Berkeley Goldman MPP 2017

Foj

8 hours ago, coffeewalk said:

Hey just a heads up to double check course and section times with courses you want to take at GSPP. Out of the like 15 polisci GSI positions, only 1 works with my schedule (I think).

I only applied to one too! I looked at the core structure and scheduled around PP220, PP210, and PP240. PP260 isn't offered, so I'm thinking maybe I should take PP250 instead OR just chill out and find a class that fits if I get a GSI position. 

• 4 weeks later...

Do any current or former students have any opinion about taking a half time (20 hr/wk) GSI position for one's first semester?

I have the opportunity to take one on, but I'm not sure how difficult the quantitative courses will be for me and I'm worried it will be too much.  My quant skills/background are probably mediocre compared to many of my fellow students, and those courses may require a good bit of studying on my part. On the other hand, I don't want to miss out on getting a GSI/Reader position of some kind, so maybe I should just take it and bust  my ass...?

The potential tuition reduction is the primary reason I chose Berkeley over competing schools, so I'd still be looking for a 10 hr/wk position if I don't take this half time one. 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, LifeOnMars said:

Do any current or former students have any opinion about taking a half time (20 hr/wk) GSI position for one's first semester?

I have the opportunity to take one on, but I'm not sure how difficult the quantitative courses will be for me and I'm worried it will be too much.  My quant skills/background are probably mediocre compared to many of my fellow students, and those courses may require a good bit of studying on my part. On the other hand, I don't want to miss out on getting a GSI/Reader position of some kind, so maybe I should just take it and bust  my ass...?

The potential tuition reduction is the primary reason I chose Berkeley over competing schools, so I'd still be looking for a 10 hr/wk position if I don't take this half time one. 

Thanks!

I am so jealous you have the opportunity! I have been applying like crazy without much success. I spoke to many students about the workload as a GSI and all of them said it was manageable. It just depends on your priorities I guess. What is more important to you-- putting your 100% in class and getting everything out of two years in grad school or the additional income? 

On 5/16/2017 at 11:46 AM, LifeOnMars said:

Thanks!

You can do it! Honestly second semester first year is much harder, and I am thankful I did a 50% first semester and a lower position second. I took 17 units fall and was a 50% GSI for a very involved class and thought it was manageable, though there are some very busy weeks.

• 7 months later...
On 4/13/2017 at 5:20 PM, coffeebean13 said:

I will be pursuing a joint MPP at HKS and Master in Urban Planning at the Harvard Graduate School of Design. It was a better fit. If it was just the MPP at HKS vs Goldman or MPA at WWS, I would've gone to Berkeley - The program, faculty, and students were phenomenal. 

If you have an opinion formed already, how has your first semester been so far pursing this path? I'm currently applying for the concurrent programs you decided on at Harvard and, though I'm worried about getting in obviously, I think I'm more worried about getting in and not being able to pay for the awesome opportunity to study there. Any tips?

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question, I received an acceptance same time as y'all, but my email stated that an official acceptance from the graduate division will follow shortly, it's not arrived yet and my Berkeley application management page has not changed either. Is this the same for y'all as well?