How to thank recommenders

UngSully

My professors submitted my LORs in early December, but I'm still waiting to hear from programs for interviews and probably won't know where I'm going until March or even April. I was planning on giving my professors a present as a thank-you for writing letters, but I'm worried about what this could imply. Should I wait until I've heard back from all the program I applied to? Should I be giving them presents at all? 

Waiting till you make your decision is probably fine, just bundle it with your announcement of where you are going. One of my ideas was getting a city coffee mug (from starbucks, even though I don't like starbucks it is a pretty cool mug) with the city I'm going to (or if someone makes a school version, maybe that) so they will remember where I went when I left them :-(. 

10 minutes ago, .letmeinplz// said:

Waiting till you make your decision is probably fine, just bundle it with your announcement of where you are going. One of my ideas was getting a city coffee mug (from starbucks, even though I don't like starbucks it is a pretty cool mug) with the city I'm going to (or if someone makes a school version, maybe that) so they will remember where I went when I left them :-(. 

Thanks! That's a cute idea :)

Last year, my roommate got the professors that wrote her recommendations chocolates. I'm still deciding what to get mine; I don't want it to come off as generic. I'm from a small undergrad school, so I know my professors pretty well and I know they wrote strong letters. I want to make sure they know how much I appreciate the time/effort they put into them. The mug idea is cute though, and a little more unique than chocolates. It's closer to what I'm looking for I think.

I don't think I thanked them... I mean, not beyond the spoken word. In the US you have a neat subculture of thanksgiving, I wish we had thank you notes back at home! :)

• 3 weeks later...