What would you choose? And why?

Adelaide9216

Hello guys, I have a question.

My master's topic focuses on indigenous peoples. I just got an acceptance letter this week that I'm in for a program in which I will be supervised by an indigenous teacher next fall at the master's level. However, I have a teacher at my current university, with whom I've been working for the last three years, who is a chairholder, guarantees me work throughout my entire graduate studies and even a research internship for my master's diploma... but she is not indigenous herself and I have a bit of a dilemma of possibly re-creating dynamics of oppression if I work with an non-indigenous researcher considering the fact that I am non-indigenous myself.

What option would you choose? 

If it was me? I'd go to the program where I'd be supervised by the indigenous teacher, assuming there are no red flags regarding the rest of the program.

Then again, I'm not very risk averse. Where you're at seems to be the safer choice.

How's the funding at the program where you've been accepted? Funding would weigh my decision heavily, especially considering you've been informally offered some measure of funding at your current location.

Is there a chance you can still collaborate with the indigenous teacher if you stay at your current school? I believe your instincts are important--there is a long history of researchers reinforcing dynamics of oppression when the research is not guided by indigenous peoples themselves. I am glad you're giving this such careful thought. 

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I had this conversation a few months ago with an indigenous activist, who said the same thing, basically that she is glad that I am thinking so deeply about this. I guess it is my background as a woman of color who helps me being sensitive to those types of issues in academia and research. She did mention that it is not a problem for non-indigenous peoples to do research on indigenous peoples as long as it is done respectfully and by fully including them throughout the whole process (which is what I will do and have done in many ways.) Some of the ways that I want to be inclusive is to partner with indigenous communities on the ethics board for the feasibility of my research project, I've also volunteered in the community at a indigenous women's shelter to give something back and I would like my master's thesis to be translated in indigenous language for people from the community to have an easier access to it when it will be published.

Do you think of other ways I could include indigenous people in the entire process? 

The thing is that the indigenous teacher, I have never worked with her before, and she will be on sabbatical leave next fall which is when I'll start my master's. So I'll pretty much be left on my own. I also know that the funding is a lot less stable and secure at that university instead of the one I am currently in. The teacher at my current university told me that our university is reknown for our work with indigenous people. My heart tells me to keep working with her, but I do feel uncomfortable because of the fact that we'll both be non-indigenous.

It is mainly the main reason why I haven't accepted the offer I got this week yet from the university with the indigenous teacher. Because I don't think I'll be that secure with her, especially since she won't be around for a couple of months...

I'm not super familiar with the issue of indigenous people, although I know in my field it would be both a (potential) luxury and a rarity to have an indigenous supervisor, so most folks who go into that sub-field would have a non-indigenous teacher and they all seem to get by fine. I'm not sure having an indigenous teacher automatically guarantees superior research, but admittedly it's not my field. How renowned is your current professor vs indigenous prof? If you have worked with your current professor for three years, is it safe to assume she knows her stuff? Have you talked to her about these concerns? From my outside perspective, it sounds like you're getting a really good deal at your current institution (provided there's funding), and I would go with that option. I also turned down a program on the basis that my prospective supervisor was going to be on sabbatical as well - kind of a deal breaker for me, although it was only a one year program in all fairness. No point going to study with someone if they're not there, but if it's a 3+ year PhD program then it's a bit different.

Yes, it is very rare to find any indigenous researchers at all. But I know that indigenous peoples can sit on some of the "ethics board" for research and give their approval on what they think is ethical or not for student researchers and I am going to go through that process as well.