Theory-intensive programs

marina16

Currently, many graduate programs seem to be shifting to a more methods-intensive course of study.  While I understand the importance of methods, I am really interested in programs that more equally balanced or more theory-intensive.  Any knowledge of programs like this would be extremely helpful.

1 hour ago, bradley610 said:

Maryland is one of the best theory-focused programs, from what I've seen. Some of the other big names, like Harvard and Wisconsin also have people that can work with you directly on crafting your own theory.

Crafting your own theory might be a bit of a stretch as a graduate student. And the places you mention are still dependent upon the theoretical tradition one wants to be trained. For example, Wisconsin is primarily a quant oriented department. Their primary theorist, Emirbayer, is probably one of the best people in the world to learn Durkheim from. 

16 hours ago, bradley610 said:

Crafting theory is part of the job in general; it just depends how far one takes it. And theory creation is usually bound up in particular, narrowly-focused studies anyway. Thanks for the little explanation about Wisconsin; actually, I've corresponded with Dr. Emirbayer in the past about this very topic, as well as a couple of other professors at Wisconsin. They were enthusiastic about the possibility.

"Crafting theory" is not a part of the job anymore, although it certainly should be. American sociology has all but done away with theory. 

You're over-generalizing, and you should know that.

I know you think you sound intelligent, especially when you choose to add in unnecessary bits of information about professors that you (probably) haven't even worked with, but you really just sound pompous and defensive. The OP asked a question. I answered it. Let it go.

Not sure why you're getting all worked up nor is it clear why you're putting words in my mouth/making insults. My only point is that the discipline neglects theory and embraces positivist (or post positivists as they often refer to themselves) research. I'm not trying to sound any particular way. Do an empirical study on how many soc students can interpret the most elementary of social theory if you must. 

Also, I didn't "add in unnecessary bits of information about professors..." as I simply added to your point about Wisconsin. I praised Emirbayer for being one of the top theorists in the discipline. Also, not sure of the relevance regarding if I ever worked with him or not. Is it just another attempt by you to brag about sharing an email or two with him? Go ahead, put it on your CV if you think anyone cares (they don't). That doesn't negate the fact that the department's emphasis on theory doesn't go much beyond him. And insulting someone right before you tell them to "let it go" doesn't make you look like the bigger or moral person if that's what you were aiming for. 

8 minutes ago, jeffreylongbootom said:

Not sure why you're getting all worked up nor is it clear why you're putting words in my mouth/making insults. My only point is that the discipline neglects theory and embraces positivist (or post positivists as they often refer to themselves) research. I'm not trying to sound any particular way. Do an empirical study on how many soc students can interpret the most elementary of social theory if you must. 

Also, I didn't "add in unnecessary bits of information about professors..." as I simply added to your point about Wisconsin. I praised Emirbayer for being one of the top theorists in the discipline. Also, not sure of the relevance regarding if I ever worked with him or not. Is it just another attempt by you to brag about sharing an email or two with him? Go ahead, put it on your CV if you think anyone cares (they don't). That doesn't negate the fact that the department's emphasis on theory doesn't go much beyond him. And insulting someone right before you tell them to "let it go" doesn't make you look like the bigger or moral person if that's what you were aiming for. 

Wisconsin is a huge department. While it does have a general reputation of being stronger in empirical, quantitative work, there's still a bevy of theorists there (even outside of Emirbayer).  I don't think any aspiring social theorist should shy away from applying to Wisconsin-Madison. I personally identified Emirbayer, Goldberg, Ermakoff & Olin Wright as people I could see myself working profitably with. 

12 minutes ago, theorynetworkculture said:

Wisconsin is a huge department. While it does have a general reputation of being stronger in empirical, quantitative work, there's still a bevy of theorists there (even outside of Emirbayer).  I don't think any aspiring social theorist should shy away from applying to Wisconsin-Madison. I personally identified Emirbayer, Goldberg, Ermakoff & Olin Wright as people I could see myself working profitably with. 

Ahh, forgot all about Goldberg and Ermakoff. Wright might be approaching retirement age, though. Nevertheless, I still stand by my point regarding the relationship between theory and the discipline. 

You decided to add your own little and unnecessary commentary to my initial post, not I to yours. Please just go away. I never bothered you, but you decided to bother me. And not only that, but what you said is not even correct. Why even bother me with it if that's the case? I hope you don't do this kind of thing very often. It's pointless.

Me saying Emirbayer is one of the best theorists in the country is unnecessary in a post asking about places to study theory? Bothering? You attacked me first after I simply said the discipline is hardly concerned with theory anymore. If you think I'm "wrong" about that relationship, all you have to do is take a look at the job boards and you'll see a.) quantoids get all the jobs and b.) they ignorantly bash anything theory related. Sorry if you feel "bothered," by all that, sunshine. But if you want people to leave you alone, the best way to achieve that is to not attack them or to just simply stop responding. You're pointless.

3 hours ago, bradley610 said:

It must be a sad life for you, man, getting your kicks by trying (and failing) to correct people in internet fora. When you get pointed  out as the moron you can't just let it go. It's cool.

But you're the one continuing to express such frustration in your responses. Whiney little thing, Bradley. The major point I made, regarding theory and it's relationship to the discipline, wasn't "corrected." So you have a low criteria for achieving "moron" status. You have such a great and powerful mind so I'm sure you'll "construct" so much awesome theory as a first year grad student next year. You'll rival Marx and Weber after your first semester. Please send me a signed copy of your Wisconsin emails so I can say I was trolled by our species's best social theorist in over one hundred years.  

Anticipate the mods shutting this weird interaction down any moment now. Perhaps you just childishly feel the need to get the last word since you have your identity attached to your profile.