Update on Harvard BBS Acceptance Rate

PhDHopeful3

26 minutes ago, jeanetics17 said:

Maybe they're adjusting how many people they admit this year based on last year's results which they told us was a very big class (~70-75). Since so many people accepted last year, they probably think a similar trend will occur this year, and of course those are huge numbers in terms of cost for the program. When we didn't hear back last week, I suspected something was up and perhaps (I suspect) the 1st group of interviewees won't hear back until after the 2nd interview. Basically, I think they are going to pool all interviewees and cut from that instead of each weekend (reducing the amount accepted in total). 

Yeah I am suspecting the same. It's likely that we won't hear back till next Wed or so. What's even worse is that they MIGHT accept less people and put more people on wait list if they really want to control the size of the class.

FYI to all, I was informed by someone on the ADCOM that they're looking to fill 65-75 seats for 2017 incoming class. They're not looking to cut it down compared to last year. One of the reasons last year was so big is because the year prior, 2015, they had a waaay smaller class due to big snow storms blocking travel and deterring a lot of west coast applicants. Try not to worry too much :)

Can GSAS dictate the number of accepted students for BBS? I know that the MCO program itself is told by GSAS how many people they are allowed to accept, and that this is subject to change every year.

I'm not sure if it's GSAS-dictated or not. Pre-interviews but after interview offers had been sent out, I was told they're keen on filling 65-75. Don't forget, at the recruitment weekend they made it pretty clear that they've done their selecting, and that the weekend was intended for us to do our selecting :) 

Yes, some people won't get offers or may be placed on a waitlist, but by the time we look at the number of people offered interviews, the number they are looking to fill, and the need to over-offer to fill all those spots (plus the feeling and messages relayed to us at the weekend), I think it looks pretty good!

The immigration/visa issues might also have something to do with it. I know the hospitals are struggling right now to decide whether or not they can rank applicants for residency spots who are nationals of countries placed on the "ban" list. So perhaps that might be playing into the delay, perhaps some faculty involved in admissions were affected in some way, etc. 

Edited by PhDHopeful3

Yeah alternative to my theory above is that nothing is changing and they're really just busy with prep for the 2nd interview and other stuff; and haven't gotten around to making a decision yet. But based on previous years, I did expect to hear back by now. So I'm confused and don't know what they're doing. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

15 minutes ago, jeanetics17 said:

Sweating bullets. Unless you're trolling.

10 minutes ago, Nomad1111 said:

There are 3 acceptances on the results page now :/

Don't worry. Lots of my friends didn't heard anything today. I guess it's just because it's too late in EST. There would be way more tomorrow. It would be weird if only 3 of this forum got the acceptance.

Cross fingers for everyone on this thread!

3 minutes ago, desmond.bo said:

Don't worry. Lots of my friends didn't heard anything today. I guess it's just because it's too late in EST. There would be way more tomorrow. It would be weird if only 3 of this forum got the acceptance.

Cross fingers for everyone on this thread!

Wow. Congrats then! Waiting patiently...

4 minutes ago, hippopotamus said:

Got the call too! I'm sure more will come tomorrow

Around what time EST did you get the call? I am going to be in class/lab all day tomorrow and will be paranoid all day... lol

8 minutes ago, hippopotamus said:

Got the call too! I'm sure more will come tomorrow

4 hours ago, desmond.bo said:

Got an offer via a phone call from BBS. Good luck to everyone!

Big congrats! Gonna keep my finger crossed till next week or so:(