the fourth (Umich) any day now, and was recommend for the MAPH program at UChicago (a special one-year master's program in the humanities) to which I was accepted and subsequently turned down for lack of funding. Of the masters programs I was rejected by two, accepted into three (Louisiana State University, University of Arizona, and Ohio State University), and hope to be accepted by the fourth and final (Northern Arizona University) in the coming days. One of these acceptances came with a fully funded teaching assistantship, which will continue on to a PhD if I choose to stay after my masters. I will most likely end up at this school unless a better offer (unlikely) comes from one of the schools I am still waiting to hear from. 

Being that you're so young do you think there is any merit to waiting and improving your application and trying for your first choice schools? Your email seems a little unenthusiastic, but that may just be how I am reading it.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:43 AM, musicdegree4me said:

Being that you're so young do you think there is any merit to waiting and improving your application and trying for your first choice schools? Your email seems a little unenthusiastic, but that may just be how I am reading it.

My response was not at all intended to be unenthusiastic (although I can see how you would read it that way after reading through it again :)).  I am actually very excited to start on my master's in the fall, and I don't see it as a consolation prize in any way.  While it would have been great to start on a PhD at Chicago or Northwestern this fall, I honestly would be totally happy attending any of the schools I applied to. In any case, I think the best way to strengthen my application at this point is by getting a master's degree, and since I've received a fully funded offer it makes the decision that much easier.  I actually think it would be kind of ridiculous to wait another year and hold out for a "better school" when I have an offer like this waiting for me right now. 

17 hours ago, PhDavid said:

My response was not at all intended to be unenthusiastic (although I can see how you would read it that way after reading through it again :)).  I am actually very excited to start on my master's in the fall, and I don't see it as a consolation prize in any way.  While it would have been great to start on a PhD at Chicago or Northwestern this fall, I honestly would be totally happy attending any of the schools I applied to. In any case, I think the best way to strengthen my application at this point is by getting a master's degree, and since I've received a fully funded offer it makes the decision that much easier.  I actually think it would be kind of ridiculous to wait another year and hold out for a "better school" when I have an offer like this waiting for me right now. 

Cool! Makes much more sense if you are excited about your program. Which program will you be attending?

BTW I got in to the USC Screen Scoring program with a merit scholarship. So sounds like good news all around.

18 hours ago, musicdegree4me said:

Cool! Makes much more sense if you are excited about your program. Which program will you be attending?

BTW I got in to the USC Screen Scoring program with a merit scholarship. So sounds like good news all around.

Well I haven't officially accepted the offer yet, but I will most likely be attending Ohio State. 

Congrats to you! That's a fantastic program. 

On March 22, 2017 at 9:14 PM, musicdegree4me said:

A little late to the party. I applied to NYU (Steinhardt), Berklee (Valencia Campus), and USC (Thornton) for a Master of Music in Screen Scoring/Film Scoring. 

• I was admitted to NYU on Feb 28 via email. 
  • Invited to interview at Berklee on Feb 23 via email. The interview went very well but I have not heard a decision since then. 
  • No word from USC, which is my first choice. 

Has anyone heard anything back from Thornton for any masters degree program? Same question for Berklee. 

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

I also applied to a program at Berklee's Valencia Campus - curious if you've heard back yet? 

Ok seriously what is going on with university of Michigan theory?Their website says we will hear by April 1st.... this is the last school I'm waiting to hear from. 

On 4/13/2017 at 8:39 AM, PhDavid said:

The deadline to accept an offer for most programs is tomorrow. Has everyone made their decision?

I have accepted the scholarship offer from USC (Berklee also offered a scholarship) and will be attending their Master of Music in Screen Scoring program beginning this fall. Where did you wind up?